Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBS350 keeps restarting

preinvent
Aspirant

RBS350 keeps restarting

I have a RBR750 with two RBS350 satellites. One of the satellites keeps restarting - it'll start flashing white, then a few minutes later go solid blue. Then a minute or two after that it'll start flashing white again, and it keeps repeating this cycle.

What I've tried:

1. Moving the satellite nearer to the router

2. Remove from router, factory reset, re-add

3. Uploading recent firmware from Netgear site (which is actually older than the automatically updated firmware)

None of these have made any difference. Based on what I've read in here, it seems this is likely a hardware failure. The Netgear support site keeps throwing an error whenever I try to create a support case, and I can't find any other method of contact.

Hoping somewhere here has an idea on how to address this. Thanks!

Message 1 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBS350 keeps restarting

What Firmware version is currently loaded on the RBR and RBS?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)?

Does swapping RBS around change the behavior>

Message 2 of 10
preinvent
Aspirant

RBR750 firmware - V7.2.6.21_5.0.20

RBS350 firmware - was V4.6.14.3, I later uploaded the version on Netgear's site which is V4.4.1.29

Home size - main house 1200sq ft with a 200 sq ft detached garage. Router is back of main house with a satellite in the garage (works perfectly) and one at the front of the house which is the one that's failing.

Distance is usually around 50 ft and it's been working perfectly for ~7 months until it started failing recently. As mentioned earlier I've tried moving to middle of the house (around 20 ft) and in the same room as the router, and the behavior is the same.

Not sure what you mean by "swapping RBS around"?

Message 3 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

OK you need to downgrade the RBR back to v4 FW.

Please review all the information here:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WIFI-6-AX-AND-Wi-Fi-6E-AXE/New-RBK653-Firmware-Version-4-6-14-...

Message 4 of 10
preinvent
Aspirant

Thanks for sharing. I'll try this. I actually upgraded to v7 when this started happening to see if that would fix it (v7 clearly states it improves stability!!) so I'm not too optimistic this will work, but I'll report back when done.

Message 5 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Since you have the RBR750 and RBS350, the RBR can't not be updated to the RBK version of FW. It's not compatible with the RBS350s. 

Message 6 of 10
preinvent
Aspirant

OK, I installed the same firmware across the router & both satellites. it still reboots in its current location, but if I move it nearer to the router it appears to be stable & not reboot. This doesn't really help my layout (and doesn't explain why it's been working fine in this location for months), but I guess I need to explore either wired backhaul or another satellite for daisy chaining.

Message 7 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Somehow the signal at that location may have gone bad or could be some interfences. If you moved the RBS closer to the RBR and its' stop cycling, means the RBS has found a stonger signal to the RBR. 

Ya if you can get get ethernet BH running, it's highly recommended. 

Message 8 of 10
preinvent
Aspirant

Actually I take that back.. it's still rebooting even placed nearer to the router, just not as often.

I'm thinking this is a hardware issue. I'm going to contact support and get a replacement.

Message 9 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know how it goes. 

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements