Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi System - Internet slow on iPhones

davebargh
Aspirant

Orbi System - Internet slow on iPhones

I have an RBR750 (in AP mode) with 3 RBS750 Satellites. This is connected to a Sky Broadband modem with an FTTP connection. The Orbi system itself works fine and all devices are on the latest firmware (7.2.6.21). However there is one big issue - which we seem to have had for at least a year (having had the system for about four years).

When we are using iPhones in the house connected to the Wifi they are incredibly slow on some apps - particularly Safari. It takes a long time for the web pages to load which is frustrating so we don't get similar issues on a Windows laptop. This isn't just on one iphone as we have multiple - iphone 13, 13 pro and 15 and all have the same problem.

Doing a speed check on the phones when connected to the wifi still shows a fast connection (+ 500mbs) so that isn't the issue.

Does anyone else have the same issue - and if so have they found how to resolve it?

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
KevinLiT
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: Orbi System - Internet slow on iPhones

Hello @davebargh ,

Welcome to the NETGEAR Community!

I understand that you are having network issues with your iOS devices on your Orbi network. This issue may be caused by security features that are built into your iOS device. Users who have experienced this issue noticed an increase in network speeds by turning off their private IP address on their iOS devices. Please turn off your private IP address on your iOS devices to resolve this issue.

To turn off the Private IP address please follow the directions listed below on your iOS device:

1. Open "Settings"
  2. "Wi-Fi"
  3. Select the "i" icon next to your connected network
  4. Toggle off "Private Wi-Fi Address"

Best,
Kevin
Community Team

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 5

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

There is a possibility that the issue is with the iPhones, not the WiFi system.  It might be helpful to explore searching the internet for "iPhone Safari slow" and checking out iPhone web sites.

A number of people who post on the Netgear community forum use Apple products, so maybe they will have information to share.  Just at first glance, this appears to an Apple issue rather than an Orbi issue.

Message 2 of 5
KevinLiT
NETGEAR Moderator

Hello @davebargh ,

Welcome to the NETGEAR Community!

I understand that you are having network issues with your iOS devices on your Orbi network. This issue may be caused by security features that are built into your iOS device. Users who have experienced this issue noticed an increase in network speeds by turning off their private IP address on their iOS devices. Please turn off your private IP address on your iOS devices to resolve this issue.

To turn off the Private IP address please follow the directions listed below on your iOS device:

1. Open "Settings"
  2. "Wi-Fi"
  3. Select the "i" icon next to your connected network
  4. Toggle off "Private Wi-Fi Address"

Best,
Kevin
Community Team

Message 3 of 5
davebargh
Aspirant

Perfect - this seems to have solved the issue

Message 4 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it working. Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
Enjoy. 📡

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7