Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

FatButt
Aspirant

Hoping to revive this thread and get some assistance. I still have a support contract, but so far Netgear Support has not been able to provide an answer.

I have the ORBI AX4200 Hardware Version is the RBR750. My firmware is up to date. I have the same symptoms as the original poster. Anywhere Access is enabled on my phone and I can administrate parental controls and other settings when I am away from my network. However, I get pop-up windows that say "We can't find your Orbi". After I click on X at top left to dismiss this, I see a "Unable to Connect to Router RECONNECT" message at the bottom of the app. If I attempt to RECONNECT, I get the same popup that says "We can't find your Orbi".

I also am able to use the functions on my router and I ignore the Unable to Connect to Router RECONNECT" message at the bottom of the app. It is an annoyance at this point, and I'm hoping that new problems don't occur.

I also have tried to uninstall and reinstall the app on my phone, but the problem persists.

Next steps are for me to reset my Account Password, uninstall the apps again, and then try to login again.

Any help or advice is much appreciated.

Message 1 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

It is really frustrating that Netgear provides no documentation about how the Orbi app works and the error messges are not detailed. Could you please provide a bit more detail in these areas:

Which Orbi app is this? (Apple or Android?)

@FatButt wrote:

I can administrate parental controls and other settings when I am away from my network.

What other settings can be administered when away from the network?

@FatButt wrote:

I get pop-up windows that say "We can't find your Orbi". After I click on X at top left to dismiss this, I see a "Unable to Connect to Router RECONNECT" message at the bottom of the app. If I attempt to RECONNECT, I get the same popup that says "We can't find your Orbi".

This message appears:

• When connected to the local network?
  • When away from the local network?
  • Both?

@FatButt wrote:

I also am able to use the functions on my router and I ignore the Unable to Connect to Router RECONNECT" message at the bottom of the app. It is an annoyance at this point, and I'm hoping that new problems don't occur.

This refers to using the Orbi web interface (http://orbilogin.net ) or the Orbi 'app'?

Message 2 of 9
FatButt
Aspirant

Hello @CrimpOn ,

Thank you for your reply. I used italics to show some of your questions.

Which Orbi app is this? (Apple or Android?)

I use both the Android and Apple Orbi apps. Android for phone and Apple for my iPad.

What other settings can be administered when away from the network?

When I am connected via AnyWhere Access, I can use the following even though I have the "Unable to Connect to Router RECONNECT" message at the bottom of the app.

- Device Manager - I can see my devices and Groups (I have a Parental Controls subscription). I can see when devices go online an offline.

- WiFi Settings - I can access these settings.

- Parental Control can be used to Pause/Resume Internet access

- Network Map - I can access and see my Network Map

- Guest WiFi - I can access these settings.

- Support - I can see my Products

I cannot use the following

- Internet Speed (connection failed)

- WiFi Analytics (signal strength 0%)

- Traffic Meter - Data transferred is shown but pressing the Gear Icon give me a "Not available using Anywhere Access" message.

Unable to Connect to Router RECONNECT error is always shown in the ORBI app (Apple and Android version) when away from the local network.

When I am connected locally is shows Connected and all the functions are available to me.

Message 3 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

(sorry for the delay. I was 'away'...)

This is a time when the programmer in me wants to shout out, "print out the damn details!!!"  In Anywhere Access mode, the app is trying to send SOAP requests through the Netgear Cloud to some  device.  Exactly which device???  Show us the serial number, the name, or something???

Either the router has stopped opening a connection to the Netgear Cloud or there is something wrong with the cloud connection.  Maybe the Netgear user name no longer points to the correct router?

Geez.  There is no information to act on.

I suppose you have 'shaken' the hell out of the smartphone and reported an error?

Message 4 of 9
RonaldoLopes
Aspirant

I have the same problem !
It's been a while since I've been able to access my orbi away from home using the Orbi app on my iphone.
I already updated with the latest version of the firmware and I already restarted it several times but without success. I even reinstalled the app but it didn't fix it.
On the iPhone, the popup message "We Can't find your orbi. reconnect" always appears, then I click on Reconnetc and it returns to the same popup.
I do not know what else to do.

Message 5 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 6 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

Yes, Orbi Android App 2.26.0.2884.

• Connects perfectly when connected locally to the Orbi WiFi.
    Observed that it connects "Locally" and the Anywhere Access option is not visible.
    In the past, the Android app would often connect with Anywhere Access, even though connected to the Orbi WiFi and would show "Connect Locally" as a coice.
  • Fails to connect when connected to a different WiFi network, in this case a Hot Spot from a cell phone.
    i.e. app on tablet connected to Hot Spot. Phone on LTE data.
  • App on cell phone itself fails to connect when phone is on LTE data.

Submitted "Bug Report". (Even took video of error message popping up.)

Netgear Status page shows Orbi as "operational". https://status.netgear.com/ 

Message 7 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

The Android error message looks like this:

CrimpOn_0-1684346160922.png

Just idle curiosity.... Anyone have any idea what happens when customers file Bug Reports?  Are they like the Idea Exchange?  Maybe piling up in an InBox that no one is assigned to monitor?

Message 8 of 9

You should know by now that the Apps are a wild goose chase. Pretty well every release screws up one variant.

Mend iOS and you break Android. Repair Android and iOS falls over.

No surprise given the "stuff the consumer" enmity between Google and Apple.

This is such a long running saga that you wonder if there is any quality control on the app front.

It is a pity that there isn't the same opportunity as there is with firmware to wait for other people to take the plunge. Android at least just shoves the new versions down out throats

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7