Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ORBI 750 ROUTER ,

Genesis440
Aspirant

ORBI 750 ROUTER ,

I have only had this ORBI 750 ROUTER AND TWO SATELLITES A COUPLE WEEKS, I HAVE A NETRESET INSTALLED THIS RESETS YOUR MODEM AND ROUTER AT YOUR DETERMINED TIME OF DAY. I'VE NOTICED THAT AS THE NETRESET ACTIVATES MY MODEM RESTARTS FINE AND THEN IT RESTARTS THE ROUTER, AFTER BOTH ARE REBOOTED UP ALL MY DEVICES THAT ARE HARD WIRED TO THE ROUTER CONNECT FINE, BUT THE WIFI DEVICES KEEP GIVING A NOTICE OBTAINING IP, THEN AFTER A FEW TRIES THEY SAY IP FAILURE. I HAVE HAD NETGEAR TECH SUPPORT TRY TO CORRECT THIS PROBLEM WITH NO AVAIL... IF I CAN'T GET THIS FIXED I MIGHT HAVE TO RETURN THE SYSTEM FOR A REFUND, $ 599.00 DOLLARS IS A LOT OF MONEY FOR A SYSTEM
THAT DOESN'T PERFORM AS DESIGNED.
ANY IDEAS?
THANKS, STEVE
Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: ORBI 750 ROUTER ,

@Genesis440 wrote:
 i have a netreset installed this resets your modem and router at your determined time of day. i've noticed that as the netreset activates my modem restarts fine and then it restarts the router

Could you please provide more information about this netreset?  I ask because people have asked on the forum, "How can I reset (or pause) my Orbi system at night?"

I agree entirely with @Phyber that it is unusual to reset home WiFi systems these days.  Mine remains up for months at a time until SoCal Edison entertains us with a power outage.  This post appears to indicate that rather than somehow making the network "better", the netreset makes it worse.  I would quit doing it.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 11

All Replies
Phyber
Luminary

So why are you resetting your router every day? I only reboot my 753 system about once a month, when I remember, or if there seems to be an issue.

Message 2 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok no need to yell please.

Let's see if we can help you figure this out. 

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6 is recommended. 

How many RBS are deployed? 
What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS🛰️ to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite ‌‌🛰

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Smart Parental Controls or Circle, Traffic Meter.

Has a power off for 1 minute then back ON with the ISP modem and router been performed since last update?
Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:
Turn off and unplug modem.
Turn off router and computers.
Plug in and turn on modem. Wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on the router and wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on computers and rest of network.

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? A complete pull of the power adapters for a period of time after the factory reset then walk thru the setup wizard and setup from scratch with a wired PC and web browser. Recommend setting the default DHCP IP address pool range to the following after applying and a factory reset: 192.168.#.100 to 192.168.#.200.
https://kb.netgear.com/24089/How-do-I-specify-the-pool-of-IP-addresses-assigned-by-my-Nighthawk-rout...
I would power OFF the ISP modem for 1 minute. Factory reset the Orbi router and power it off. Power ON the ISP modem and let it sync. Then power ON the Orbi router and walk thru the setup wizard again using a wired PC and a web browser.
Press the back reset button for 15 seconds then release. 
https://kb.netgear.com/31486/How-do-I-reset-my-Orbi-system-to-factory-default-settings
https://kb.netgear.com/000062081/How-do-I-erase-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
https://kb.netgear.com/9665/How-do-I-perform-a-factory-reset-on-my-NETGEAR-router

Message 3 of 11
Genesis440
Aspirant

HI There,
Resetting is supposed to keep your internet connection optimal, it wouldn't matter if you do it daily or once a month, the fact is it isn't allowing my wifi devices to reconnect, my old Linksys EA 9500 router had no problem resetting daily so why does the Orbi?
Message 4 of 11
CrimpOn
Guru

@Genesis440 wrote:
 i have a netreset installed this resets your modem and router at your determined time of day. i've noticed that as the netreset activates my modem restarts fine and then it restarts the router

Could you please provide more information about this netreset?  I ask because people have asked on the forum, "How can I reset (or pause) my Orbi system at night?"

I agree entirely with @Phyber that it is unusual to reset home WiFi systems these days.  Mine remains up for months at a time until SoCal Edison entertains us with a power outage.  This post appears to indicate that rather than somehow making the network "better", the netreset makes it worse.  I would quit doing it.

Message 5 of 11
CrimpOn
Guru

@Genesis440 wrote:
 the fact is it isn't allowing my wifi devices to reconnect,

All WiFi devices (every WiFi device) or some WiFi devices?

If only certain devices, how do you get them back on line?

Message 6 of 11
Genesis440
Aspirant

Re: New - RBK653 Firmware Version 4.6.14.3 Released

HI There, the Netgear techs did everything everyone has posted via tech connected to my PC, they updated all the firmware and even changed channels from auto to a set channel, then even did a router reset and so far everything the techs have tried has not corrected this issue. I'm not. Network savvy, you guys know your stuff in this area I'm lost.
I'm going to keep having Netgear techs try to figure this issue out. Thank ALL of you !!
Message 7 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Ive not had to reboot my Orbi systems on a daily basis unless I'm going something for testing or helping out others personally. I agree you shouldn't have to reboot the system at all and the system should work well.

Please give feedback to the questions presented so we can being to help you figure out whats going on. 

@Genesis440 wrote:
HI There,
Resetting is supposed to keep your internet connection optimal, it wouldn't matter if you do it daily or once a month, the fact is it isn't allowing my wifi devices to reconnect, my old Linksys EA 9500 router had no problem resetting daily so why does the Orbi?

Message 8 of 11
Genesis440
Aspirant

Hi There, here is a link on Amazon where you can read about this reset system. I appreciate your input to, thank you, I might end up doing exactly what you are doing... just leave it alone and don't use the netreset device any longer.

Here is the Amazon Link : https://www.amazon.com/NetReset-Digital-Automating-Reboot-Net-Providing-Internet/dp/B01FY1PFLS/ref=s...

Thank You Everyone !!

Steve

Message 9 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

This would not be or should not be needed. If your having to reboot the system every so often then your not finding out what the real problem is as again, the system should not need to be rebooted or power cycled on a daily basis. 

Maybe give feedback to the questions presented so we can try and help you out. If not, then make contact with NG support. 

Were here to help you out is all. What the forums are for. Free support. 

Message 10 of 11
CrimpOn
Guru

@CrimpOn wrote:

All WiFi devices (every WiFi device) or some WiFi devices?

If only certain devices, how do you get them back on line?

Thanks for the link to that interesting device.  "Back in the days..." it was common to restart electronics frequently.  My security cameras have an option to reboot once a week (in 2023!)  Not so much anymore.

The reason for the question about "which devices" is because of a fundamental difference between traditional and "mesh" routers.  With a traditional router, when it boots up there is only one WiFi access point.  Devices "see" that and connect.  With "mesh" systems, not all of the access points begin broadcasting WiFi at exactly the same instant.  While most modern WiFi devices are designed with this in mind, some devices cannot seem to handle it.

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7