Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

DHCP Server on Orbi - Configure additonal DNS Servers???

Wodpqldcmff
Aspirant

DHCP Server on Orbi - Configure additonal DNS Servers???

Hello -

By default, it looks to me that DHCP clients on the network receive the Orbi's LAN IP address for DNS server when DHCP is enabled.  The Orbi is DNS forwarding using the Internet Setup based DNS entries.  Is there any way for me to specifiy additional DNS servers for my DHCP clients to receive?  I want the first DNS server to be a local A/D server, then additional DNS servers to be based upon Internet Setup based DNS entries, or something close to that.

Thanks,

j

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 3
raven_au
Virtuoso

Re: DHCP Server on Orbi - Configure additonal DNS Servers???

@Wodpqldcmff wrote:

Hello -

By default, it looks to me that DHCP clients on the network receive the Orbi's LAN IP address for DNS server when DHCP is enabled.  The Orbi is DNS forwarding using the Internet Setup based DNS entries.  Is there any way for me to specifiy additional DNS servers for my DHCP clients to receive?  I want the first DNS server to be a local A/D server, then additional DNS servers to be based upon Internet Setup based DNS entries, or something close to that.

Yes, interesting question.

I think the only way you might be able to achieve that is to not use the router DHCP.

Perhaps you could use the AD server as the DHCP server and disable DHCP on the router if there's sufficient functionality in AD.

Ian

Message 2 of 3
ering210
Aspirant

Re: DHCP Server on Orbi - Configure additonal DNS Servers???

Is this the definitive answer? I've just set up a Pi Hole and would like to hand out it's address for DNS. This is a basic capability of every DHCP server...Thanks!

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7