Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Protectli vault and Orbi 850 compatibility

CrazyEddie
Apprentice

Protectli vault and Orbi 850 compatibility

I have an Orbi 850 base and two 850 satellites. I also have a Netgear cable modem (CM1150V). I am about to purchase a Protectli FW6Br2 vault firewall. Protectli said there will be no issues with the modem, but that there will be some admin and configuration things I need to work through. I'm a novice from an IT perspective, so any advice would be appreciated. Am I being too ambitious?

Message 1 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Protectli vault and Orbi 850 compatibility

@CrazyEddie wrote:

Am I being too ambitious?

Considering that the RBR850 includes a firewall, it would be helpful to know the reason for investing (time and money) to put the entire system behind a firewall, which has the effect of making a number of applications more difficult.

Message 2 of 5
CrazyEddie
Apprentice

I am trying to use the best firewall possible, and my understanding is that a hardware firewall would be better than the firewall in the Orbi router. I understand I will have to disable the Orbi firewall. 

Message 3 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

You can't disable Orbi Firewall. Only way would be to configure Orbi for AP mode. 

Message 4 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

Well....... "maybe". A dedicated firewall will definitely have options* that the Orbi firewall does not.  It certainly will be an adventure (learning Linux, whichever operating system you choose, how their DHCP server works, etc.)

The only way to disable the Orbi firewall is to place the router in Access Point mode, which also disables all sorts of features. (no Armor, no Parental Controls, no chance to define DNS servers, No DHCP reservations, no DDNS, no OpenVPN, no separation of primary vs. Guest WiFi devices.  There's quite a list.

https://kb.netgear.com/000061277/Disabled-Features-on-the-Orbi-when-set-to-AP-Mode 

*Orbi's firewall by default blocks every attempt to connect from the internet.  100%.  The only options are

• to forward specific ports to specific devices on the LAN. 
  • to block specific devices on the LAN from specific internet access.
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7