Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi Wifi 6 Mesh vs Nighthawk Wifi6 Mesh

gregldn
Aspirant

Orbi Wifi 6 Mesh vs Nighthawk Wifi6 Mesh

I set up an Orbi mesh network at my parents house about a year ago and it's working out very well.

I've about to move into a small flat/apartment. The Nighthawk Wifi 6 Mesh system is a lot cheaper than the Orbi Wifi 6 Mesh System. 

This is understandable because of the square metre/square feet range differences. However in a small apartment this is not an issue for me.

They are both Netgear products and assume they work in a very similar way. 

The only other difference I can see is the number of devices that can be connected at once - is that a real cut off or just a suggestion? 

Other than the usual household IT products planning to have a handful of smart bulbs, thermostats, doorbell etc. But it is a really small apartment and the range of the Orbi would be completely excessive. Would I be ok with Nighthawk? 

Thanks. 

Message 1 of 5
Mstrbig
Master

Re: Orbi Wifi 6 Mesh vs Nighthawk Wifi6 Mesh

@gregldn wrote:

I set up an Orbi mesh network at my parents house about a year ago and it's working out very well.

I've about to move into a small flat/apartment. The Nighthawk Wifi 6 Mesh system is a lot cheaper than the Orbi Wifi 6 Mesh System. 

This is understandable because of the square metre/square feet range differences. However in a small apartment this is not an issue for me.

They are both Netgear products and assume they work in a very similar way. 

The only other difference I can see is the number of devices that can be connected at once - is that a real cut off or just a suggestion? 

Other than the usual household IT products planning to have a handful of smart bulbs, thermostats, doorbell etc. But it is a really small apartment and the range of the Orbi would be completely excessive. Would I be ok with Nighthawk? 

Thanks. 

I would not install a wireless mesh system in a really small apartment. A good powerful router will cover it well.

One thing you may want to think of would be future moves. You could purchase an Orbi router and use it to give you great internet. Then you can add satellites to it later if you move.

Your statement about Nighthawk WIFI 6 mesh being cheaper depends on what systems you are comparing. Netgear products are offered in basic to powerful mesh systems. The Netgear MK62 is an affordable system, but lack Orbi features and would still be overkill for your apartment. 

Also keep in mind when you purchase a mesh system, some systems support higher ISP speeds than others. So the product you purchase may depend on what ISP plan you have, (100, 300, 500 Mbps or 1Gbps).

Message 2 of 5
gregldn
Aspirant

Thanks, I didn't realise the Orbi router was available on it's own. Will check that out. 

I don't see the Orbi Wifi 6 product as as standalone router. Would prefer Wifi 6 to futureproof. Will another Netgear Wifi6 router work with Orbi satellites in future? 

Message 3 of 5
gregldn
Aspirant

I'll start out with my hacked d-link (for dd-wrt) router (see if I can restore factory settings) until I figure out which Netgear product I need to buy. 

Message 4 of 5
gregldn
Aspirant

There doesn't seem to be a standalone Orbi Router but if I go for a Nighthawk Wifi6 Router it looks like you can add extenders later. 

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7