Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ORBI RBR40 Not Connecting to new Modem

Huntzman
Guide

ORBI RBR40 Not Connecting to new Modem

I have an ORBI RBR 40 (main unit w/ 2 satelites). Last night a huge storm came through and blewout my modem. I replaced it this morning and went to reconnect it, but now the ORBI won't link. Have tried re-booting both a number of times, but still no connection. Wasn't sure if the ORBI is linked to the old name of the router, can't seem to find anything showing that, so I am at a loss.

Message 1 of 44

Accepted Solutions
st_shaw
Master

Re: ORBI RBR40 Not Connecting to new Modem

@Huntzman wrote:

I'm going to try that tomorrow st_shaw - I already put away the cable and my brain is toast right now. I'm pissed about not being able to game tonight and vent my rage *LOL*

It's killing me that I had zero issues before, and now nothing but........

Right now I have the Orbi (yellow port) wired into the LAN1 port, so tomorrow I will disable the wireless setting on the Zhone and see if that corrects things. 

Sounds good.  After disabling wireless on the Zhone make sure you log into the Orbi interface and switch from Router mode to Access Point mode. It's under Advanced, Advanced Setup, Router/AP Mode.

View solution in original post

Message 36 of 44

All Replies
Huntzman
Guide

Just some follow-up information.

The new modem is a Zhone (Local Telephone / Internet Provider). It's the same type as the old one.

I've tried several times to re-install / reboot. The Orbi appears, but there is no communication between it and the modem.

I am able to connect directly to the modem. 

Message 2 of 44
st_shaw
Master

If the storm blew out your modem, and the Orbi was wired to it, maybe the Orbi was damaged also.

Message 3 of 44
Huntzman
Guide

No, the only part of my modem that blew was the 'wireless' component, so they told me I would have to swap that out if I wanted to use the wirless feature, which my desktop used. My kid was hard wired to the Orbi and he still had a connection. The connectivity issue didn't arise until I swapped the modems out.

Message 4 of 44
st_shaw
Master

@Huntzman wrote:

No, the only part of my modem that blew was the 'wireless' component, so they told me I would have to swap that out if I wanted to use the wirless feature, which my desktop used. My kid was hard wired to the Orbi and he still had a connection. The connectivity issue didn't arise until I swapped the modems out.

Ok, but that doesn't seem to make sense.  If you had an Orbi, then you normally should not have been using the wireless on your old modem.  In that case, you should stil be able to use the old modem even if the wireless was non-functional.

Anyway... If your new modem is configured the same as your old modem, you shouldn't need to change anything on Orbi, except maybe cycle power.

Message 5 of 44
Huntzman
Guide

It's making me scratch my head as well. 

I got up this morning and my computer (desktop standalone) was not connected. It normally connects to the ORBI, but I noted that the Modem was showing as not being connected (little yelow caution sign). When this happens I normally reboot everything and it's fine, but not this time. My son, whos PS4 is hardwired to the ORBI was connected, so I knew that was working. I contacted my ISP and they did a line test and she aid that it appeared as if the Wi-Fi aspect wasn't working and told me to swap out modems. They gave me a new one, not the exact model, but now the unit name and password are different from the old modem. Could this be the reason why the ORBI isn't connecting ? If it could be, how do you change it ?

Message 6 of 44
FURRYe38
Guru

Whats the Mfr and model# of the new modem?

Is this DSL or cable ISP?

@Huntzman wrote:

It's making me scratch my head as well. 

I got up this morning and my computer (desktop standalone) was not connected. It normally connects to the ORBI, but I noted that the Modem was showing as not being connected (little yelow caution sign). When this happens I normally reboot everything and it's fine, but not this time. My son, whos PS4 is hardwired to the ORBI was connected, so I knew that was working. I contacted my ISP and they did a line test and she aid that it appeared as if the Wi-Fi aspect wasn't working and told me to swap out modems. They gave me a new one, not the exact model, but now the unit name and password are different from the old modem. Could this be the reason why the ORBI isn't connecting ? If it could be, how do you change it ?

Message 7 of 44
Huntzman
Guide

The new modem is a Zhone Technologies Model #6729-W1-NA0CC

The incoming DSL line is from my phone company

Message 8 of 44
FURRYe38
Guru

Is this the modem?

http://dasanzhone.com/product/vdsl2-6729-w1/

Regarding Modem Combo Units:
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, LAN to LAN and configure AP mode on the Orbi router.

Message 9 of 44
Huntzman
Guide

Yes, it is........ but here is the other issue, I feel like a complete technological idiot. So I don't have a clue as to how to accomplsin anything you wrote. I'm "pretty sure" the old setup was Lan to Lan, but not sure how to determine if the ORBI is in AP mode. I've gone through the app, but I have seen nothing there to help.

Message 10 of 44
FURRYe38
Guru

Do you have a PC or Laptop with a LAN connection? I highly recommend that you connect a PC or laptop to the Orbi router. Use a web browser and connect to the routers web page. You can find what mode the Orbi is using under Advanced/Advanced wireless. There will be Router or AP mode listed here. You can configure the routers web page from here as well. Also you can connect to the ISP Modems web page too.

Message 11 of 44
Huntzman
Guide

Okay, I have a laptop and an extra cable that I can hook up directly to the Orbi. 

What is the web address that I should use to check the Orbi settings ? 

Message 12 of 44
FURRYe38
Guru

192.168.1.1 or www.orbilogin.com

Message 13 of 44
Huntzman
Guide

Should the ORBI be connected to the WAN port on the router or one of the LAN slots ?

Message 14 of 44
Huntzman
Guide

Okay, so when I hook everything up and try and access the system through the laptop, it tells me that my user name and password are incorrect, then it asks me two security questions, but the only problem is we have never filled out any security questions for this system........ 

I just tried running and re-running the install, but it keeps coming back that the system is already installed and there is no internet connection

Message 15 of 44
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, since you didn't set up the initial admin PW and such, I would do a factory reset on the router. Have the PC connected to the LAN port. You can have the WAN port connected to the main ISP modem. Hold the reset button in back of the router till the top led turns amber yellowish. Then let go. The top led should blink WHITE ON and OFF then start to plusate slowly. Should be able to log into 192.168.1.1 and the setup wizard should be presented. Walk thru this and set this up. Write down you infomation so you know what it is for future reference.

Message 16 of 44
Huntzman
Guide

OK, I'm gonna go and try and do the hard reset the ORBI now

Message 17 of 44
Huntzman
Guide

YOU ARE THE MAN (OR WOMAN) !!!!!!!!!!!!! Robot LOL

Seriously, the hard reset worked !!! Everythings back and function as before. 

I owe you !!

Message 18 of 44
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad it's working again. Now you can go back and decide to use DMZ on your ISP modem if you wanna use the Orbi in Router mode or change to AP mode. If its workng for now, I'd leave the Orbi where it's at and set up the DMZ on the modem for the Orbi router.

Glad I could be of help. Enjoy.

M here. Smiley Tongue

Message 19 of 44
Huntzman
Guide

Well, I decided to not mess with it, as it was working great, but today we lost power and now I am having an issue with it connecting to the modem. again. So, I'm gonna re-do everything and see what happens.

Message 20 of 44
FURRYe38
Guru

DMZ should help this time...

Message 21 of 44
Huntzman
Guide

I'm actually having a hard time trying to even get into the ORBI. I did a re-set, thinking that would help, but I can't even login to the ORBI management system to even check the settings. It keeps asking for name and password, but won't accept them. Either the generic admin / password combo or the one I set up and is saved to auto login. 

Message 22 of 44
FURRYe38
Guru

Are you using a wired PC connected to the Router? I recommend this.

What browser are you using? I prefer IE11 or FF.

Besure any browser or PC security is temporarily disabled.

Clear all browser caches, quit the browser then re-open and navigate to 192.168.1.1

Message 23 of 44
Huntzman
Guide

Yes, I have my laptop hardwired to the ORBI.

Have cleared out the cache (Using Chrome, but can try FF)

It's the same one I used the other day to access the address (192.168.1.1) with success.

Kinda stumped by it. Gonna try and re-do everything from square one again.

Message 24 of 44
Huntzman
Guide

Okay, have gone through the setup and on the phone app it is asking me for the WiFi Network Name (SSID) and Newtork Key (Password), but everytime I try and enter it, it keeps saying "oops something went wrong"

Message 25 of 44
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 43 replies
  • 13 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7