Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi hardwired satellite issues - can't see satellite; browser admin panel won't connect

jamesdecker24
Aspirant

Orbi hardwired satellite issues - can't see satellite; browser admin panel won't connect

Very large house footprint and really, really want to get by with only base station and satellite.  Living room (most used wifi - imainge a bunch of teenagers on their phones ignoring the world) and ATT Uverse router on opposite sides of the house.  Good news is new construction so Cat 6 just about everywhere - followed advice from posts here and on ATT website.  Setup below: 

Screen Shot 2018-08-18 at 11.12.56 AM.png

The setup is working, if I pull power on the satellite you lose wifi connectivity in the living room.  Three main issues:

1) Can't see the satellite in the Orbi app or the admin panel via wireless Mac

2) I can't access the Orbi admin panel via browser when connected to the satellite

3) Performance is mediocre anywhere except near the RBR50

Any ideas?  I'm struggling with the idea that I'll get better performance with the satellite connected wirelessly given the distances. Help appreciated!

(Note that the ATT router is connected to the 16 port switch via LAN came, broadband is connected properly

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi hardwired satellite issues - can't see satellite; browser admin panel won't connect

Modem Combo Units:
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, LAN to LAN and configure AP mode on the Orbi router.

What is the Mfr and model# of this ethernet switch?

Message 2 of 5
jamesdecker24
Aspirant

Re: Orbi hardwired satellite issues - can't see satellite; browser admin panel won't connect

Fixed (sort of) - thanks @FURRYe38

Option 1 apparently isn't an option, per AT&T

Option 3 is how I thought I had it set up, but I actually had it in the WAN port.  Discovered that too late. 😛

So I decided to go with #2, (followed directions here) but before hardwiring the satellite I decided to just hook it up completely wireless to at least baseline the performance.  It's working very well in the main areas (big improvement over my old setup).  New network looks like this: 

Screen Shot 2018-08-18 at 3.15.02 PM.png

I'm going to let this run for a bit to benchmark it (see if the teens complain) and then maybe take a shot at replacing the 8 port switch with the satellite and hardwiring it.  I can try one other location to test the wired backhaul performance (curious if anyone has benchmarked improvements).  Then maybe try it as a fully wired satellite to replace the 8 port switch. 

The 16 port is a Netgear GS116 unmanaged.  Trying to keep all the networking gear same manufacturer. 

Message 3 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, sounds good. Just making sure your switch isn't managed. Orbi doesn't like Managed switches for some reason. Hope the new configuration works better. 

Message 4 of 5
wabyrd
Tutor

You can do fake bridge mode.  You just put the ORBI in the Uverse router's DMZ.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7