× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RAXE500 frequent device drops in house

kpaskevicius
Aspirant

RAXE500 frequent device drops in house

I'm having a timely issue where my new RAXE500 keeps dropping my family's connection. 

We originally used xfinity gateway with xfinity pods, which is outperforming this RAXE500 and AX6000 x2 extenders setup I have. 

I cannot figure out why it is dropping connections or having people sign back in vs just auto-connecting back in. 

sometimes getting "connected, no internet" and loading loops that were not there before.

using the xfinity modem still as the modem and turned off the router with bridge mode.

I'm not using the qos option.

let me know if need other info.

Model: RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 14
plemans
Guru

Re: RAXE500 frequent device drops in house

What modem/gateway do you have it connected to? 

You have 2x extenders? what size is the home? I usually don't recommend using more than 1 extender and if you do need more than 1, a mesh system is a better choice (like the xinfity) as there's something controlling it. 

Not so when using mesh extenders. 

What firmware is on the router? 

And on the extenders? 

Does it stay stable if you power off one of the extenders? 

Message 2 of 14
kpaskevicius
Aspirant

Hardware Version RAXE500

Firmware Version V1.0.10.86_2.0.40

Hardware Version: EAX80

Firmware Version: V1.0.1.70_1.0.2

I recently have tried to get the fast lane on extenders going. 

3 floors, awkward house design. 

as a side note again, xfinity pods were fine for my family originally. 

The fast lane is supposed to be using both 5ghz and 2.4 together , looks like improving speed tests.

But the main problem is still the soft disconnects, making family have to sign back in.

Mobile devices don't seem to be connected to the extenders directly when I review the connected devices on the app.

Extenders are closer to more people.

RAXE500 . Devices online (17)

EAX80       Devices online (3)

EAX80       Devices online (1) 

Message 3 of 14
plemans
Guru

Problem with the extenders is they can end up connecting to each other. 

You'd want them set up so the router is in the middle in a star configuration

extender<--------router-------->extender

And I'd try powering on off and testing the system. 

You can get the behavior you're seeing if they end up connecting to each other and not the router. 

Also, fastlane dedicates one of the bands (either 2.4ghz or 5ghz) for router----extender communication and then uses the other band for extender-----devices. 

Message 4 of 14
kpaskevicius
Aspirant

I attached a jpg of my router setup on my netgear app. is that correctly in the middle? or is there another way?

Message 5 of 14

Did you ever say what sits between the RAXE500 and the Internet?

or is there another way?

It depends on the layout of the house and the distance been these things.

If the router is in the middle of the house and those extenders are between it and the extremities, that would work, but if the router is at one end of the house, then "daisy chained", with one between the router and the other one, can work better.

As @plemans says, one extender might be better, depending on the layout. Three floors doesn't say much about the distance between them. If the router is on the ground floor, then a single extender on the second floor might work.

Extenders are best put somewhere between the router and the edge of the property. There's  no point in putting them near the outside walls or on the top floor, unless you want to serve the neighbours, or want WiFi in the garden.

Have you experimented with that layout?

Message 6 of 14
kpaskevicius
Aspirant

It is Xfinity Gateway, Bridge Mode, to the Netgear Router in router mode. 

Currently, router in another's bedroom based on the way the setup must be, but then extender on same middle floor off to the side, and other extender in basement, middle floor and upstairs connect with less walls. 

Message 7 of 14

@kpaskevicius wrote:

It is Xfinity Gateway, Bridge Mode, to the Netgear Router in router mode. 

Doesn't actually tell tell us much, without a model number, but it may not matter.

Currently, router in another's bedroom based on the way the setup must be, but then extender on same middle floor off to the side, and other extender in basement, middle floor and upstairs connect with less walls. 

So, the router is in the middle (first) floor?

Is this basement >> ground floor >> first floor >> second floor?

Or basement >> ground floor >> first floor 

Hard to follow from three floors. (Sometimes people add "basement" to make a fourth floor)

It may be the horizontal distance that matters. (You said it is an odd shape.)

Have you tried moving the extenders around the place?

Message 8 of 14
plemans
Guru

You're in a recipe for issues with how you have the extenders. 

Mesh extenders aren't designed to be used with multiple ones. You can do so but if they can see each others ssid's, they can end up connecting to each other and have issues/stability problems. Its why I don't recommend them if you're needing more than 1. 

Options to see if you can make it work?

1. separate them out. If you're on a 3x level, have an extender in the basement, router in the middle, extender on top. and you might have to turn the extenders broadcast power down. But they should be far enough away from each other to not see each others signal

2. turn one off and centrally locate the router and other extender so you don't have that issue

3. disable smart connect on one (or both) extenders so they're forced to connect to the router and not to each other. Start with one of them. 

4. If you're needing 2x extenders and want single ssid function sell the whole setup and move a mesh system thats designed to accomplish what you want. Mesh systems have the router controlling the satellites so they're forced into preset connections. Much more stable. 

Message 9 of 14

@plemans wrote:

You're in a recipe for issues with how you have the extenders. 

Yup.

Message 10 of 14
kpaskevicius
Aspirant

I can't seem to find that option for disabling smart connect. Which would it equate to? 

Message 11 of 14
Kitsap
Master

@kpaskevicius wrote:

I can't seem to find that option for disabling smart connect. Which would it equate to? 

Under General, set enable one Wi-Fi name to No.  You will have to provide separate and different SSID's for each band, and then save your changes.

Message 12 of 14
kpaskevicius
Aspirant

Thanks, is there a problem if my extenders show almost no one connected over the router itself?

Update: router is in middle of the house, 2nd floor

extender: in the basement, 1st floor

extender: upstairs, 3rd floor

My main concern is sometimes my phone will have pretty fast Youtube videos, but sometimes will not load things like Weather Channel App or messages, and that is also for my family members. 

What could I tweak for that to replicate the xfinity pod ease of use?

Message 13 of 14

@Kitsap wrote:

@kpaskevicius wrote:

Under General, set enable one Wi-Fi name to No.  You will have to provide separate and different SSID's for each band, and then save your changes.

Also, manuals are always a good place to start.

Support | NETGEAR

Feed in your model number and check the documentation for your hardware.

Check the section in the manual Enable or disable Smart Connect.

Message 14 of 14
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7