Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

SRR60: No LED lights; router does not repond when connected to a computer

PHGraphics
Tutor

SRR60: No LED lights; router does not repond when connected to a computer

I took my system out of service a few months ago while I tried out a competing product that a tech friend of mine said was much better.  It wasn't.

When I tried to re-install the Orbi router, I was surprised to see that the top ring LEDs did not light up at all.  The green power light is on, and neither a very quick nor very long (more than a minute) press of the reset button with a striaghtened paperclip turns it amber.  I connected the router to my laptop via an ethernet cable and tried using a browser to communicate, but I was unable to access the router at 192.168.1.1. I then opened a DOS prompt and tried to ping the above address.  It tried 4 times, each time with the same response:  "Destination host unreachable."  The summary also said "Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),"

What steps/tests should (can?) I take to try to recover the router before I officially declare it dead and replace it?  (It's well out of warranty.)

I don't want it in a landfill if it can be salvaged, but I can't spend the next week of my life on rescuing it, either.

Model: SRK60B03|Orbi Pro Tri-Band Business WiFi System
Message 1 of 6
quagmire1
Luminary

Re: SRR60: No LED lights; router does not repond when connected to a computer

The firmware might have gotten corrupted. You might try force uploading the firmware with TFTP:

https://kb.netgear.com/000059633/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-TFTP-client

Message 2 of 6
plemans
Guru

Did the power supplies get switched? 

Message 3 of 6
PHGraphics
Tutor

I downloaded, installed and ran the TFTP software and followed all the steps up until #10: "10.  Wait for the Power LED to light orange and start flashing."  But the Power LED on my router has never been anything but green.  It's green as soon as I plug in the router (or turn it on with the power button, and I've done everything from a quick press of the reset button (with a straightened paper clip) to holding in the reset button for 90 seconds.  The power LED has never been any color other than solid green.  I tried hitting the PUT button with the power LED green, but as far as I can tell, no data was transferred, and I waited 30 minutes the second time.

One other question:  the directions say to connect the router directly to my computer using an ethernet cable, but it does not say whether the cable goes into the "network" port on the router or into one of the LAN ports.  For what it's worth, I tried both ways and, as I said, never saw any indication that data was transferred.

Message 4 of 6
PHGraphics
Tutor

--  Did the power supplies get switched? --

That's possible.  I run a business out of my home and needed a router ASAP, so I bought a new SRK60 system from a local dealer who had one in stock.  The original satellite (that came with the problem router) is now active on the new mesh system, so I swapped out power supplies.  The old satellite powered on and re-connected with the new router just fine, and the old router showed no difference in performance.  That is, the power LED turns solid green as soon as the router gets power, but the top ring LED never lights at all.  And, as stated above, nothing I've ever done to the router has made the power LED turn amber -- either flashing or solid.

Since swapping the power supplies produced no difference I can discern in the  behavior of either device, I've left them switched with the new pairing.  The only difference I see between power supplies is the last 3 characters of the bottom bar code.  It's "F1H" on one of the power supplies and "CCA" on the other.  But I don't see that string of characters in either the MAC address or serial number of the router or satellite, so there is nothing obvious to me about which power supply should go with which device.

Message 5 of 6
plemans
Guru

You use the lan port on the router. 

Don't suppose you've tried nmrpflash? I've seen it work when tftp didn't. 

https://github.com/jclehner/nmrpflash

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements