Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

New - RBR850 / RBS850 Firmware Version 7.2.6.21 Released

cdysthe
Virtuoso

Re: New - RBR850 / RBS850 Firmware Version 7.2.6.21 Released

@FURRYe38  Thanks. I had done all that. I also factory reset both the router and the satellite. Still Wi-Fi on two Android phones was terrible. DNS lookups took "forever" and connections were extremely slow or even timed out. I then went over all wi-fi settings since I was convinces the problem lay there. And it did. Turns out that the CTS/RTS was set to 64 by default in the advanced wireless settings. In the past it has always been set to 2346 or 7. I set, applied and rebooted. Now wi-fi works like it used to on all phones. Interesting that this only affected some phones and not others, not my laptop and not ethernet connected devices of course. I read up on this and  seems like Netgear now set it at 64 "to avoid problems". More on this here:

https://is.gd/wCNWdm 

I'm no expert, but it solved my problem with the new firmware, and again, I am pretty sure it was set to 2346 or 7 in previous Orbi firmwares. 

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Has a power off for 1 minute then back ON with the ISP modem and router been performed since last update?
Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:
Turn off and unplug modem.
Turn off router and computers.
Plug in and turn on modem. Wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on the router and wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on computers and rest of network.

Be sure to disable any MAC Address randomizers on phones and pads while at home:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-App/NETGEAR-Mobile-Applications-and-Apple-Devices-FAQ/td-p/222...

Please read about doing a FR from the initial post in this thread.

@cdysthe wrote:

Hi,

The update went without problems and everything seems to work. I'm having a curious problem after update. Our Android phones has serious performance issues. DNS requests takes much longer and sometimes times out and web page loading is very slow/ Not so on my laptop or desktop computer on an ethernet connection. I did not factory reset after update. Could a factory reset solve the Android phone wi-fi connection issues? I have tried with several Android phones, they all have these issues.

Message 26 of 144
FURRYe38
Guru

I recommend using default CTS values of 64 unless of course odd issues with wifi devices are seen then could be adjusted. Was told that if you have more than 3 RBS, then could change to higher value. Thats been default since Orbi AX first appeared back in 2019. Ya we know there are some differences between Orbi AX and AC systems. AX systems seems different. 

Iv'e been running default CTS values since the beginning. Haven't had much of any issues since 2020. NEST Controllers were being problematic back then. Haven't seen any issues since. 

Glad you got it working. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
Enjoy. 📡

@cdysthe wrote:

@FURRYe38  Thanks. I had done all that. I also factory reset both the router and the satellite. Still Wi-Fi on two Android phones was terrible. DNS lookups took "forever" and connections were extremely slow or even timed out. I then went over all wi-fi settings since I was convinces the problem lay there. And it did. Turns out that the CTS/RTS was set to 64 by default in the advanced wireless settings. In the past it has always been set to 2346 or 7. I set, applied and rebooted. Now wi-fi works like it used to on all phones. Interesting that this only affected some phones and not others, not my laptop and not ethernet connected devices of course. I read up on this and  seems like Netgear now set it at 64 "to avoid problems". More on this here:

https://is.gd/wCNWdm 

I'm no expert, but it solved my problem with the new firmware, and again, I am pretty sure it was set to 2346 or 7 in previous Orbi firmwares. 

Message 27 of 144
christoph22
Aspirant

Stupid Question, but the patches are cumulative right? i am currently still on V4.6.14.3 for my RBK850.  I would assume they are cumulative but just want to be sure before i upgrade to this version.

Hopefully this will fix the weird issue i have where my Air Conditioner control panel doesnt stay joined to the wifi (cant hardwire sadly), the connection remains on the control panel and in the Orbi Devices but they will not connect, even after rebooting etc.  Only way to fix is to delete the device and delete the wifi config, reboot both the network and aircon panel and rejoin to the network again.  After a random amount of time between 1-2 days up to 1-2 weeks it will drop off (sometimes even 2-3 hours later) and i have to redo the process again.

Thought it was the panel, so i connected a USB modem with a SIM Card in it, into a USB Charger and broadcast a wifi network with it and the Air Conditioner Panel has not dropped network once.  So this is 100% an issue with the Panel and Orbi.  No other devices on the network do this (new and old) only this device.

Fingers crossed this solves it.

EDIT: Just realised that this is the next version up and not a beta version.....the big jump in version numbers made me think this was a beta version and not officially released 😂

Message 28 of 144
CrimpOn
Guru

Can you please give more detail about "drop off"?  i.e.

• The smartphone app which manages the air conditioner no longer functions, or
  • The air conditioner control panel no longer appears on the list of Connected Devices?

Message 29 of 144
Validus
Luminary

@christoph22 What Air Conditioner uses Wifi? Almost all Air Conditioners I know of block Wifi signals.

Do you know if it's trying to use 5GHz, rather than 2.4GHz, over a long distance? Compared to the other working router which might be defaulting to the 2.4GHz wifi signal instead. Also, check if it's using different protocols to connect (WPA3, WPA2, etc).

Another reason might be a conflicting IP address problem, if two different Wifi devices on your list are trying to connect using the same IP Address. That could explain why you have to delete it and reboot. Is it using a static IP Address or attempting to force one via the Netgear Orbi App? I would check under the app for the Wifi device list of connected and previously remembered ones, perhaps removing unknown previously remembered and clean that up.

Then give your Air Conditioner it's own IP Address and place it under the LOT network set to use the 2.4GHz wifi signal.

I've personally setup the main Wifi to use WPA3 Personal [SAE] and have my IoT network on WPA2-PSK [AES] for older devices that can't support WPA3. A bit of resetup for some devices, such as smart lights and a Ring doorbell, etc. Yet it works great and such a better network design now. Loving this firmware update.

Message 30 of 144
Lewes1973
Aspirant

Is there a view in the Orbi web interface/mobile client to see, to which SSID the clients are connected to? Especially introducing the IoT SSID, would be nice to see...

Message 31 of 144
spoonelli
Aspirant

for some reason post firmware update access to the admin console is glacially slow.  Doesn't matter how close/far i am in the chain to the RBR.  already did one complete factory reset plus a new flash of the firmware.  any ideas?

Message 32 of 144
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes, Connected Devices or Device Manager.

@Lewes1973 wrote:

Is there a view in the Orbi web interface/mobile client to see, to which SSID the clients are connected to? Especially introducing the IoT SSID, would be nice to see...

Message 33 of 144
spoonelli
Aspirant

update: cts/rts to 2347 seems to have improved things immensely. 

Message 34 of 144
FURRYe38
Guru

What browser are you using? Try other browsers to see if problem follows. 

Be sure to clear out all browser caches before entering the routers web page? 

Try 192.168.1.1? 

Do other PCs or laptops exhibit this same issue? 

Is Armor or SPC enabled on the RBR? 

@spoonelli wrote:

for some reason post firmware update access to the admin console is glacially slow.  Doesn't matter how close/far i am in the chain to the RBR.  already did one complete factory reset plus a new flash of the firmware.  any ideas?

Message 35 of 144
spoonelli
Aspirant

RBR is in AP mode - wired backhaul - two ethernet connections from fios router to lan ports (not WAN) - same setup that has worked flawlessly for a while.  no armor or SPC.

tried across different browsers and machines.  

CTS/RTS seems to have done the trick

@FURRYe38 wrote:

What browser are you using? Try other browsers to see if problem follows. 

Be sure to clear out all browser caches before entering the routers web page? 

Try 192.168.1.1?  

Do other PCs or laptops exhibit this same issue? 

Is Armor or SPC enabled on the RBR? 

@spoonelli wrote:

Message 36 of 144
FURRYe38
Guru

What do you mean by glacial? How much time is that? 

"RBR is in AP mode - wired backhaul - two ethernet connections from fios router to lan ports (not WAN)" 

So is LAG enabled on the RBR? 

FYI, when in AP mode or router mode for that as well, the WAN port is required for normal and good working operation. Also the front LED indication reports from the WAN port as well. If your not using the WAN port then this is not a supported connection when in AP or router mode. 

I ran mine in AP mode using WAN port and have always used default CTS 64 and have never seen any slow down on accessing the WEB UI. 

Message 37 of 144
spoonelli
Aspirant

45seconds to a minute--plus per page change.. sub-menus will hang.  for example, will hang on the attached device list, sometimes get a "no data returned' message after a minute or so.  this was not an issue pre firmware change.

if i use the wan port while still connecting back into lan for wired backhaul, my satellites disappear (or at least historically they would).

i'll try to adjust things a bit further and see what happens. thx.

@FURRYe38 wrote:

What do you mean by glacial? How much time is that? 

"RBR is in AP mode - wired backhaul - two ethernet connections from fios router to lan ports (not WAN)" 

So is LAG enabled on the RBR? 

FYI, when in AP mode or router mode for that as well, the WAN port is required for normal and good working operation. Also the front LED indication reports from the WAN port as well. If your not using the WAN port then this is not a supported connection when in AP or router mode. 

I ran mine in AP mode using WAN port and have always used default CTS 64 and have never seen any slow down on accessing the WEB UI. 

Message 38 of 144
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok so then your avoiding finding the problem of the RBS not connecting. I also have my RBS ethernet connected to the RBR, LAN switches in the mix and both RBS work for me here with my RBR using the WAN port. You should troubleshoot why your RBS are not connecting. If this has been on going then it should be vetted. RBS are designed to be wirelessly or ethernet connected to the RBR while the RBR uses the WAN port. Your current incorrect connection method maybe causing problems in the UI and the root cause of the RBS not working while the RBR is using the WAN port needs to be fixed properly. 

Message 39 of 144
DarkNet
Apprentice

Re: New - RBR850 / RBS850 Firmware Version 7.2.6.21 Released: new IoT SSID

I think adding the IoT network is a good idea and I especially like the ability to turn off 5GHz when needed.  My update to 7.2.6.21 went well and I did the trick of turning off the RBR and RBS's (2 of them) for a few minutes after the update.  What bothers me is that when logged in to the RBR I don't see mention of the IoT SSID on the dashboard.  I have it enabled.  I can see on my mobile devices that it is being broadcast and I can connect to it, but it isn't included on the dashboard along with the main SSID and the Guest SSID.  I also wish there were a few notes about the new SSID functionality.  From experimenting I see the IoT SSID gives out IP's on the same VLAN as the main SSID and they don't seem to be isolated. I currently have my IoT devices on the Guest SSID and they are isolated from each other and the rest of my network (internet only).  I'm not sure the advantage of moving them to this new IoT.  Am I missing something?

Message 40 of 144
spoonelli
Aspirant

Well, here’s the update. I did a factory reset of the router, then reconfigured from scratch as a standalone network Using the WAN port. Then connected to the satellites via a wireless backhaul. Then Made my configuration changes to the channels and SSID I wanted. Left cts rts at 64. Then turned on AP mode. Once I confirmed all that was working, then plugged in the second ethernet cable to a lan port, and connected the satellites. It took about 15 minutes of intermittent service, but finally everything settled out and now I have everything up and running with no issues. Thanks!
Message 41 of 144
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: New - RBR850 / RBS850 Firmware Version 7.2.6.21 Released: new IoT SSID

IoT Network isn't on the Dashboard. Maybe something NG can add later I guess. Something to post here about:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Idea-Exchange-For-Home/idb-p/idea-exchange-for-home

The IoT network is NOT separate from the main network from information from NG. It is needed to be on main subnet as LAN so that devices can communicate between each other. 

@DarkNet wrote:

I think adding the IoT network is a good idea and I especially like the ability to turn off 5GHz when needed.  My update to 7.2.6.21 went well and I did the trick of turning off the RBR and RBS's (2 of them) for a few minutes after the update.  What bothers me is that when logged in to the RBR I don't see mention of the IoT SSID on the dashboard.  I have it enabled.  I can see on my mobile devices that it is being broadcast and I can connect to it, but it isn't included on the dashboard along with the main SSID and the Guest SSID.  I also wish there were a few notes about the new SSID functionality.  From experimenting I see the IoT SSID gives out IP's on the same VLAN as the main SSID and they don't seem to be isolated. I currently have my IoT devices on the Guest SSID and they are isolated from each other and the rest of my network (internet only).  I'm not sure the advantage of moving them to this new IoT.  Am I missing something?

Message 42 of 144
FURRYe38
Guru

Is the RBR still using the WAN port in AP mode? It should be. 

@spoonelli wrote:
Well, here’s the update. I did a factory reset of the router, then reconfigured from scratch as a standalone network Using the WAN port. Then connected to the satellites via a wireless backhaul. Then Made my configuration changes to the channels and SSID I wanted. Left cts rts at 64. Then turned on AP mode. Once I confirmed all that was working, then plugged in the second ethernet cable to a lan port, and connected the satellites. It took about 15 minutes of intermittent service, but finally everything settled out and now I have everything up and running with no issues. Thanks!

Message 43 of 144
spoonelli
Aspirant

Yep! Still in wan now.
Message 44 of 144
FURRYe38
Guru

So LAN port connection shouldn't be needed then. Just the WAN port. 

Message 45 of 144
cdawson
Guide

Quick update… firmware has been rock solid since I installed it on 09/09; no more daily reboots, connectivity with the two RBS satellites has been really good.  

Message 46 of 144
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it working. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
Enjoy. 📡

@cdawson wrote:

Quick update… firmware has been rock solid since I installed it on 09/09; no more daily reboots, connectivity with the two RBS satellites has been really good.  

Message 47 of 144
Garwoofoo
Apprentice

I've caught both my wireless satellites randomly losing connection a couple of times since I updated the firmware - flashing white for a minute or so before re-establishing connection. Yesterday they both did this at the same time, which seemed odd. It was about an hour after a short power outage here though so I'm wondering if it was some kind of "recently rebooted" oddity with the system.

I've also noticed in the Advanced Statistics page that various bits of the Orbi system (WAN port and LAN ports) seem to restart themselves from time to time, i.e. the "Up Time" resets to zero. This doesn't seem to cause any interruption to service and appears completely random. This is running in AP mode.

I've seen both of these behaviours with previous firmwares too, in general I'd say that I haven't seen much different at all with the new version and things are neither better nor worse with the Orbi overall.

Message 48 of 144
FURRYe38
Guru

Has a power off for 1 minute then back ON with the ISP modem and router been performed since last update?
Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:
Turn off and unplug modem.
Turn off router and computers.
Plug in and turn on modem. Wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on the router and wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on computers and rest of network.

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? A complete pull of the power adapters for a period of time after the factory reset then walk thru the setup wizard and setup from scratch with a wired PC and web browser. https://kb.netgear.com/22697/How-do-I-install-my-NETGEAR-router-using-the-router-web-interface
Recommend setting the default DHCP IP address pool range to the following after applying and a factory reset: 192.168.#.100 to 192.168.#.200.
https://kb.netgear.com/24089/How-do-I-specify-the-pool-of-IP-addresses-assigned-by-my-Nighthawk-rout...
https://kb.netgear.com/25722/How-do-I-reserve-an-IP-address-on-my-NETGEAR-router
I would power OFF the ISP modem for 1 minute. Factory reset the Orbi router and power it off. Power ON the ISP modem and let it sync. Then power ON the Orbi router and walk thru the setup wizard again using a wired PC and a web browser.
Press the back reset button for 15 seconds then release. 
https://kb.netgear.com/31486/How-do-I-reset-my-Orbi-system-to-factory-default-settings
https://kb.netgear.com/000062081/How-do-I-erase-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
https://kb.netgear.com/9665/How-do-I-perform-a-factory-reset-on-my-NETGEAR-router

Message 49 of 144
kotfu
Guide

I'm also having trouble with access point mode on my RBR850 after doing the V7.2.6.21_5.0.20 firmware upgrade. Lots of dropped packets, on both the wired and wireless networks. After the firmware upgrade on my satellites, and then the firmware upgrade on my RBR850, I did a factory reset on the RBR850, and set it up from scratch. As soon as I switch it into access point mode, the web UI becomes very unresponsive, and if I ping the LAN ip address of the RBR850 from a hardwired connection, it drops 9/10 packets. This is all with no satellites connected, just a single RBR850.

I'm suprised by @FURRYe38's comment that in AP mode the lan cable for the RBR850 should be in the yellow "Internet 2.5G/1G" ethernet port. I've always had the LAN cable in one of the 4 grey ethernet ports for AP mode.

Can you share more information about why I should be using AP mode with the cable in the yellow WAN port?

Message 50 of 144
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7