Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Finding out ideal radio Tx

mith_it
Luminary

Finding out ideal radio Tx

I have an RBK53, but I have to say it covers my home very well, in fact too well. I found that often I am getting decent wifi performance while being connected to the farthest satellite/router. I am thinking of reducing the TX of both 2.4 and 5Ghz wifi to reduce interface, reduce radiation on us and incentivize my devices to hop to a closer satellite more frequently.

Is there a recommendation on how to measure overlap so that I can try different TX levels and find the right middle ground?

Also, is there a way to maybe have different TX on the router and individual satellites? I know I have one that needs to cover a longer range than the other two devices
Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
mith_it
Luminary

Re: Finding out ideal radio Tx

With not too much fiddling I found that I can enable debug on both the router and satellites. I can then telnet to any device and manually set wl_tpscale for 2.4Ghz and wla_tpscale for 5ghz.

The devices take the setting immediately as I can see the change the router's Web UI. I haven't tested if it ACTUALLY changes the TX. At this point I'm still trying to figure out the ideal configuration for me.

I also have not tried rebooting the devices.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 6

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Since there isn't any power settings on the satellite, you'll have to play around with the power settings on the router. I presume if you reduce the power on the router, satellites may need to be placed a bit closer, which you'll also need to play around with there placement if you do this. You'll need to check the status on the connection seen on the router. Good or Poor and base your adjustments of that. Then check your devices to see how they are connected by doing some point to point connection and speed tests at various places around your home.

Message 2 of 6
mith_it
Luminary

With not too much fiddling I found that I can enable debug on both the router and satellites. I can then telnet to any device and manually set wl_tpscale for 2.4Ghz and wla_tpscale for 5ghz.

The devices take the setting immediately as I can see the change the router's Web UI. I haven't tested if it ACTUALLY changes the TX. At this point I'm still trying to figure out the ideal configuration for me.

I also have not tried rebooting the devices.
Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

You can also change power settings under Advanced tab/Advaced Settings/Wireless.

I would reboot everything and test...

Good Luck.

Message 4 of 6
mith_it
Luminary

As per my original question what I'm trying to do is have different TX settings for each device (satellites and router)
Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Are those settings working for you?

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements