× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
× Introducing the new Orbi 770 Series Mesh System. To learn more click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBS40v and RBR50 WiFi speed issues

JPBOLDY
Star

RBS40v and RBR50 WiFi speed issues

For sometime now I have seen bad WiFi speeds on my orbi system which main router is a RBR50 and a RBS40V satalite.

The satalite is roughly 12 metre's away from the RBR50 with only 1 ceiling obstruction, I have had the system for about 3 to 4 years and worked flawlessly up until about 7 months.

For some reason WiFi speed will drop for no reason at all, my service is 350 download and 35 upload and get most days 360 to 380 meg on WiFi and ethernet very impressive.

However WiFi can drop without warning and drop to around 50 to 60 meg at best the only temporary fix if reboot the entire system to get things working again.

On the RBS40v we got a impressive 340 to 350 meg over WiFi and Ethernet.

However even after a system reboot we are only seeing 40 to 150 meg from this satalite and it's been happening for over 7 months now.

I have done various WiFi tests with different devices from 2 Asus laptops and Huawei P30 Pro mobile phone and see poor speeds, however doing a ethernet test connected to the rbs40v shows speeds of 300 to 320.

So their is an issue WiFi wise and cannot source the problem, I have changed WiFi channels i.e 1, 6, 12, auto on 2.4ghz band also tried different bands on 5ghz.

I have checked WiFi analyser to see if certain bands are congested and moved accordingly, I've enabled and disabled a few features on the router to be better performance from website guides this did nothing and reverted them back to factory default.

Both the satalite and router are on the latest firmware and also tried the pin hole and reset both to factory settings and setup everything from scratch again.

This solves it but then after a few days or weeks the issue appears again.

Topology is

RBR50 is connected to a Virginmedia superhub 3 in modem mode.

In ethernet port 1 is my Xbox series x, in ethernet port 2 is a Netgear 8 port switch, in the 8 port switch is a energenie smart hub and a Virginmedia TiVo V6 box

The RBS40v is about 12 metre's away and in a open area not in a cabinet, in a ethernet port is 1 X Virginmedia TiVo V6 box, Xbox one s console, and a swann CCTV DVR system

Then their is a nighthawk EAX20 extender in my son's room to which connected via Lan on that is is Xbox one s and a JVC firetv this has a seperate SSID from my orbi system as only his TV and his gaming console has access to that extender.

Their is approx 20 to 25 WiFi devices in the home from Amazon echos and dotels to mobile phones and tablets.

When I conducted the WiFi testing they was only myself in the house tomrule out anyone else using the internet, no console was downloading anything, no devices was streaming, all TVs was on standby.

The only devices in use was my Huawei P30 Pro and my Asus 505fx laptop to conduct the WiFi tests and Lan tests.

The backhual says it's good to the rbs40v and location of the satalite hasn't changed and stayed in the same location for 3 to 4 years.

My only theory is it's a firmware update issue, I did go back 2 orn3 earlier revisions of firmware on both router and satalite and did a pin hole reset again worked for a while then issues appeared again.

I was going to downgrade firmware futher back on both but that would defeat the object of having the latest security updates and other issues that may have been fixed.

Any suggestions will be most welcome
Message 1 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBS40v and RBR50 WiFi speed issues

Is the RBS40v wirelessly connected to the RBR? 

Disable the EAX20 and see if this changes anything. Possible the RBS40v is connecting to the EAX20 or EAX20 is causing some interferences. 

Message 2 of 10
JPBOLDY
Star

No I don't think the rbs40v is connecting to the EAX20 as with it been a mesh system the rbs40v is connected to the rbr50 also in the rbr50 settings it's clearly shows the rbs40v is connected via backhual and connection is good.

I will try and turn off the EAX20 to see if this is causing interference
Message 3 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Most-Stable-Orbi-Configuration/m-p/1941087/highlight/true#M970...

Message 4 of 10
JPBOLDY
Star

Hi

2.4ghz is on 6
5ghz is on 36

Neighbouring networks are on 1 and 12
Message 5 of 10
JPBOLDY
Star

Also in that link of suggested things to enable and disable I've tried that and didn't change anything in some cases made issues worse.
Message 6 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok. Thanks for letting us know. 

What FW versions are loaded on the RBR50 and RBS40v? 

Message 7 of 10
JPBOLDY
Star

RBR50 is V2.7.2.104
RBS40V is V2.6.2.4_1.0.1

After the firmware was installed a while ago I also did a full reset on both satalite and router using the pin hole on both and setup the system from scratch.
Message 8 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Did you update the FW thru the Orbi app or manually using the web pages? 

Message 9 of 10
JPBOLDY
Star

Downloaded it's from website and updated it in the web GUI as in the past I've had failed updates, so always download the firmware's
Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series