Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Xfinity 2gbps plan - how to get most speed out of RB850

theycallmerayj
Aspirant

Xfinity 2gbps plan - how to get most speed out of RB850

I just got xfinity's 2gbps plan and was wondering what speeds I should expect from the satellites. When I run a speed test direct from the router I get 2000mbps-2400mbps, but when I run on devices the most I get is around 550mbps with one of the satellites directly connected to my computer via ethernet. I know there is a drop off in speed with wifi devices, but I'm wondering if this is normal, or should I be looking to upgrade networking equipment with the new plan.

Thanks

Message 1 of 5

Re: Xfinity 2gbps plan - how to get most speed out of RB850

@theycallmerayj wrote:

I know there is a drop off in speed with wifi devices, but I'm wondering if this is normal, or should I be looking to upgrade networking equipment with the new plan.

Depends on the speed of your wifi clients.

The WAN port on the RBR850 does support 2.5 Gbps. (Is that what you have? There is no RB850.) But does your modem? You don't say what that is.

Message 2 of 5
theycallmerayj
Aspirant

Sorry, it’s an arris s33 modem.
Message 3 of 5

@theycallmerayj wrote:
Sorry, it’s an arris s33 modem.

Looks like modem only cable device that should support Multi-Gigabit Internet. You just have to get the settings right, if it doesn't do it automatically.

But the rest of the wired network also has to be Multi-Gigabit. Few PCs offer that.

It is also way beyond just about every wifi device you can buy.

Message 4 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

You should see near or just over 900Mpbs on the LAN ports from the RBR. You'll not see much over that though.

If you have a 4x4 MIMO wifi device, then you could see up to around 2Gb on 5Ghz AX. Most phones and pad are 2x2 so most top out at around 500-700Mpbs depending on design and support of the wifi device from the Mfr. 

https://www.increasebroadbandspeed.co.uk/realistic-speeds-wi-fi-5-and-wi-fi-6
https://www.duckware.com/tech/wifi-in-the-us.html
https://support.google.com/fiber/answer/6250056#zippy=%2Cmobile-devices-wi-fi

If you want to see past 1Gb on the LAN, you'll need a different Orbi router that has higher speed LAN ports, i.e. 960 or 970 series. 

@theycallmerayj wrote:

I just got xfinity's 2gbps plan and was wondering what speeds I should expect from the satellites. When I run a speed test direct from the router I get 2000mbps-2400mbps, but when I run on devices the most I get is around 550mbps with one of the satellites directly connected to my computer via ethernet. I know there is a drop off in speed with wifi devices, but I'm wondering if this is normal, or should I be looking to upgrade networking equipment with the new plan.

Thanks

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7