× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RAX200 Ethernet ports stop working

11oydyboy
Aspirant

RAX200 Ethernet ports stop working

So I am having the same issue with my RAX200 which has worked fine for over 2 years. 

Firmware Version V1.0.10.140_1.0.79.  ISP is Virginmedia, RAX200 is connected to the VM Hub 4 in modem mode.  Whether its in modem mode only or not the LAN ports dropping out still occurs.  I have a Reolink NVR connected via a powerline adaptor (TP-link AV1300).

What did I try?:

1. Reboot, didn't work.
  2. Swapping out different ethernet cables in Port 1 (no LAN lights).
  3. Swapping out different ethernet cables in the other ports (no LAN lights).
  4. Repeating points 2 & 3 with a different device, i.e NVR and Laptop, no change.
  5. Resetting the router, fixed the issue for about 3 days.  LAN lights starting working on re-boot, wired devices showing in "connected devices" table.

Did anyone actually find a solution??

Message 1 of 11
Kitsap
Master

Re: RAX200 Ethernet ports stop working

@11oydyboy wrote:

So I am having the same issue with my RAX200 which has worked fine for over 2 years. 

Firmware Version V1.0.10.140_1.0.79.  ISP is Virginmedia, RAX200 is connected to the VM Hub 4 in modem mode.  Whether its in modem mode only or not the LAN ports dropping out still occurs.  I have a Reolink NVR connected via a powerline adaptor (TP-link AV1300).

What did I try?:

1. Reboot, didn't work.
  2. Swapping out different ethernet cables in Port 1 (no LAN lights).
  3. Swapping out different ethernet cables in the other ports (no LAN lights).
  4. Repeating points 2 & 3 with a different device, i.e NVR and Laptop, no change.
  5. Resetting the router, fixed the issue for about 3 days.  LAN lights starting working on re-boot, wired devices showing in "connected devices" table.

Did anyone actually find a solution??

It does matter and it does matter a lot.  Different manufacturers can have different and inconsistent definitions of "modem only" mode.  Configuring your VM 4 Hub to allow a downstream router can be more complex than selecting modem only mode.  That is an issue you will have to work with VM on.

Another option you have is to put your VM 4 hub in router mode and configure your RAX200 in access point mode.  In access point mode your RAX200 will broadcast Wi-Fi and your Ethernet ports should function fine.

When you make major changes to the configuration of the piece parts of your local area network, you need to power down (pull the power cord) on all of the devices and perform a sequential startup to allow the devices to connect and work with each other.  After the power down wait a couple of minutes then power up your VM 4 hub, give it plenty of time to boot and stabilize.  Then power up your RAX200 and do the same.  Now you can connect your devices downstream of the RAX200.

Message 2 of 11
plemans
Guru

I'd agree with @Kitsap . Try putting the vm hub back in router mode (disable its wifi) and try the RAX in access point mode. 

it wouldn't be the first time an ISP pushed out an update to their gateway and caused issues. 

Message 3 of 11
11oydyboy
Aspirant

Hi both

I will try AP mode since it wasn’t configured that way. What the hell it’s not working so happy to give it a go.
Message 4 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

When you switched the modem to modem mode, did you reconfigure the RAX for router mode as well? 

Message 5 of 11
11oydyboy
Aspirant

Sure. I used the wizard and it worked for a few days.
Message 6 of 11
Kitsap
Master

@11oydyboy wrote:

Is the wizard some part of an application on a mobile device?

If yes, you need to connect to the router with a real computer, an Ethernet cable, and use a web browser to configure the settings.

Message 7 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Does the router seem to be running hot or extra warm when this happens? 

What happens if you place a USB laptop cooler fan under the router? 

Downgrade FW back to last version of FW you had loaded?

@11oydyboy wrote:

Message 8 of 11
11oydyboy
Aspirant

There is a setup wizard on the web UI. I did a fresh start and it’s working so far.
Message 9 of 11
11oydyboy
Aspirant

Router seems fine temp wise it’s on top of a side cabinet, the fan fires up on restarting but don’t normally hear it otherwise. Thing about this issue is that I didn’t consciously change anything before it started playing up.
Message 10 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Might consider putting a USB fan cooler under the router for some additional cooling. I keep one under mine all the time. 

Message 11 of 11
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7