Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBRE960 outdoor satellite compatibilty

dtipton489
Aspirant

RBRE960 outdoor satellite compatibilty

I need to add an outdoor satellite module to my mesh system. I having a solar system and it needs to connect to my home wifi. My signal reaches out that far but the solar system will be mounted on the side of the building away from my router and satellite's. I want to put an outdoor satellite out next the solar equipment but I do not know which model I need. Any suggestions would be  greatly appreciated.

Dan Tipton

dtipton489@yahoo.com

Message 1 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBRE960 outdoor satellite compatibilty

The only model RBS that works would be the RBS50Y however I don't think those are being produced anymore. 

Others have installed a outdoor electronics enclosure case and installed a indoor RBS inside this case:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WIFI-6-AX-AND-Wi-Fi-6E-AXE/Outdoor-Satellite/m-p/2129551

Message 2 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

The solar system will almost certainly require only a 2.4G WiFi signal (not much data requirement). 2.4H WiFi is usable much farther away than 5G.

If the signal actually is too weak, I would place an ordinary "WiFi Extender" (of any brand) on the inside of the house close to the solar control panel, but not where a metal enclosure will obviously block the radio signal.

Something like a Netgear EX3700 or TP-Link RE220.  The solar panel is not a mobile device, so there is no need for "true satellite" capability (seamless roaming).

Message 3 of 8
dtipton489
Aspirant

The problem is also that the solar is a ground mount system and the all the equipment is to be mounted on the outside of the all metal shop around the corner so the signal is blocked. I need to put an outdoor satellite like you used to able to do with RBK50.

Thanks

Message 4 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Any chance this solar device has a ethernet port? 

Message 5 of 8
dtipton489
Aspirant

I don't know until they come out to install. It is an Enphase system.

Dan

Message 6 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

I'd ask them if its ethernet supporting, if it is, then to avoid having to install a wifi something out there, a ethernet cable, CAT6A STP to the remote building would be recommended. Then add on a non managed switch in the building and then connect this device to this switch for best connection. 

Message 7 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

One might imagine that the company installing this brand of solar panel system has encountered this problem before and might suggest "how we've done this in the past.  anyway........

It might be helpful to have a more detailed description of the situation, such as:

• Is this all metal shop attached to  the main building, or is it separate?
  • If separate, how far away? (as in, "how costly would it be to install an Ethernet cable?")
  • Given that the metal shop will completely block WiFi, where can a WiFi device be located that will have a good WiFi signal from the main building and also be visible to the solar panel control box? (toward the roof?  at a corner? on a separate structure?)
  • Does this proposed mounting location have electrical power?

I would take a serious look at an outdoor rated WiFi Extender, such as the TP-Link EAP110 (<$40US on Amazon)

https://www.tp-link.com/us/business-networking/ceiling-mount-access-point/eap110-outdoor/ 

Although it is intended for massive corporate deployments, it can also be used in stand-alone mode.  See the installation guide, Part 4:

https://static.tp-link.com/upload/manual/2023/202305/20230525/7106510194_EAP225-Outdoor&EAP113-Outdo... 

or the User Guide, page 5:

https://static.tp-link.com/upload/manual/2023/202308/20230821/1910013169-EAP110_UG.pdf 

It might not be all that difficult to:

• Attach a pole mount to the exterior of the metal shop, either sticking above the roof or at a corner.
  • Place the Power over Ethernet (PoE) inside the shop (safe from the weather)
  • Run an Ethernet cable (Cat5E or Cat6) through the wall to the extender.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7