Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBR50 Connection Issues - AX201 160 MHz

rkarjadi
Aspirant

Orbi RBR50 Connection Issues - AX201 160 MHz

I've been having WiFi connectivity and internet issues when trying to connect to my Orbi RBR50 from my new PC that has an Intel(R) WiFi-6 AX201 160 MHz adapter in the motherboard. All other devices connected to the Orbi network have no issues with connectivity, internet or speed. When my PC connects to the Orbi WiFi, it either connects and has no internet (No Internet, Secured), connects but has dreadly slow speeds (15 upload and 10 download as opposed to the actual 250 up and down), or has no internet at all. I've tried updating my WiFi drivers and am currently trying to update the Orbi FW via the app, but it just sits on "Checking for new Firmware" for a very long time.

I saw another post here where a user says "Orbi doesn't support 160Mhz channel width on it's 1st 5Ghz radio. It is supported on it's 2nd 5Ghz radio, however that is ONLY for the wireless backhaul channel between the RBR and RBS. This is not usable by any connected client deivce nor configurable by a user.", but wasn't able to find any information on this and any attempt to directly contact NetGear support has failed. 

Message 1 of 34
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi RBR50 Connection Issues - AX201 160 MHz

I'd try some advanced adjustments on the adapters properties to see if you can tune that adapter in. Make sure it's backwards supporting of 5Ghz AC mode. Most AX adapters should be and include support for AX and 6Ghz depending on adapter.

Make sure drivers are up to date on it as well. 

Try a different adapter. 

Ya, 160Mhz is only supported on the 5Ghz wireless backhaul between the RBR and RBS. Not user accessible. 

Message 2 of 34
plemans
Guru

1. what driver are you currently running on your wifi card? 

2. is it connected to the 2.4ghz or the 5ghz? 

3. what firmware is on the orbi and the satellites?

4. What modem/gateway do you have the orbi connected to? 

5. the backhaul isn't user accessible. thats correct. While it is wide with the 160hz wide channels, its not usable. Its dedicated just for the backhaul

Message 3 of 34
CrimpOn
Guru

@rkarjadi wrote:

I saw another post here where a user says "Orbi doesn't support 160Mhz channel width on it's 1st 5Ghz radio. It is supported on it's 2nd 5Ghz radio,

This is not correct.  The original Orbi (RBR50) supports 80MHz channels for both user facing and backhaul in the 5G space.  It does not support 160MHz channels.  This Orbi also does not support 802.11ax.

When the adapter attempts to connect to the WiFi system, the adapter and WiFi access point are supposed to negotiate which capabilities they both support and the adapter should switch off ax and use a maximum channel width of 80MHz for 5G.

The 'app' is a major disappointment as far as firmware updates is concerned.  If you discover that the firmware is definitely not the current release, V2.7.4.24, then downloading firmware from the Netgear support site and manually loading it on the satellite and router is the only process that is guaranteed.

https://kb.netgear.com/31573/How-do-I-manually-upgrade-firmware-on-my-Orbi-router-using-orbilogin-co... 

Message 4 of 34
plemans
Guru

@CrimpOn My bad. Forgot it was a 4x4 antenna setup for backhaul for the 1733mbps. Not 160hz. Whoops. 

Message 5 of 34
rkarjadi
Aspirant

1. My Intel(R) WiFi-6 AX201 160MHz driver's version is 22.160.0.4 which is the latest one I got from Intel's website

2. It is connected to the 5GHz. 

3. The Orbi router's firmware is V1.3.0.26. I know it's really outdated, but the last time I attempted to update the firmware I had all sorts of issues. I wasn't able to find out the satellite's firmware version.

4. The modem it's connected to is an ASUS Wireless Router TM-AC1900

The current set up is [WiFi #2 - ASUS Wireless Router TM-AC1900] -> [WiFi #1 - Orbi Router in AP Mode] -> [2 Orbi Satellites]

I've been attempting to update the router's firmware via the Orbi app on my phone, but it seems to be just hanging on "Checking for New Firmware - Wait about 5 minutes while your orbi checks for new firmware." It seems to sit on this, but if I try to back out of the app it says "Are you sure you want to exit from the app?" so the app isn't frozen.

Message 6 of 34
FURRYe38
Guru

Since your on old v1 FW, you can't use Orbi app to update. You need to manually update using a wired PC and web browser. 

https://kb.netgear.com/000037217/How-do-I-check-and-manually-upgrade-the-firmware-on-my-Orbi-satelli...

https://kb.netgear.com/31573/How-do-I-manually-upgrade-firmware-on-my-Orbi-router-using-orbilogin-co...

Also you need to do a intermediate FW update first before you can go to the most current version of FW. You just can't apply the most current version of FW coming from old v1 FW on the RBR. 

I believe you can go directly to most current on the RBS. You would need to apply that first on the RBS. 
v2.0.0.74 was what I used to update my friends RBR50 some years ago (2017) after he bought it. Then after that I was able to apply the current version of FW on the RBR lastly. I wanna say that v2.2.1.210 or .212 was another intermediate version that had to be applied before going to a more current versions on the RBR. 

If you want to go this route.

Message 7 of 34
rkarjadi
Aspirant

So if I understand the steps correctly, I should

1) Manually update my 2 RBS50 (Satellites) to the latest firmware version (V.2.7.4.24) 

2) Manually update my RBR50 (Router) to firmware version 2.0.0.74

3) Now I should be able to update my router's firmware via the app.

3a) Or I had to do another manual update to V.2.2.1.210/212 then I can update to the latest via the app.

Message 8 of 34
FURRYe38
Guru

@rkarjadi wrote:

So if I understand the steps correctly, I should

1) Manually update my 2 RBS50 (Satellites) to the latest firmware version (V.2.7.4.24) >Yes. 

2) Manually update my RBR50 (Router) to firmware version 2.0.0.74 >Yes.

3) Now I should be able to update my router's firmware via the app. >No. You'll still need to manually update. You can try however I recommend manual with wired PC and web browser. You want to be sure the RBR is updated currectly. Orbi app has been known to cause problems. 

3a) Or I had to do another manual update to V.2.2.1.210/212 then I can update to the latest via the app. >After getting v.74 on the RBR, if you try the most current version v.24 and it won't take, try v.210 or v.212, Then try v.24 on the RBR using a wired PC and web browser. 

Message 9 of 34
rkarjadi
Aspirant

So I've gone and updated one RBS50 Satellite to 2.0.0.74 as it didn't seem to want to take the latest firmware. The satellite is on, but unable to connect to my RBR50. I'm assuming I must update RBR50 to 2.0.0.74 for them to sync together again. Just wanted to post an update.

EDIT: Both Satellites and Router were updated to firmware version 2.0.0.74. Everything synced back up and are connected. Retried internet speeds on Orbi WiFi with my computer and still get the way slower speeds, no improvement so far. Going forward with updating firmware to latest version, if it doesn't take latest will attempt to update to v.210/212 first.

Message 10 of 34
rkarjadi
Aspirant

So I followed the steps and was able to update my Orbi Router and Satellites to the latest firmware. I had to first update all satellites and router to 2.0.0.74, then update the satellites to 2.7.4.24, Afterwards the Router had to be updated to 2.2.1.212, then it updated itself to 2.7.3.22 from the web portal (no need to manually update) and then finally updated itself to 2.7.4.24.

Unforunately updating the firmware on these has not solved my issue or improved the speeds to my PC. I even added a Guest WiFi to see if that would have any better speeds, but it did not. I appreciate the help in the process of updating the firmware as I would have probably needed to do it some time in the future and had been postponing it. 

I still get the slow speeds (15 up and 10 down) while doing a speedtest via the orbilogin.com portal shows the 300 up and down I'm supposed to get. Other devices on the network get those speeds as well except my PC. 

Any other suggestions would be much appreciated. 

I tried looking through the Advanced Properties on my WiFi adapter and I'll attach an image, but I'm not sure what settings would be relevant to try adjusting.

rkarjadi_0-1664664324660.png

Message 11 of 34
FURRYe38
Guru

Try setting the drop down menu on the wireless mode to AC only if there is a option there? 

Message 12 of 34
ekhalil
Master

Please set the ac/ax mode to Auto in the laptop wireless adapter settings.
Message 13 of 34
rkarjadi
Aspirant

I changed it to 802.11ac and it didn't seem improve the speed.

Message 14 of 34
rkarjadi
Aspirant

I'm on a Desktop PC, not a laptop, and the 802.11n/ac/ax Wireless Mode does not have an Auto setting. Only Disabled, 802.11n, 802.11ac, and 802.11ax.

Message 15 of 34
ekhalil
Master

What about the other settings, anything changed from default: Channel width, Preferred Band, Mixed Mode Protection, Transmit Power, ..?

I have a Dell laptop (Latitude 5420) with exactly this wireless adapter (AX201 160MHz) and it works just fine, both with AX and AC routers.

What 5GHz channel do you have set in Orbi? It can be that the wireless adapter does not support the selected channel, please try other channels in Orbi.

Message 16 of 34
CrimpOn
Guru

What sort of desktop PC comes with an intel WiFi-6 AX201 WiFi built in?

When I search for "intel WiFi-6 AX201", it is amazing how many hits turn up complaining about the firmware.

Perhaps it would be useful to expand the troubleshooting arena to include the PC manufacturer support?  Sometimes the solution will not be found where we first attempt to find it.

There are (literally) dozens of WiFi USB 3.0 adapters on Amazon.  (I personally like the Panda brand PAU09 with two antennas - Pandas are so cute.)  Since the RBR50 does not support 802.11ax, there would seem to be no urgent reason to find a USB model that does WiFi6 (although there are some).  There is also other brands of WiFi modules similar to the Intel at under $40.

Message 17 of 34
rkarjadi
Aspirant

The motherboard of the PC I just build is an MSI MAG Z690 Tomahawk WiFi DDR4 which has the Intel AX201 160 MHz adapter in it. I have also posted something in MSI's forums and seeing if I can get any help there as well. 

WiFi Setup - All are 5GHz
[WiFi #2 - ASUS Wireless Router TM-AC1900] -> [WiFi #1 - Orbi Router in AP Mode] -> [2 Orbi Satellites]

WiFi #2 is the main router while WiFi #1 is an Orbi router and satellites set up in Access Point mode to extend the WiFi to farther places within my house.
The normal speeds for both WiFis should be ~250 up and down, but I'm getting 15 up and 10 down or no internet at all (No Internet, Secured) on WiFi #1 on my new PC and the normal 250 up and down on WiFi #2.

So I'm getting way slower speeds on the Orbi WiFi than the WiFi from my main router/modem and only on this PC. All other devices, on both WiFis, get the normal 250 up and down while my PC only gets teh 250 up and down on the non-Orbi WiFi.

While purchasing a USB 3.0 WiFi adapter would most likely solve this issue, I'd rather not have to purchase one since WiFi is pre-built into my motherboard and would end up taking another USB port. I still have access to fast WiFi speeds, but just not on the preferred WiFi network.

Message 18 of 34
rkarjadi
Aspirant

Setting Channel Width for 5GHz to "20 MHz Only" seemed to improve the Orbi WiFi network speed to about 100 up and down, but the WiFi with the better speeds seem to have lost internet connection with my PC. Setting Preferred Band to Prefer 5GHz band gave an improvement to 30 up and down.

The 5GHz channels:

48 (Default): 15 up and 10 down.

44: 20 up and 25 down.

40: 140 up and 140 down

36: 140 up and 120 down

Message 19 of 34
ekhalil
Master

Please try switching off the wifi of the main router. It can be distorting Orbi wifi
Message 20 of 34
rkarjadi
Aspirant

If I turn off the main router, the Orbi router won't have WiFi either as it is in Access Point mode.

Message 21 of 34
FURRYe38
Guru

Disable the wifi radios on the main host router are fully disabled. 

Message 22 of 34
ekhalil
Master

Yes, you should be able to just disable wifi on the main router. Isn’t the a button to disable wifi? Otherwise somewhere in the settings.
Message 23 of 34
rkarjadi
Aspirant

I will attempt to turn off the WiFi later on tonight when there is no one else using it. Will update when I can. 

Message 24 of 34
rkarjadi
Aspirant

Was able to turn off the WiFi and waited to test the speeds again, but didn't seem to be any improvements.

Message 25 of 34
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 33 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7