Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Optimal Settings for Orbi RBR 40 with ATT Fiber and Direct TV

rrh770
Aspirant

Optimal Settings for Orbi RBR 40 with ATT Fiber and Direct TV

I am currently running AT&T Fiber and DirectTV via a BGW210-700 Gateway.   I purchased an Orbi RBK43 Wifi System to extend range and increase my bandwidth (RBR40 Router and two RBS20 Satellites.

I set up the Orbi Router in AP mode and it is connected via Ethernet to the BGW210.   Since I cannot turn off the BGW210's Wifi due to the DirectTV and home phone line coming off the BGW210, is there a concern about having the two routers operating concurrently and in close proximity?

1.  Is there anything I can do to improve this configuration?

2.  Is there anything I can do to reduce the potential for radio interference or other issues?  I thought I had read something about dedicating channels between the two devices if I need both networks.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Model: RBK43| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Optimal Settings for Orbi RBR 40 with ATT Fiber and Direct TV

Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz. Besure if your using wifi on the ISP modem to set channels as far away from what you set on the Orbi. ISP modem set channel 1, Orbi set channel 11. 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.

@rrh770 wrote:

I am currently running AT&T Fiber and DirectTV via a BGW210-700 Gateway.   I purchased an Orbi RBK43 Wifi System to extend range and increase my bandwidth (RBR40 Router and two RBS20 Satellites.

I set up the Orbi Router in AP mode and it is connected via Ethernet to the BGW210.   Since I cannot turn off the BGW210's Wifi due to the DirectTV and home phone line coming off the BGW210, is there a concern about having the two routers operating concurrently and in close proximity?

1.  Is there anything I can do to improve this configuration?

2.  Is there anything I can do to reduce the potential for radio interference or other issues?  I thought I had read something about dedicating channels between the two devices if I need both networks.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Message 2 of 4
rrh770
Aspirant

Thanks.  Will try the settings for the Radio's. 

>6,000 sq ft across three levels.   Internet comes in at the edge of Level 1.   I'm close to 30' straight up through two floors to one, and about 30-40 feet on Level 2.  Both registered and turn blue.   Would be nice if the indicator lights stayed on so you could always see the status.

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, you should be good then. Ya, well if there was a problem in signal then LED on top would come on, Pink:

https://kb.netgear.com/000045868/What-do-the-LEDs-on-my-Orbi-Pro-devices-mean

Some users don't like it when the LED is always on. So NG had to compromise somewhere. Smiley Wink

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7