× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi AC3000 Working

BobDuke
Apprentice

Orbi AC3000 Working

I've seen a number of postings from those that have had problems with their Orbi system.  I know that issues with any product occur.  I know that there are always features that would be helpful - I could list several that I wish were present. 

I'm curious as to how many of you are not having any serious issue with your Orbi system.  And please provide a bit of detail on the software release and number of devices attached.  The reson for this request is to attempt to determine if the issues that are posted are exceptions to the rule, or if everyone is having issues.

I've had my Orbi system (RBK50) for about a week now.  I updated both Orbi units to 2.1.1.12 following the manual process. 

My house is 1200 sq feet per floor, with one Orbi unit at each end of the building, one on each floor.  Backhaul between the Orbi units is 5 G wireless.

I am supporting 11 devices, 3 wired, 8 wireless.  Wireless is mostly 5 G, but some 2.4 G exists.  Included in the mix are Windows 7 PC's, Android phones and tablets, Roku units, an Epson printer and a Samsung TV.  No Apple products.

My intent is for the Orbi system to replace a Meraki equipment stack (router, switch & AP) that I received as part of my Meraki certification.

So far, it looks like all is going well.  No burps worth mentioning.

Thanks.

Bob

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 10
netgearguy
Apprentice

Re: Orbi AC3000 Working

Nice to see a positive post. 🙂

You might share where you puchased your system - I've wondered if there is a HW issue behind the terrible experiences some people are having - maybe Netgear is getting the same components from different suppliers and one of more of those suppliers is delivering less robust products.  In that case, maybe which retail channel you get your unit from might make a difference, if different retailers get products from different distribution centers. 

My RBK30 (RBR40/RBW30) was from Best Buy and had persistent complete disconnects (ethernet and Wi-Fi) regardless of FW version. I have another ordered from Amazon to try out to see if a different unit from another source might behave better. 

Message 2 of 10
jmschnur923
Luminary

I have an RBK 53 from Costco. I have had no operational problems with the two sats daisy chained since November. I have 31+ devices . It is in AP mode with Fios. I routinely get 85  speed using speakeasy  in all places in my 2500 sq ft home . I went from .074 to .076 to 2.12. without any real issue.

However the the GUI does not report my devices properly ion any Sat nor on other router, Never the less the devices from ROKU to IPad to Logitech all work well.

Message 3 of 10
BobDuke
Apprentice

I purchased my RBK50 kit from B&H photo.   They were out of stock at the time I ordered, and it took a week for them to receive additional inventory. 

Message 4 of 10
tagteam
Virtuoso

I have an RBK53 system from Costco. I purchased the system several months ago, but waited to set it up until September (after the switch from Comcast to Summit (fiber) was complete). The system came with v1.4.0.18 which, at some point, auto-updated to v2.0.0.74 (and I'm still on that version). I am running in router mode and have had zero issues......thus far.

With respect to attached devices, that would be 4 Windows 10 PCs (2 wired to the router, one wired to a Sat, one wireless), 3 Brother printers, 2 iPads, 3 iPhones, 1 Samsung Network Extender (wired to the router), 1 Chromecast, 1 Fire TV Stick, and 1 TV.

Backhaul is 5G wireless and there are two walls between the router and the Sats, which are around 35-45 feet from the router.

Message 5 of 10
godspeed
Apprentice

I have now purchased 2 sets of the RBK50, one from Amazon a few weeks ago, and the other from Walmart a few days ago.  My intent on the Walmart purchase, was to try and rule out the possiblity of the Amazon version being a bad hardware version.  On the amazon version, on both 2.0 and 2.1 firmware's, constant reboots occur on the satellite and the router, as noted by the system uptime resetting on the debug.htm pages. 

I installed 2.0 and 2.1 on the Walmart version as well, and, unfortunately, same problem.  I downgraded to 1.11, and for the last 12 hours, its been running fine, so far.

I did notice that the box for the Orbi is different between the 2 versions (amazon and walmart).  the walmart one has the router and satellite sitting on top of each other, whereas the amazon box had them side by side standing up, with the power supply box between them.

I use an Asus router for routing, and have the Orbis in AP mode.  I have done every combination of wireless settings and placement that i can think of (I am a fairly technical person), multiple factory resets, etc on the Amazon version, but i finally packed it up and sent it back for refund today.

I'm hoping the Walmart version (manufactured in 9/2017) fairs better, but i have an Eero Gen 2 with 2 beacons on its way from Amazon, just in case.

I really want the Orbi to work for me, as its perfect for my needs, but it has to be something that i can set and forget, not something i have to constantly monitor and tweak just to work, from firmware to firmware version.

Message 6 of 10
BobDuke
Apprentice

Where do I find the manufacture date?

Message 7 of 10
godspeed
Apprentice

I found a sticker on the walmart box that had a date of 9/2017...sorry, this may not be the manufactured date, but the date that walmart received it in their stock.

my apologies for any confusion!

Message 8 of 10
netgearguy
Apprentice

I think you'll find the Eero Gen 2 system pretty flawless in terms of "just working." Mine has be absolutely boring overall (in a good way) since I set it up. I think the Orbi setup I had (the "lesser" RBK30 system) had overall faster throughput, but as we all know, that came at a high price in terms of disconnects. 

Interesting the differning packaging. My RBK30 system also had the two units on top of each other, satellie below, router above, both laying down. I've already returned it or I would look for a manuf. date. When my next set arrives (from Amazon) I'll be interested to see which packaging I get. 

Message 9 of 10
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@netgearguy wrote:

I think you'll find the Eero Gen 2 system pretty flawless in terms of "just working." Mine has be absolutely boring overall (in a good way) since I set it up. I think the Orbi setup I had (the "lesser" RBK30 system) had overall faster throughput, but as we all know, that came at a high price in terms of disconnects. 

Interesting the differning packaging. My RBK30 system also had the two units on top of each other, satellie below, router above, both laying down. I've already returned it or I would look for a manuf. date. When my next set arrives (from Amazon) I'll be interested to see which packaging I get. 

Bought my Orbi from Costco last month.  So far it's been fine.  It did a firmware update upon install and since then I haven't touched it.  I beleive I'm at 2.0074..??    I don't do manual updates.  At any time I may have 20+ devices online.  This morning I did get the infamous Blue-Light constant 'ON' with one of the Sats.   May end up dong a power reset.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7