Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Using An Orbi RBK 852 With Hikvision CCTV

mafia2303
Aspirant

Using An Orbi RBK 852 With Hikvision CCTV

I have eight CCTV cameras sited around my house, these are hard wired to an NVR located in my loft which is linked via HDMI to a monitor in my study and an eternet lead runs from the NVR to the study and is plugged into my RBK852 satellite. I use Hikvision cameras and NVR and I use  the HIK-connect app on an iphone and ipad.My wi-fi speed is around 550mbs via Virgin cable.

Using the monitor, in my study, I can view my cameras as normal live but if I use my ipad or iphone, although I can get pictures from all cameras, these are frozen at different times and not live.

I tried numerous fixes such as rebooting the network and the router and deleting and reloading the app with no positive result and in desperation I tried connecting to the wi-fi via a cheap TP Link and it works perfectly!!.

I would like to establish:

1.Why wont the Orbi work? - it cost £700 whereas the TP link plug in cost around £30

2.In the Orbi documentation it says that you should not use any other wi fi extender at the same time as the Orbi- so will doing this cause any issues (none fould yet but its early days)

Any help would be appreciated. thank you in advance.

Message 1 of 33
plemans
Guru

Re: Using An Orbi RBK 852 With Hikvision CCTV

what firmware is on the router?

And on the satellites? 

What modem/gateway is the router connected to? 

Reason I ask, is some routers play nicer with double nats than others. It could be a nat issue. 

Message 2 of 33
mafia2303
Aspirant

Thanks for your prompt response.

The firmware is  V4.6.3.16 on the router (the latest version) and I assume it is the same on the router (although I dont know how to confirm this)

The Orbi is connected to a Virgin Media box in modem mode.

I have no idea what nats are!

Message 3 of 33
plemans
Guru

there is a newer version you can try if you'd like. 

New - RBR850 / RBS850 Firmware Version v4.6.7.5 Re... - NETGEAR Communities

You can also try setting the virgin hub to router mode (disable its wifi) and setup the netgear's IP address into the virgins DMZ. 

Message 4 of 33
CrimpOn
Guru

@mafia2303 wrote:

I tried connecting to the wi-fi via a cheap TP Link and it works perfectly!!.

Can you please explain in more detail how the TP-Link WiFi extender is configured?

Message 5 of 33
mafia2303
Aspirant

All i can tell you is that there are two plugs that go into the wall and you connect one to the Orbi by ethernet and the other you connect to the NVR  also by ethernet ( having first paired them)

Message 6 of 33
mafia2303
Aspirant

yes I have already put my Virgin router in modem mode.

I will try the more recent software update- is it likely to help?

Message 7 of 33
plemans
Guru

@mafia2303 wrote:

yes I have already put my Virgin router in modem mode.---I meant leave the virgin in router mode. not modem mode. Not all ISP supplied device's modem only/passthrough mode work right. So sometimes its worth trying it in router mode with the Netgear in the virgin's DMZ. 

I will try the more recent software update- is it likely to help?-----Unsure but it doesn't hurt. From the sound of it, there was a lot of fixs in the update. 

Message 8 of 33
CrimpOn
Guru

@mafia2303 wrote:

All i can tell you is that there are two plugs that go into the wall and you connect one to the Orbi by ethernet and the other you connect to the NVR  also by ethernet ( having first paired them)

Maybe the model number of the TP-Link device?

Message 9 of 33
mafia2303
Aspirant

It is a TP Link AV600 TL- PA4010

Message 10 of 33
mafia2303
Aspirant

Thanks, I only have problems with Hikvision so I dont really want to mess with the Virgin router settings unless you think it will help.

Accorging to the Orbi, the firmware is already up to date so do you think I should still updaate it?

Message 11 of 33
CrimpOn
Guru

This TP-Link PowerLine unit is acting as an ethernet connection between the Orbi satellite and the NVR.

The ethernet cable that was being used previously is faulty.  PowerLine will provide only a fraction of the bandwidth of an actual ethernet cable.  (Apparently this is enough bandwidth for your needs.)

The problem (and solution) have nothing to do with the Orbi or the ISP (or WiFi).

Message 12 of 33
plemans
Guru

@CrimpOn wrote:

This TP-Link PowerLine unit is acting as an ethernet connection between the Orbi satellite and the NVR.

The ethernet cable that was being used previously is faulty.  PowerLine will provide only a fraction of the bandwidth of an actual ethernet cable.  (Apparently this is enough bandwidth for your needs.)

The problem (and solution) have nothing to do with the Orbi or the ISP (or WiFi).

The OP put the NVR was plugged into the satellite. OP doesn't state if the satellite is hardwired into the orbi router or running off the wireless backhaul. OP also doesn't state if the powerline is plugged into the orbi router or the satellite. Just that its plugged into the NVR and orbi. 

without those variables/test, its tough to say 100% its the ethernet cable being faulty or the backhaul being faulty/having issues. . 

So @mafia2303, What are you plugging the powerline devices into?
Have you tried simply wiring in the satellite using the powerline? Maybe its backhaul is sketchy and the poweline stablizes it. 

Or maybe the backhaul status is sketchy because of the firmware. 

Again, tough to know 100% without more testing of the backhaul and some clarity on connections the OP is using. 

Message 13 of 33
mafia2303
Aspirant

the power line devices are plugged into ordinary power points- one of which is connected to the NVR by ethernet (in an upstairs room) and the other of which is connected to the Orbi router by ethernet downstairs.The Orbi satellite was previously used before using the power line devices.

I have switched around the ethernet cables and I do not believe they are faulty

What does OP mean?

Message 14 of 33
Mikey94025
Hero

@mafia2303 wrote:

I have eight CCTV cameras sited around my house, these are hard wired to an NVR located in my loft which is linked via HDMI to a monitor in my study and an eternet lead runs from the NVR to the study and is plugged into my RBK852 satellite. I use Hikvision cameras and NVR and I use  the HIK-connect app on an iphone and ipad.My wi-fi speed is around 550mbs via Virgin cable.

The Orbi satellite was previously used before using the power line devices.

OP stands for "original post(er)", i.e., you.  It sounds like your Orbi setup was also connected via power line devices.  It would be helpful for us to confirm the network connectivity in detail between your router and the satellite(s).  You are saying your Orbi satellite was "hard wired" through power line devices to the router, right?  Also, are there also any network switches between the Orbi router and satellite (they can sometimes cause connectivity problems)? 

For simplicity, it may be best to start with removing the power line devices and first observing how the Orbi performs with the satellite just wirelessly connected to the router.  If that still exhibits the problem then we will take next steps.

Message 15 of 33
CrimpOn
Guru

OP is the "Original Poster", the person who began the discussion.

https://www.businessinsider.com/op-meaning 

Being horribly literal, I understood the situation to be:

Orbi router --> connected in some fashion to --> Orbi satellite --> connected with ethernet cable to --> NVR.

This did not work.

It was replaced by:

Orbi router --> connected the same as before to --> Orbi satellite and also

Orbi router or satellite (either one) --> connected over PowerLine to--> NVR. (I assumed the PowerLine ran between satellite and NVR, when it is now clear that it runs between router and NVR.)

The major difference being that the original ethernet cable connecting the satellite to the NVR is no longer in the picture.

Now that it is clear that the Orbi router to Satellite link has not changed, the question could be "was the Orbi satellite working correctly before?" i.e. was the NVR the only thing that was failing?  Do devices connect to the satellite and access the internet?

Message 16 of 33
mafia2303
Aspirant

To clarify and repeat my previous answers:

I bought an Orbi and satellite and connected my cctv NVR to the satellite via ethernet, this did not work and although i was getting images from the cameras, they were frozen.All other devices (approx 21) connect to one or other of the Orbi or satellite with no issues.

The Orbi and Satellite are connected wirelessly via a 'dedicated channel'

I tried connecting the NVR to the Orbi by using a TP link and this involved having two paired plugs that plug into the domestic mains with one plug being connected to the NVR by ethernet and the other being connected by ethernet to the Orbi- this works but:

1.Why wont it work using the Orbi- a top priced router when the cheaper solution works and

2.The manual for the Orbi says not to use any other network extender (which I have done although not aware of any issues) so is this ok to do?

I dont think there are any issues to do with the NVR (because it works ok when using TP Link), the ethernet leads or the Orbi router or satellite 

Message 17 of 33
CrimpOn
Guru

Where is the NVR located relative to the satellite? (same room?)

Message 18 of 33
mafia2303
Aspirant

NVR is in the loft but the ethernet lead comes through the ceiling into an upstairs bedroom which then connects to the Orbi satellite.

The main Orbi router is downstairs.

Message 19 of 33
CrimpOn
Guru

@mafia2303 wrote:

NVR is in the loft but the ethernet lead comes through the ceiling into an upstairs bedroom which then connects to the Orbi satellite.

The main Orbi router is downstairs.

Thanks.  My opinion is that the ethernet lead going through the ceiling is faulty (bad crimp? bent pin? cable kinked? - something)

Is it a single cable, or are there ethernet wall jacks involved?

Message 20 of 33
mafia2303
Aspirant

Thanks for your opinion but I'm not sure you are right- when using the TP Link, there are no issues and I am using the same ethernet lead so why wouldn't  i have the same issue using this i method?

It is a single cable with no jacks.

Message 21 of 33
CrimpOn
Guru

assumptions... assumptions.

So the TP-Link unit is not up in the attic with the NVR?

(but, is downstairs in the room with the Orbi satellite?)

I got nothin.

Message 22 of 33
mafia2303
Aspirant

The TP Link is not in the lioft- one plug is in the upstairs bedroom and one downstairs connected to the Orbi main router.

Do you know of any reason why using the TP Link should affect the Orbi?

Do you think the Orbi is faulty?

Message 23 of 33
Mikey94025
Hero

@mafia2303 wrote:

I bought an Orbi and satellite and connected my cctv NVR to the satellite via ethernet, this did not work and although i was getting images from the cameras, they were frozen.All other devices (approx 21) connect to one or other of the Orbi or satellite with no issues.

The Orbi and Satellite are connected wirelessly via a 'dedicated channel'

I agree, it should be necessary to use an extender because the Orbi mesh provides such functionality.  It seems that devices connected to your satellite might not have a quality and continuous connection back to the router.  Some suggested questions to diagnose:

1. Make sure you are you running 4.6.3.16 on your satellite too.  Go to http://orbilogin.com/, Advanced tab, Administration / Firmware Update to see.
  2. How far away is the satellite from your router?
  3. When you go to http://orbilogin.com/ and click on Attached Devices, does the satellite show "Good" and "5 Ghz" for its connection?
  4. Can you wire a PC to the satellite and run a speed test using https://speedtest.net/ in a browser?
  5. Does the same speed test run on a PC wired to the router give similar speed results?
Message 24 of 33
mafia2303
Aspirant

Thank you for the suggestions

1.Yes I am running the latest firmware (4.6.3.16),on both router and satellite

2.Satellite about 20 feet from router on a different floor, this is a modern house with no known issues re thick walls etc

3.Satellite does show "good" and "5Ghz" withinattached devices

4.I cannot do a wired speed test as my pc has not ethernet port (Apple Im afraid) but using a laptop connected wirelessly to the satellite showed a speed of 529mbps and to the router 547mbps 

Message 25 of 33
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 32 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7