Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Router show no internet communications,but satellite broadcast Internet just fine

tc1876
Tutor

Router show no internet communications,but satellite broadcast Internet just fine

Rbk22 router states no internet connection and can't get internet via any device, but satellite has internet connection and works just fine with all devices. Did a reset on the router, but no change. Ethernet connection from router works fine. How do I get wi-fi back on the router so i can use iPhone, etc. when near router?

Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Router show no internet communications,but satellite broadcast Internet just fine

Let us know how the new one does. Ya, seems like the router base is faulty.

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 10

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Router show no internet communications,but satellite broadcast Internet just fine

What FW is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the IP modem the Orbi is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?
Try disabling the following and see:
MIMO, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Message 2 of 10
tc1876
Tutor

Thanks for the quick reply.

Situation:  System has been running like a charm for past 6 months.  Shut Down Mac-mini on Friday night.  Saturday restarted Mac and noticed the Wi-fi was grayed out with “!” running in the middle.  Opened system preferences on Mac and it stated “self-assigned IP address 169.254.26.180 and will not be able to connect to the internet.” Router and Mac are upstairs and the satellite is downstairs.  No Wi-fi signal upstairs from router, but good wi-fi signal downstairs on satellite. Restarted Mac - same problem.  Restarted modem - same problem. Restarted router - same problem.  Since I had good wi-fi downstairs on the satellite and after 5 hrs. of frustration, I felt it must be a Mac problem.   Called Mac support, explained problem and after working with them, the tech thought the network card had gone bad.  Tech support made Genius Bar appointment for me on Sunday and after 3 hr drive to apple store, we discovered that all hardware on the Mac checked out great.  Mac was able to connect to in store wi-fi without a problem almost immediately.   

Returned home.  No computer plugged in and wi-fi downstairs on satellite working great.  Upstairs there was no wi-fi signal to be found from the router.  Reset the router and still no wi-fi from the router, but still good wi-fi signal downstairs on satellite. Remembered I still had a wi-fi extender from old router.  Placed extender upstairs near router and the extender found the router.  Extender started producing wi-fi.  Reinstalled the Mac, which couldn’t find router, but when assigned to the extender, it  found the extender and I’m connected to wi-fi thru the extender.  A temporary solution as any device I bring upstairs quits working on wi-fi until I assign it to the extender.

FW after reset is 2.1.4.10
Modem:  ARRIS SB6190
Home: 2,500 sq. ft.
Wi-fi neighbors: 1 with a 3 bar out of 4 signal  
Rest of questions unable to answer, as I’ve got enough computer knowledge to make me dangerous, but I have no idea where to look.

Message 3 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Does the Mac get an IP address if you connect it to the router using a LAN cable?

You should try a factory reset on the router and set it up from scratch. Walk thru the set up wizard with a PC thats wire connected to the router. Be sure your Mac wifi is turned OFF then back on and it's set up for Automatic Obtain IP addressing.

I would set up an IP address reservation ON the router for ALL of your devices, both wired and wireless. Under Advanced Tab/LAN Setup.

Message 4 of 10
tc1876
Tutor

Yes, the Mac gets an IP address and connects to the internet via the LAN cable from the router with no problem.

A factory reset was completed from scratch that made me setup the router and satellite.  Same situation occurs with no wi-fi broadcast from the router, but wi-fi broadcasts from the satellite.

Message 5 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

So if you turn OFF the satellite, you can't see any broadcast wifi or connect to the Orbi base by it self?

I would make contact with NG support about this. The base router may need to be replaced...

Message 6 of 10
tc1876
Tutor

Yes, so if I turn off the satellite, there is no broadcast wi-fi in the whole house nor can I connect to the Orbi base by itself.  Since I bought this at Costco, I'm going to return it there and get another. I agree with you that the base router seems to have malfunctioned.  Thanks again for your help and timely replies.

Message 7 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know how the new one does. Ya, seems like the router base is faulty.

Message 8 of 10
tc1876
Tutor

Picked up new Orbi router on Friday, installed, and has been working great.  Thanks again for your help.

Message 9 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7