Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Security camera can't connect to Orbi AX6000

rj1031
Aspirant

Security camera can't connect to Orbi AX6000

I recently installed an Orbi AX6000 (RBR850). As soon as I installed it, my outdoor (alarm.com) security camera stopped working. I called the security company (Safehaven-ADT dealer) and requested for a technician to check out the issue. 

Long story short, the technician failed to connect the camera to the router (RBR850). He moved the camera closer by 6 feet and the camera worked. The old router supplied by Spectrum worked well with the camera but when I installed the Orbi, things went south.

Any suggestions on how to set-up the Orbi so it can communicate with the ouitdoor camera will be highly appreciated.

Firmware V3.2.15.25_1.3.15 

Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
rj1031
Aspirant

Re: Security camera can't connect to Orbi AX6000

End result...

I had to take the Orbi satellite closer to the camera (inside the garage) in able for it to connect. It's strange how Spectrum's router can easily connect from the same position where the main Orbi is located. I feel like I got robbed spending a lot of money and it didn't perform according to its spec/design.

Neverthess, I appreciate your help! 

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 10

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Is this a 2.4Ghz camera or dual band? 

"He moved the camera closer by 6 feet and the camera worked." So it works near the RBR and doesn't connect at a distance? 

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

try changing CTS values are changed to 2347 under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Message 2 of 10
rj1031
Aspirant

"What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected."

The distance is within 30 feet.

"Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

try changing CTS values are changed to 2347 under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings"

I will try these settings and let you know.

Thanks for your help!

Message 3 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Try moving the RBS out a bit farther as well. 30 feet or more is recommended. 

Message 4 of 10
rj1031
Aspirant

"Try moving the RBS out a bit farther as well. 30 feet or more is recommended. "

Done.

BTW, there's no option for 40 MHz. It's just either put a check in the box "Enable 20/40 MHz Coexistence".

Message 5 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Remove the check from the box and it sets 40Mhz only. 

Message 6 of 10
rj1031
Aspirant

Thanks! I'll do that and I will report shortly.

Message 7 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

You can play around with these settings as well. Try turning down the power output of the RBRs wifi radios from 100% to 50% and see if this changes anything. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Message 8 of 10
rj1031
Aspirant

End result...

I had to take the Orbi satellite closer to the camera (inside the garage) in able for it to connect. It's strange how Spectrum's router can easily connect from the same position where the main Orbi is located. I feel like I got robbed spending a lot of money and it didn't perform according to its spec/design.

Neverthess, I appreciate your help! 

Message 9 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Placement and distance is key to any wifi configuration. Different HW does different things and may not work the same as other HW devices. 

Glad you got it working. 

Enjoy. 

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7