Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi backhaul goes to wired when should be wifi

ermannobonifazi
Aspirant

Orbi backhaul goes to wired when should be wifi

My setup is one router + 2 satellite. On one of the satellite I have connected via wire a SKY Q Extender. If I connect the SKY Q when all the WI FI is up, an IP is assigned to the extender by my main DHCP via wire and all works. The issue is that is the ORBI network reboot for some case (power outage for example) that 1st satellite mark the backhaul connection type as wired and the 2nd satellite do not connect in a daisy chain model, just go to the main router (that is more far than the 1st satellite). In fact the connection-type on 1st satellite is market as wired (!). If I detach the SKY Q extender and wait a few than the network riconfigure itself in the right way and the 2ns satellite goes to daisy chain and the first show connection-type (backhaul) as Wifi (5G).

Bug?

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi backhaul goes to wired when should be wifi

The RBR is reading the status as wired as the RBS is wired to this extender which correct, however is a odd configuration in the first place. I would use the extender after the RBS and not in between the RBR and RBS. The Sky Q would be the variable. 

Message 2 of 10
ermannobonifazi
Aspirant

Is not the RBR that is read as wired but the RBS where the extender is connected to acquire the IP, like it would be any other IP device.

Message 3 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Thats because its connected wired so it would read as a wired connection...

Message 4 of 10
ermannobonifazi
Aspirant

Well is a wrong read. Is not wired to the RBR, just to another device that is the SKYQ Extender, no sense of reading the backhaul connection as wired. Just a bug.

Message 5 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Not a standard configuration if your using a extender with a RBS. Would not be a bug with Orbi. If an RBS is wired to an extender then it's communication is doing thru the wired, then to the extender. Orbi only reads status directly from the RBS or when the RBS is ethernet connected directly to the RBR or thru a switch. Even when the RBS is ehternet connecte, it will read as wired which is correct. Remove the extender between the RBR and RBS and you'll get correct status read from the RBS to the RBR. 

However your configuration is working for you then don't worry about the status. Just it for what it does. Just know that Orbi doesn't fully support your configuration. 

Good Luck. 

Message 6 of 10
ermannobonifazi
Aspirant

Maybe I'm not clear. Gain the extended is a SkyQ extender. It just extend the SkyQ 5G (different than my WiFi) and not my WiFi managed with the Orbi. I need to connect the Sky Q to the Orbi to be able to get an io address from my lan to reach the other Multivision via IP. Again if I attach the SkyQ AFTER the RBS is booted The backhoul remain on wifi and my other RBS will daisy chain and all works but if the RBS for any reason restart the backhaul is marked as wired and the other RBS do not daisy chain.
Message 7 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Have you swapped this one RBS around with the other RBS to see if the problem follows or remains? 

Message 8 of 10
ermannobonifazi
Aspirant

Yes, same behavior on the other RBS. (I mean the RBS where the SKYQ Extender is connect if rebooted will set the backhaul to wired). The only workaround for now, if happen (the reboot) is to go there, disconnect the SKYQ Extender for few minutes, waiti for the backhaul to go back to 5G and the daisychain to be reorganized and connect the extender again. Thanks god I do not have many power fault at home, but if I'm not around.. that's a complicate task for wife and kids 😄

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Have you swapped this one RBS around with the other RBS to see if the problem follows or remains? 

Message 9 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

So this only happens if this one devices is used in the mix? 

The RBS reports correctly if the SKY Q is not used? Just confirming here. 

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7