× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

VPN setup Nighthawk router

sonofdad
Aspirant

VPN setup Nighthawk router

Is their a more definitive or updated instruction on enable Open VPN on a Nighthawk router than what is provided online by Netgear I'm trying to setup on a Nighthawk AX8 with up to date firmware, I say again UP TO DATE FIRMWARE v1.0.5.132 and the instruction I linked to seems either badly written or out of date.

I've installed the 64-bit version of OpenVPN on a Windows 10 tablet and extracted the config files provided in the setup instruction:

ca.crt
client.crt
client.key

client1.ovpn

to C:\Program Files\OpenVPN\config

The OpenVPN TAP-Windows6 adapter created from the OpenVPN installer has been renamed from OpenVPN TAP-Windows6 to NEATGEAR-VPN and the OpenVPN run.

Right clicking the OpenVPN > client1 > connect errors out

Screenshot (42) - Copy.png

I've also installed Open VPN - Fast & Safe SSL VPN Client from OpenVPN on the Google Play Store and again copied the files included by Netgear

ca.crt
client.crt
client.key

client3.ovpn

onto my Android device.

Opening the app and needing to import profile I tap File then Browse and locate the client3.ovpn file only to again be met with an error.Screenshot_20220204-134238.jpg

Model: RAX80|Nighthawk AX8 8-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5
Kitsap
Master

Re: VPN setup Nighthawk router

A couple of background issues.  You cannot test your VPN connection from home while connected to Wi-Fi from the same router where your VPN server is running.  Test from some location where you actually go through the internet to get to your router.

On an Android device before importing the profile, you must place the four configuration files in the top level of the memory on the main device.  They cannot be located on an SD card or lower level directory on your main device.

The VPN applications on both Windows and Android generate detailed logs of the connection process.  They might hold some information as to why a connection is not being made.

Message 2 of 5
sonofdad
Aspirant

Thanks for the info on Android I've moved the files from Downloads into what appears to be the most high level fold but still get the same error. 

As for the Windows 10 device I had it using mobile hot spot in order to test the connection

Message 3 of 5
Kitsap
Master

On the Android device after you moved the configuration files, you would need to delete and then re-import the profile.  Attached is a screen snip of the file structure on my Samsung tablet.  The only three stand alone files in the top level are three different ovpn profiles.

I personally have tried to connect through two or three different mobile hotspots, one stand alone device from Verizon and one or two from different iPhones.  None were successful.  Mobile hotspots and their capabilities are really carrier specific.  Yet I have no problems connecting to the vpn through Wi-Fi at a restaurant, park, airport, neighbors house, etc.

Message 4 of 5
Razor512
Prodigy

For android, to import the VPN config, after configuring it in the router (esetting up DDNS if needed), and setting it to allow internet access if needed, and then enabling it and applying, then download the configuration file for smartphone.

It will come as a zip file. Unzip that file to a new folder, and then copy that folder to your smartphone. (the files in there need to be together in their own folder for best results).

Then using an app like openvpn connect https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.openvpn.openvpn browse to the folder and import the profile, the .ovpn file will read from the other 3 files to get the rest of the info that it needs. To test it, disconnect from WiFi and connect over LTE to see if the VPN server is working.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7