Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Random Disconnects - RBR40

Santitomiluc
Tutor

Random Disconnects - RBR40

Basically my issue is that my WIFI connection will randomly drop for a few seconds at a time. It can happen anywhere from once an hour to multiple times an hour. I first noticed this happening while gaming. The entire game I would have perfect connection and then suddenly I would be disconnected from the game. For a long time I thought the issue was just with the game servers until I was playing while on FaceTime and at the same moment I was disconnected from my game there was a disconnect in the FaceTime call. The problem has gotten gradually worse over time and while I used to only be disconnected once every few games now I'm lucky to be able to complete a full game.

So that sums up my issue so now I'll go into detail about my setup and what I've tried to do to fix it with no success. I currently use an Orbi RBR40 with a Surfboard modem and two satellites so that my connection can reach my bedroom. I use a wired connection with one of the satellites for gaming. I have gone through dozens of articles and youtube videos detailing everything from changing my wifi channels to setting up port forwarding and nothing has worked. I've probably spent hours going through my router settings to make sure nothing wrong is happening and have found nothing. I have great speeds for gaming averaging about 700 mps for downloading and 25 mps for uploading so the issue is definitely not there. All of my Orbi devices are updated with the latest firmware. I've also contacted my ISP and the problem doesn't seem to be coming from their end. I am also in college out of town and while I am there I have no problems gaming with the same devices so the issue has to be coming from the wifi setup in my home.

If anyone can at least help me figure out what it is that is causing the problem I'd highly appreciate it. 

Message 1 of 8
plemans
Guru

Re: Random Disconnects - RBR40

what surfboard modem is it? 

Do you have a copy of your modem event log and a screen snip of its cable connections page? (shows upstream/downstream data)? 

Reason I ask is the isp's first response is always "its not our line". 

You said the gaming device is hardwired in so the issue is happening to hardwired and wireless devices?

Message 2 of 8
Santitomiluc
Tutor

what surfboard modem is it? 

The modem is an SB6190

Do you have a copy of your modem event log and a screen snip of its cable connections page? (shows upstream/downstream data)?

Reason I ask is the isp's first response is always "its not our line".  

I'm not sure where I can find those logs. I did check the logs on the Orbi if that's the same thing and I monitored them while gaming so that as soon as I got a disconnect I can refresh the logs and see if something showed up there but so far I haven't noticed any changes. I can check the logs and the cable connections page but I have no idea how to view that for the modem.

You said the gaming device is hardwired in so the issue is happening to hardwired and wireless devices?

So when I first started having the issue my gaming device was not hardwired and it kept happening even after I hardwired it. So yes it is definitely happening to both hardwired and wireless devices.

Please let me know if this helps or if you need any other information.

Message 3 of 8
plemans
Guru

to get the cable modem information, its usually at 192.168.100.1

then you'll log into it. You'd need to check your arris model on the default login info

Message 4 of 8
Santitomiluc
Tutor

Ok I was able to login to my modem and here are the screenshots. I notice that there are some errors and timeouts in the event logs so that is probably the issue I just don't know how to fix it.Screen Shot 2022-05-07 at 8.36.57 PM.pngScreen Shot 2022-05-07 at 8.37.08 PM.pngScreen Shot 2022-05-07 at 8.38.05 PM.png

Message 5 of 8
plemans
Guru

yeah the log is indicating line issues and the cable connection page is showing issues as well. 

Start with removing any amplifiers, signal attenuators, or splitters from the coax.
From there check the line for kinks, damage, moisture in the line.
Check the connectors for improperly made ends, foil touching the copper coax line, bad/old/cheap connectors, or corroded connections. Replace them if you do.
If you can, simply connect the modem right where the coax comes into the home. This prevents wiring in the home from being the issue. And some ISP’s charge if the wiring issue is in the home. So this helps prevent this.

Message 6 of 8
MarkRamos
Aspirant

Having the exact same issue here with rbr50 and FiOS. Every since around 5pm today it's been cutting in and out. About every 15 minutes connection drops completely for 2 minutes and then comes back. Very irritating. 

Message 7 of 8
plemans
Guru

@MarkRamos You might be having the same symptoms but it isn't for the same reason as Fios isn't the same as cable. Fios is a fibre connection.

Please start your own thread and we're happy to help.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7