Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Divide 5G Orbi RBR350

giovannicono
Follower

Divide 5G Orbi RBR350

I've an IoT device to connect to Orbi Wi-Fi, but it need to have a separate SSID for 5G and 2.4G to work. As i can read, Orbi new firmware doesn't allow to divide the two SSID. I tried to switch off 5G from router settings, but when I turn it on again IoT device stop working, I don't know why this works for other users.

Is there another solution?

Message 1 of 3
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Divide 5G Orbi RBR350

Can you please identify the specific device?  The device itself has only a 2.4G radio.  It cannot detect or connect to 5G.  If the customer has only 5G WiFi (no 2.4G at all), then the device has nothing to connect to.  This situation would be absurd because all consumer WiFi routers provide both 2.4G and 5G (as does the Orbi).

Is there a specific step in the setup that fails?

Message 2 of 3
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Divide 5G Orbi RBR350

So you might want to also change the power output of the 5Ghz radio to 25% on the RBR. Turn OFF any RBS while you try this. Then connect your mobile device at a distance from the RBR to ensure the mobile phone keeps connected to the 2.4Ghz radio. After you get the IoT device connected, re-configure the system back to where it was. 

FYI, Netgear has set up a community forum specifically for the Orbi AX (WiFi 6) products:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/bd-p/en-home-orbi-ax

Please use this link to the main forum product list to review and choose where to make your posts. 
https://community.netgear.com/t5/NETGEAR-Forum/ct-p/en-netgear

Thank you

@giovannicono wrote:

I've an IoT device to connect to Orbi Wi-Fi, but it need to have a separate SSID for 5G and 2.4G to work. As i can read, Orbi new firmware doesn't allow to divide the two SSID. I tried to switch off 5G from router settings, but when I turn it on again IoT device stop working, I don't know why this works for other users.

Is there another solution?

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7