Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBR20 - no upload speed

tgermain
Aspirant

Orbi RBR20 - no upload speed

Hello !

So my problem is about upload speed (download speed is as expected). I should have about ~20 mbps according to my ISP, but I only have something arround 0.01 (yes really !).

I have a box from my ISP (modem + router). It is bridged, so my orbi is on router mode. It works perfectly for more than 2 years (meaning, correct speed). I also have two RBS20. I also have a switch wired to the ethernet port of the RBR20.

Firmware version is the latest for now: V2.7.3.22 (for RBR20 and RBS20)

I did some test, and I can confirm it comes from RBR20, see below:

- So first, I can get a "live estimation" of my speed from my ISP, it says about 70mbps download and 20mbp upload.

- I did a speed from RBR20, it shows a correct upload (~20mbps).

--> It can't be the "RJ45 cable (the one providing internet to the RBR20), because the upload is good at the RBR20 itself 

- I did a speed test from a computer directly wired behind the modem -> it shows ~20mbps upload

--> At this point, I'm already 100% sure the issue is related to the RBR20.

- I did a speed test on wifi (so behind the RBR20) -> it shows 0.01mbps

- I did a speed test wired (behind the RBR20) -> it shows 0.01mbps

- I did a speed test directly wired to my RBR20 ethernet port (with 2 differents RJ45 cable) -> it shows 0.01mbps

- I removed all the wired devices (= unplugged my switch from the RBR20) and disable the wifi (5ghz, 2.4 and guest) and did a test directly wired to my RBR20 ethernet port -> it shows 0.0.1 (so no nothing can use the upload execpt my computer)

- Restart of the RBR20, nothing change

- Restart of the ISP box, nothing change

- Reset of te RBR20, nothing change

- Reset if the ISP box, nothing change

traffic metter, parental control, access control are disabled 

I first thoug it could be the RJ45 port itself, but I also have the probem on wifi,so it excludes the port.

I'm a bit stuck now and I don't know where to look at, does anybody have an idea where I can look at ?

As I said, it was working for more than 2 years without issue and I did no changes.

Thanks for your help,

Thomas

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 12

Accepted Solutions
tgermain
Aspirant

Re: Orbi RBR20 - no upload speed

I found the solution.

On my internet setup page, I configured PPPOE with my login/passw coming from my ISP. I just change "Does your Internet connection require a login?" To "No" and now my upload speed is as expected ! 

View solution in original post

Message 12 of 12

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What happens if you configure  the modem for router mode and configure the RBR for AP mode? 

Have you powered OFF both modem and RBR for 1 minute then back ON? 

Message 2 of 12
tgermain
Aspirant

Hello,

turning off for 1 minutes didn't help, but switching to AP mode did (-> upload speed is as expected).

The end goal is to keep the router mode (there is much more options in the rbr20). So, do you know what could be the cause ?

Thanks for your help !

Message 3 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Possible problem between the modem and RBR.

What happens if you leave the modem in router mode. Configure the RBR for router mode and use the modems DMZ for the IP address the RBR gets from the modem?

Message 4 of 12
tgermain
Aspirant

So my modem is in router mode (so it gets a public IP), orbi also in router mode (so it gets a second public IP) right ?

I tried to put my second public ip (the one the orbi gets) in the DMZ of the modem, but it says the address is not in IPv4 pool range Smiley Frustrated (and yes, the IP is correct. You know why I want to get the orbi in router mode ^^)

Message 5 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

@tgermain wrote:

So my modem is in router mode (so it gets a public IP), orbi also in router mode (so it gets a second public IP) right ? NO. 

I tried to put my second public ip (the one the orbi gets) in the DMZ of the modem, but it says the address is not in IPv4 pool range Smiley Frustrated (and yes, the IP is correct. You know why I want to get the orbi in router mode ^^) 

What IP address does the RBR get in router mode on it's WAN port? It should be a 192 or 10 kind of address. Input this IP address into the modems DMZ...

Message 6 of 12
tgermain
Aspirant

Well, since the orbi is in router mode (and not AP mode) it gets a public IP on it's WAN port , it doesn't get any private ip from modem's DHCP.

Message 7 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

You sure the modem is in router mode? When in router mode it should get a private IP address from the modems LAN side. Unless you have IP pass thru set if thats a feature on this modem.

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Message 8 of 12
tgermain
Aspirant

My ISP box is actually a router and a modem. As far as I know, there is no way to desactivate router mode. The only relevant thing I can do is activate/desactive PPPOE:

- activated, means the box will get a public IP

- desactived means it won't get public IP and rely on something else (here my orbi) to ask for the public ip. But it will still have a private IP, can still provide WIFI, DHCP, etc.

So for now, my ISP box gets a public IP and has a private IP (192.168.1.1), same for my orbi, it receives a public IP on WAN port and it has a private IP (10.0.0.1).

My ISP provider is proximus, the box is BBOX 3V+, the hardware is SAGEMCOM CS 50001 (there are user, admin and expert users, by I only have access to user level)

Message 9 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

I presume the handling of the pass thru to the RBR while both are in router mode is the problem. I recommend for best use, use the the Orbi in AP mode to avoid this issue. 

Message 10 of 12
tgermain
Aspirant

Well, I don't know if it can be that, it worked for 2+ years without issue
Message 11 of 12
tgermain
Aspirant

I found the solution.

On my internet setup page, I configured PPPOE with my login/passw coming from my ISP. I just change "Does your Internet connection require a login?" To "No" and now my upload speed is as expected ! 

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7