× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
× Introducing the new Orbi 770 Series Mesh System. To learn more click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RS700S What gives with the lack of documentation

jmiltons
Aspirant

RS700S What gives with the lack of documentation

I finally received my much awaited RS700. I am very excited to get it set up and see what it can do. However, I am struggling with the lack of availability of documentation. From the Netgear site the only documentation I have seen is Installation (one page) and Specifications (one page). I have been around the tech world quite a while and do not profess to the being the know-everything person. But, I have a sound understanding of router functionality. I do however need more information than provided. For example, what is the technical differences between the new Security Options and why are three of the disabled? 

RS700:

jmiltons_0-1695574358074.png

RAX80 (my older device):

jmiltons_1-1695574399998.png

Where are the user manuals with the details?????

Message 1 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RS700S What gives with the lack of documentation

Agreed, not like NG to not have a UM with new stuff. May still be in development and editing. Will need to be patient on this.

What Browser are you using? 

What FW is loaded? 

You can't select NONE or any of the other two items? Looks like this maybe a bug. 

Message 2 of 9
ShadowMario3
Apprentice

I believe that the reason that they are grayed out is because you would use the same SSID for the 2.4 GHz, 5 GHz, and 6 GHz wireless bands. The WPA2 Personal and WPA3 Personal security options are the only type of security that overlaps all three bands.

If you uncheck "Enable Smart Connect" near the top, those options will no longer be grayed out for their respective bands.

Message 3 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Great Info. Makes some sense there...

Message 4 of 9
jmiltons
Aspirant

Thanks, I have used several browsers: Edge, Chrome, and FireFox but with the same result. I will give it some time to see if docs are still under review. 

Message 5 of 9
jmiltons
Aspirant

Maybe? but the consolidated SSD is turned on for both devices. I bet that documentation would tell me that. 🤣

Message 6 of 9
ShadowMario3
Apprentice

Are you not able to uncheck the box? I'm able to on the latest FireFox with no issue. Here's an image of what I am talking about:

ShadowMario3_0-1695664430947.png

Once you uncheck it, the other security options should no longer be grayed out.

Message 7 of 9
schumaku
Guru

... it's probably your first device including a 6 GHz Wi-Fi radio. While this is not about 801.11be, WPA3 or for the sake alternatively OWE are mandatory for 6 GHz. 

Message 8 of 9
schumaku
Guru

@jmiltons wrote:

I finally received my much awaited RS700. I am very excited to get it set up and see what it can do. However, I am struggling with the lack of availability of documentation. From the Netgear site the only documentation I have seen is Installation (one page) and Specifications (one page).

Where are the user manuals with the details?????

Everything is readily available on https://www.netgear.com/support/product/rs700s#docs 

RS700 Security Options.PNG

Granted, it was not in place when the Internet Archive (WBM) crawled these pages. on 23-SEP-2023

WBM 23-SEP-2023.PNG

Nice to know for the future reader, the Orbi WiFi 7 Router Model RBE971 and Orbi WiFi 7 Satellite Model RBE970 documentation, including the UM, is already available, too. 

Fancy a little bit more confusion?

The Wi-Fi Alliance, the group that defines WPA3, specifies a few different modes of operation for different deployments. The naming is a little bit de-mystified by Netgear. These modes include different minimum requirements for different 802.11 features.

WPA3-SAE mode - Netgear does talk of WPA3-Personal - A type of WPA3-Personal that requires the use of Protected Management Frames (PMF).

WPA3-SAE transition mode - Netgear does talk of WPA2-Personal + WPA3-Personal - A type of WPA3-Personal that requires an endpoint to be capable of using Protected Management Frames (PMF), but not required, in situations where both WPA3 and WPA2-PSK are enabled on the same endpoint. In this case, attempts to use SAE are rejected if PMFs are not used.

Message 9 of 9
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series