Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Trouble keeping my GW security cameras connected to Orbi

Jimhoek
Aspirant

Trouble keeping my GW security cameras connected to Orbi

I could really use some help… I have spent the last three weeks on the phone with GW security and Orbi technical support. I have 16 camera home security system, through GW, the cameras are run through a switch, and then directly into the Orbi router, not a satellite. GW support gets the cameras connected, and they work perfectly for about a week, then suddenly all of the cameras drop out. I think I know what’s going on I just don’t know how to fix it… Every time I connect a new device to my Orbi mesh system is when I start losing cameras. I changed all of the cameras to. LAN in the Orby system, but if I add any type device, Alexa, or otherwise, the cameras quit working again. Any ideas on what is going on?
Message 1 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Trouble keeping my GW security cameras connected to Orbi

If all of these cameras are 'wired', i.e. connected using Ethernet cable to the switch, it would be a good idea to assign an IP address to each camera.  This is done in the Orbi web interface, Advanced Tab, Setup Menu, LAN Setup page.

Create an entry in the Address Reservation table for each camera using the MAC address of the camera.

The usual practice is to reserve IP addresses that are not included in the DHCP "pool".  For example, set aside IPs 192.168.1.2 through 192.168.1.100 for reserved IPs and set the DHCP "pool" to start at 192.168.1.101.

Message 2 of 5
Jimhoek
Aspirant

Thank you… After doing some research last night it appears that my problem is on the NVR not Orbi. All of my cameras are set up individually when checking the Orbi system. All of them are set individually, and all set as “wired. LAN” I guess it’s time to go back to GW and figure out what’s going on on their end. Thanks again!
Message 3 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

It might be worth asking GW how their NVR discovers cameras on the network.

Some systems send out a broadcast on a particular network port, "Any cameras out there?" and listen to see which devices respond.  Other systems may create an internal table of IP addresses, and if the cameras change IP addresses they get "lost".

Any time the router gets rebooted, or any time the entire network restarts because of a power outage, every device may need to refresh the network connection.  Unless the router has reserved a specific IP address for devices such events could cause devices to change IP addresses.  There are posts on the forum quite frequently about printers disappearing which happens when computers have learned, "the printer is at IP xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx" and one day it is no longer there.

Good Luck with GW.

Message 4 of 5
Jimhoek
Aspirant

You’re the best… That’s exactly what was happening. I had gone into Orbi and set up all of my cameras as.LAN wired connections, but I forgot to do that with the NVR. I just went in and set that one in Orbi so keeping my fingers crossed that I retain connections on everything. Thanks again again for all of your help.
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7