× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

netgear nighthawk ax12 rax120v2 randomly disconnecting

NetGerWard
Aspirant

netgear nighthawk ax12 rax120v2 randomly disconnecting

My Netgear Nighthawk ax12 rax120v2 randomly disconnects after about 9 months of continuous use. After performing a traceroute, my computer is able to connect locally to the router when this occurs. However, the connection has trouble getting past the router to the Cox DNS server. Any insight? The router is on the current firmware and the NTP server is set to the correct timezone. The router says there is no internet connection or struggles to flush an internet connection when this occurs as indicated in the firmware under internet status being "Detecting". Originally I thought the problem was the port due to excessive use, but after switching the internet port used within the firmware to the 5 Gbps port the issue still persisted the next day. If this issue is not the router which it doesn't appear to be I think the modem is the culprit. The modem is an arris surfboard touchstone cm8200 that is about 2-3 years old.

aasdasd.png

Message 1 of 14

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: netgear nighthawk ax12 rax120v2 randomly disconnecting

Please load up this beta:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-with-WiFi-6-AX-and/New-RAX120-RAX120v2-Firmware-Version-1...

Factory reset the router and setup from scratch. A complete pull of the power adapters for a period of time after the factory reset then walk thru the setup wizard and setup from scratch with a wired PC and web browser. Recommend setting the default DHCP IP address pool range to the following after applying and a factory reset: 192.168.#.100 to 192.168.#.200.
https://kb.netgear.com/24089/How-do-I-specify-the-pool-of-IP-addresses-assigned-by-my-Nighthawk-rout...

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 14

All Replies
NetGerWard
Aspirant

This also happens every day at the same time, around 5-7pm.

Message 2 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6 is recommended. 

What is the first 3 characters of the routers serial number in back? 

Message 3 of 14
NetGerWard
Aspirant

What Firmware version is currently loaded?

Router Firmware Version V1.2.8.40

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

The modem is a Arris touchstone CM8200

Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6 is recommended. 

The ethernet cable between the modem and router is a cat8 that when tested with an ethernet tester are all properly wired in the correct order.

What is the first 3 characters of the routers serial number in back? 

6JY

Message 4 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Please load up this beta:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-with-WiFi-6-AX-and/New-RAX120-RAX120v2-Firmware-Version-1...

Factory reset the router and setup from scratch. A complete pull of the power adapters for a period of time after the factory reset then walk thru the setup wizard and setup from scratch with a wired PC and web browser. Recommend setting the default DHCP IP address pool range to the following after applying and a factory reset: 192.168.#.100 to 192.168.#.200.
https://kb.netgear.com/24089/How-do-I-specify-the-pool-of-IP-addresses-assigned-by-my-Nighthawk-rout...

Message 5 of 14
NetGerWard
Aspirant

Alright, this solution has been implemented. I will keep you posted on the results in this threat. Thankyou for this suggestion I was very lost as to why this was occuring!!!!

Message 6 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

👍

Message 7 of 14
NetGerWard
Aspirant

It looks like this has resolved the issue! Thank you for the solution provided.

Message 8 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it working. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/24231/How-do-I-back-up-the-router-configuration-settings-on-my-Nighthawk-rout...
Enjoy. 📡

Message 9 of 14
NetGerWard
Aspirant

Hi again,

The issue still persisted despite the changes applied. I am using DDNS and vpn services in the router. Would this cause this?

Message 10 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Try not using DDNS or VPN. 

Just use DNS from the ISP or set a custom DNS address of cloudfare, google or quad 9

Message 11 of 14
NetGerWard
Aspirant

The purpose of DDNS is to give my external IP address a hostname. The purpose of using the vpn service function is to give externally connected devices access to my home network. When these timeout events occur it's not when the vpn service is enabled but I did have it enabled yesterday. Could this be a cause?

Message 12 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Just try not using DDNS or VPN. 

Just use DNS from the ISP or set a custom DNS address of cloudfare, google or quad 9

Message 13 of 14
NetGerWard
Aspirant

Yeah, after not using DDNS and the VPN service I haven't had any issues. Thank you!

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7