Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Wifi calling struggle with Orbi mesh. Need help please

JHB545
Aspirant

Wifi calling struggle with Orbi mesh. Need help please

Newby here. I have an Orbi RBR 850 mesh in my home with Spectrum supplied modem (Spectrum’s Technicolor ET2251) Wifi works fine. 

My Wifi calling with a variety of iphones is horrible. When and if I can call out or receive a call, it fades out and drops the call usually within a minute. I have tried some suggested setting changes on the router (from this forum), to no avail. 

Is this a problem with the modem?? What settings do you suggest for the router?  Thank you so much!!!

Jan

Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Wifi calling struggle with Orbi mesh. Need help please

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6A STP is recommended. 

What iOS is loaded on the iPhones? 

How many RBS are deployed? 
What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR📡 and RBS🛰️ to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite ‌‌🛰

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Smart Parental Controls or Circle, Traffic Meter.

Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set CTS to 64 or try 500 or 2347. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s). Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try enabling SIP ALG under Advanced Tab/Setup/WAN Setup and test WiFi phone calls.

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? A complete pull of the power adapters for a period of time after the factory reset then walk thru the setup wizard and setup from scratch with a wired PC and web browser. Recommend setting the default DHCP IP address pool range to the following after applying and a factory reset: 192.168.#.100 to 192.168.#.200.
https://kb.netgear.com/24089/How-do-I-specify-the-pool-of-IP-addresses-assigned-by-my-Nighthawk-rout...
I would power OFF the ISP modem for 1 minute. Factory reset the Orbi router and power it off. Power ON the ISP modem and let it sync. Then power ON the Orbi router and walk thru the setup wizard again using a wired PC and a web browser.
Press the back reset button for 15 seconds then release. 
https://kb.netgear.com/31486/How-do-I-reset-my-Orbi-system-to-factory-default-settings
https://kb.netgear.com/000062081/How-do-I-erase-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System

Message 2 of 6
Phyber
Luminary

Who is your cellular provider? I have the RBK753 (RBR750 and two RBS750 satellites) and use WiFi-C (WiFi Calling) exclusively. We have zero issues in-home (3500 sq.ft.) or on our property (1/2 acre). We use various models iPhones. Our Android friends have no issues either when they come over. AT&T is our cellular provider. For WiFi-C to work properly certain ports need to remain open (depends on the provider) and your in-home WiFi signal needs to be consistently stronger than the in-coming cellular signal. If not, the phone will have issues "knowing" which signal to lock onto and stay locked on to.

Xfinity is our ISP and I use my own modem (Motorola DOCSIS 3.1), and my Orbi settings are fairly generic (mostly defaults). I would suspect the Spectrum Technicolor.

Message 3 of 6
JHB545
Aspirant

I use Spectrum Mobile for cellular. Tech I spoke to said not their issue. My cellular signal is definitely consistently weaker than wifi signal.

Can you elaborate on the "ports that needs to be open"? I assume that is on MOdem??

Thanks

Jan

Message 4 of 6
JHB545
Aspirant

Thanks for the detailed reply!!!

The modem is Spectrum’s Technicolor ET2251

I have two satellites deployed,  each on a different floor from the base router. Close to 30feet apart, but maybe not quite. I figured being on different floors, makes 30ft requirement less important??

Modem is right next to router, with good cable in between.  I have power cycled modem and router many times, and router has had firmware updates. (Not sure how to update modem???)

We have neighbors, but only two visible to me.

Have tried different bands. 

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

What iOS is loaded on the iPhones?

Yes distances are important for any MESH system. 
What channels are you currently using now on the RBR? 

I would try this, turn OFF the RBS. Then try a WiFi call with just being connected at the RBR. 

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Smart Parental Controls or Circle, Traffic Meter.

Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set CTS to 64 or try 500 or 2347. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s). Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try enabling SIP ALG under Advanced Tab/Setup/WAN Setup on the RBR and test WiFi phone calls.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7