Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Extending Orbi to barn 300 feet away

heathyrnance
Initiate

Extending Orbi to barn 300 feet away

We have the Orbi RBR50 mesh system with 2 satellites.  One satellite is in a 2nd story window with direct sight to our barn 300 feet away.  I've tried to use a Netgear Powerline adapter to extend coverage from house to barn (ethernet cable from satellite in window - ethernet cable to outlet in barn.  Both on same electric meter. Yes, it did work when I tried it in the house near each other).  The powerline adapter recognizes itself for about 3 seconds in barn then drops the connection.  Are these not compatible?  Really don't want to spend the money on another satellite but should I look at purchasing another Orbi?  Would it extend wifi to the barn enough for Smart TV and Xbox?

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Extending Orbi to barn 300 feet away

300 feet is too far for wifi signals between the RBR and RBS. 

So if the RBS is connected with the PLs in the middle between the RBS and RBR while in the house, does this configuration work while in the house? LAN cable connect the RBS to the PL.

If after testing in the house, the RBS doesn't work via LAN cable to the PL out in the barn, possible the run maybe to far for the PL. 

You are using the same PL that you tested in the house, then moved it back to the barn with the RBS? RBS should be LAN cable connected to the PL. There have been other posts regarding PLs and those have worked, however nothing out at 300feet. 

Message 2 of 9
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Perhaps this will help:

A general rule of thumb in home networking says that Wi-Fi routers operating on the traditional 2.4 GHz band reach up to 150 feet (46 m) indoors and 300 feet (92 m) outdoors. Older 802.11a routers that ran on 5 GHz bands reached approximately one-third of these distances.

IMO...the reference to the outdoor 300 foot range is probably IF your router has an unobstructed range, i.e. no wall, trees, neighbors, all the stuff that breakdowns a wifi signal.  The neighbor factor (who you share wifi channels) is huge.  Some folks I know who live in rual areas have far greater range than I do.

I don't believe adding another Sat would help in your case.

Message 3 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

@heathyrnance wrote:

We have the Orbi RBR50 mesh system with 2 satellites.  One satellite is in a 2nd story window with direct sight to our barn 300 feet away.  I've tried to use a Netgear Powerline adapter to extend coverage from house to barn (ethernet cable from satellite in window - ethernet cable to outlet in barn.  Both on same electric meter. Yes, it did work when I tried it in the house near each other).

As others have pointed out, 300ft. is too far for an Orbi 5GHz backhaul signal and may be too far for PowerLine.  Others have had success with a pair of Ubiquiti Nano Stations (there are several models. Search the forum.)

https://www.ui.com/airmax/nanostation-ac/ 

Message 4 of 9
plemans
Guru

I would investigate a point to point system. There's many different models you could choose from. I've never used one but know of someone who used an engenius model that worked well for round 600ft. 

Message 5 of 9
Orbi-Roc
Luminary

Hi @heathyrnance . Have you considered extending your network with an Orbi RBS50Y outdoor satellite? It seems to me that if installed halfway between the house and the barn, with Daisy-Chain topology enabled, it could do the trick. Perhaps a wise thing to do would be to query this Community on this outdoor Orbi and see what other users are saying about it. Amazon reviews seem to be pretty positive. Good luck!

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 6 of 9
plemans
Guru

the RBS50Y wouldn't reach (as you said) and would be in the middle. So they'd still need to add something in the barn on the other end. it'd probably work to go   house----rbs50y-----AP in barn but it  might be expensive. Many point-point systems have an AP built into them and many tend to be cheaper than the RBS50Y. 

Message 7 of 9
heathyrnance
Initiate

Re: Extending Orbi to barn 300 feet away - UPDATE

So I did end up purchasing the Outdoor Orbi from Costco and it did the trick!  320 feet away from the house and it picked up the wifi flawlessly on the outside of our barn.  I tried putting it inside, but the amber colored light was on and the signal was not strong.  So we mounted it about 8 feet up with a direct view of a window at the house where we have another Orbi satellite.  We do have a decidious tree in between, without leaves on it now, so no telling if it will continue to work well in the summer.  We have a strong (blue light) signal and am able to run multiple devices off the wifi, along with streaming movies, xbox, etc.  THANK YOU ORBI!!!!!

Message 8 of 9
Orbi-Roc
Luminary

Re: Extending Orbi to barn 300 feet away - UPDATE

@heathyrnance  -- Go to hear. I thought it would work just fine. Enjoy!

Model: A6200|802.11ac Dual Band WiFi USB Adapter, RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 7 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7