Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi AX4200 (RBK752) and Circle Support

paulhimle
Tutor

Orbi AX4200 (RBK752) and Circle Support

The following is a dramatization of my recent NETGEAR Orbi AX4200 (RBK752) purchase…

(Spoiler: Not a good one)

Boss (Wife):

The kids have total and complete free access to the internet and even more time to use it. Do something about it.

So, I said to Myself:

Self, we should get a router or something with parental controls on it and it would be nice to upgrade the Wi-Fi too, let's see what’s out there…

Self:

Well, let’s take a look at NETGEAR, I hear they have teamed up with a company called Circle to provide parental controls and they might even be better than ‘Brand L’ we usually use.

Myself:

Self! Look! They have some new (and shiny) Wi-Fi 6 mesh routers! But I can’t see if it supports the Circle parental controls or not.

Self:

Well search on the Circle feature to see if it is supported.

Myself:

Oh yeah, great idea! Look, here is the page about why I should use Circle and it says the article applies to the Orbi AX4200’s router. (Yes!) https://kb.netgear.com/000052290/What-is-Circle-and-why-should-I-use-it-with-my-Orbi-WiFi-System

Self:

Are you sure? Since this is pretty expensive I think you should double check with pre-sales support.

Myself: Fine. I’ll ask… But it says it does on their webpage (grumble, grumble).

…Sometime later…

Myself:

See Self, I did a chat with P****** A and after I waited forever for them to check they said “Since the device you have is Orbi Wifi and our orbi devices supports the feature of parental controls and thus circle app is also supported.” (Yes!)

Self:

Well, it meets the Boss’s (wife’s) requirements and it is an upgrade, but it is a bit spendy so check with the Boss.

Myself:

Boss, I humbly bring you the results of my search, may I purchase this very kid friendly (and new and shiny) Wi-Fi system?

Boss (Wife):

Well it is expensive but our children’s safety is important so go ahead.

Myself: Hey Self, you hear that, we got it! (Yes!)

…The next day after setting the Orbi up and logging in everything except the kitchen sink to the new Wi-Fi…

Self:

Hmm, I don’t see where to enable the parental controls or Circle on the Orbi app. Myself, what is this about?

Myself:

I don’t know, you probably just can find it, let me look… I don’t see it either, I’ll call tomorrow or something.

…The next day…

Self:

You better check on those parental controls before the Boss asks what’s going on.

Myself:

Fine.

Support:

Your product does not support Circle.

Myself:

What?! But I was told I said it would. What am I supposed to do?! (Panicking, cold sweats and such)

Support:

You could buy the Circle Home Plus.

Myself:

You want me to spend more $$ after spending $$$$ on the product you said would give me parental controls?! When will it have Circle?!

Support:

When the engineers tell us it will. Maybe you can call Circle and they will tell you.

Myself:

….

Support:

Anything else?

Myself:

Thank you for your help but I think I will take this to social media.

…Next day…

Boss (Wife):

WHAT DO YOU MEAN IT DOESN’T WORK! TAKE IT BACK, NOW! (Lightning, thunder, red eyes and such)

Myself:

Humbly begging your forgiveness but it is a very nice Wi-Fi system (and new and shiny)…

Self:

Myself, shut up for a minute. Boss let me try finding out some more information and maybe even some more options before sending it back.

End of dramatization.

So, NETGEAR, How do you plan on fixing this situation?

Thanks,

Paul (Self and Myself too)

Message 1 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi AX4200 (RBK752) and Circle Support

Does the default standard access controls work any?

If you want or need Circle, I recommend you find a RBK50 series Orbi system that does support Circle and Armor. 

We don't know IF or when Orbi AX will be getting Circle support. 

Message 2 of 9
paulhimle
Tutor

I know there are other NETGEAR options out there but I was not interested in them. I don't feel this is a case where I (the customer having been made a commitment) should be required to accept a solution were NETGEAR dosn't at least make an effort to fix the problem. If they have another option/product that does not require me to down grade I am more than happy to listen.

If by standard access controls you mean turning off the individual devices access manually, then yes. If not, I don't think so.

Message 3 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Well, you have it then. 

You'll need to manually block access until such time as NG makes Circle supported on Orbi AX. Something you can discuss with them.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Circle-Smart-Parental-Controls/bd-p/en-home-circle

Again, no idea if or when Circle is forth coming to Orbi AX. 

Good Luck. 

Message 4 of 9
paulhimle
Tutor

Support told me to call Circle and ask them... LOL

Message 5 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 6 of 9
57ay
Apprentice

Change the DNS servers to a Child safe one! just as good as using circle.

eg I use

See cleanbrowsing DNS filters https://cleanbrowsing.org/filters

Enjoy problem resolved.

Message 7 of 9
57ay
Apprentice

eg I use

Enjoy problem resolved.

Message 8 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Thank you for letting us know a work around solution. Glad it works for you. Hopefully it will help others that are wanting Circle support. 

Smiley Wink

Users can also use DDNS servers as well and make configurations on there site. Services like OpenDNS is one. 

@57ay wrote:

eg I use

Enjoy problem resolved.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 18 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7