Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Unable to access orbi via browser or app

nadnoteri55
Aspirant

Unable to access orbi via browser or app

When I try to access the orbilogin, it says "Looks like you’re not connected to your Orbi’s WiFi network."  When I try to access it via the orbi app, it says its unable to detect the orbi.  I'm on the the network and the internet works fine.  I did a IP lookup and and can't seem to find the device either.  Weirdest thing.

Any thoughts on what would be the issue?  Wonder if the system is just going bad.  Have had it for 3+ years.

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 18
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Unable to access orbi via browser or app

@nadnoteri55 wrote:

When I try to access the orbilogin, it says "Looks like you’re not connected to your Orbi’s WiFi network."  When I try to access it via the orbi app, it says its unable to detect the orbi.  I'm on the the network and the internet works fine.  I did a IP lookup and and can't seem to find the device either.  Weirdest thing.

Most of the time when people get error messages such as this, the reason is that they are not actually connected to the Orbi WiFi network.  If the Orbi is connected to an ISP modem/router/WiFi device, then devices connected to the ISP WiFi cannot "see" the Orbi.

The first questions we usually ask are:

• Exactly what ISP device is the Orbi connected to? (brand/model)
  • Is the ISP device a "router"?
  • Is the ISP device broadcasting WiFi?
  • What device is being used to search for the Orbi?
    Computer Wired to the Orbi?
    Laptop, smartphone, or tablet connected with WiFi?
  • What does this device report as its:
    IP address
    Subnet Mask
    Gateway
    DNS server

Message 2 of 18
Mstrbig
Master

Did this issue just start? If so have you changed anything, or updated firmware, etc.? Are you conneted to the WIFI of your Orbi?

Message 3 of 18
nadnoteri55
Aspirant

About a week ago.  No changes or tweaks to anything.  I've restarted it a few times to try and get it to show up "detect" , but it will start for a little bit then stop seeing it.  Past couple times trying to do that has resulted in it not being found at all.

No issues with internet access or quality though.  That is why this is so weird.  And yes, I'm on the wifi network of the Orbi.

Message 4 of 18
Mstrbig
Master

What happens when you try to sign on the GUI, using the IP address of your Orbi router and/or Satellites?

Sometimes when this happens and you have tried many tests, you have to factory reset and re-configure.

I'm not saying it's your only choice, but I find it's so much faster than getting frustrated. 

Message 5 of 18
CrimpOn
Guru

@nadnoteri55 wrote:

I did a IP lookup and and can't seem to find the device either.  Weirdest thing.

Can you explain how yoy "did an IP lookup"?  One of the things I find oddly eccentric is that router manufacturers decided it would be more "user friendly" to instruct users to connect to a web site by name, rather than by IP address.  The internet DNS system, of course, cannot resolve names like "router.asus.com" or "orbilogin.net".  What happens is that the WiFi router intercepts those DNS queries and responds with the IP address of the router itself.  So, if one user browses to http://orbilogin.net, he may be directed to 192.168.1.1.  Another may be directed to 10.0.0.1  They are always on the LAN side of the WiFi router and are directed to the LAN IP address of the router.

A Windows command such as nslookup, for example, uses DNS resolution to find the IP address.

Message 6 of 18
nadnoteri55
Aspirant

interesting.  So the router IP is that of the modem.  i.e. it takes me to my modem's GUI.  However the modem also says that the wifi is disabled, so obviously the ORBI has to be be broadcasting, again connected to the SSID for the ORBI.

When I do put in the default:  192.168.1.1 Nothing happens.

I haven't done a factory reset yet.  I'm just trying to see if there is a possible fix or if this thing is dying on me and I need to consider getting a new router.

Message 7 of 18
nadnoteri55
Aspirant

To look up the IP I found it in network settings on my mac.  I also use a tool called lanscan to search everything on the network.  the ORBI did not show up as a device on the network.

Message 8 of 18
CrimpOn
Guru

@nadnoteri55 wrote:

interesting.  So the router IP is that of the modem.  i.e. it takes me to my modem's GUI.  However the modem also says that the wifi is disabled, so obviously the ORBI has to be be broadcasting, again connected to the SSID for the ORBI.

Since "private" IP addresses are essentially anonymous, would you mind sharing the IP addres of the Mac and the gateway?

Since the ISP modem has a GUI, does it also have a menu option to display the MAC address and IP of every device connected to it?

Message 9 of 18
nadnoteri55
Aspirant

@CrimpOn wrote:

@nadnoteri55 wrote:

Since "private" IP addresses are essentially anonymous, would you mind sharing the IP addres of the Mac and the gateway?

Since the ISP modem has a GUI, does it also have a menu option to display the MAC address and IP of every device connected to it?

Mac is: 192.168.1.184

Gateway is: 192.168.1.254

Yes, the modem GUI shows the 50+ connected devices.  And yes, I can pull IP/MAC on all the devices on the network.

Message 10 of 18
CrimpOn
Guru

Well, darn. None of those devices is the Orbi?
Message 11 of 18
nadnoteri55
Aspirant

@CrimpOn wrote:
Well, darn. None of those devices is the Orbi?

Nope. None of them.  Crazy right?

Message 12 of 18
CrimpOn
Guru

@nadnoteri55 wrote:

As I recall, the Orbi ethernet MAC address is printed on the product label.  If no device has that MAC address, I agree with @Mstrbig that it may be time to either (a) live with this, or (b) do a "Factory Reset" and configure the Orbi again.  With 50 devices, this would be a really hard decision for me since I have assigned IP addresses and customized names for all of my devices.

Message 13 of 18
nadnoteri55
Aspirant

@CrimpOn wrote:

@nadnoteri55 wrote:

As I recall, the Orbi ethernet MAC address is printed on the product label.  If no device has that MAC address, I agree with @Mstrbig that it may be time to either (a) live with this, or (b) do a "Factory Reset" and configure the Orbi again.  With 50 devices, this would be a really hard decision for me since I have assigned IP addresses and customized names for all of my devices.

Did a factory reset.  Did not fix the issue.  Ordered a new router through ASUS.  So long ORBI.

Thanks all for helping try to diagnose.

Message 14 of 18
Mstrbig
Master

@CrimpOn wrote:

@nadnoteri55 wrote:

One of my favorite features, of the Orbi, is the ability to backup settings. I have factory reset a few Orbi systems, performed initial setup and restored settings. I do a backup every time I change or add to my system, and when it's time for a firmware update or downgrade.

Message 15 of 18
Mstrbig
Master

@nadnoteri55 wrote:

I haven't done a factory reset yet.  I'm just trying to see if there is a possible fix or if this thing is dying on me and I need to consider getting a new router.

Just because WIFI is disabled on your modem, it does not mean DHCP is disabled on your modem. So if your modem is distributing IP addresses, then your Orbi is most likely in Bridge mode. And your Orbi will still prove WIFI if it is turned on, but the IP addresses are coming from your Modem. 

You should be able to login to the Orbi via the exact specified IP address give to the Orbi by your Modem. My ISP modem distributes 1 IP address to my Orbi. My Orbi is the main DHCP server, distributing IP addresses to my Satellites and other devices. My Orbi IP addresses are main 192.168.1.1, satellite 192.168.1.16, satellite 192.168.1.17. I can log into each one separately, as well as log into other devices that have GUI interfaces.

Message 16 of 18
nadnoteri55
Aspirant

@Mstrbig wrote:

@nadnoteri55 wrote:

Just because WIFI is disabled on your modem, it does not mean DHCP is disabled on your modem. So if your modem is distributing IP addresses, then your Orbi is most likely in Bridge mode. And your Orbi will still prove WIFI if it is turned on, but the IP addresses are coming from your Modem. 

You should be able to login to the Orbi via the exact specified IP address give to the Orbi by your Modem. My ISP modem distributes 1 IP address to my Orbi. My Orbi is the main DHCP server, distributing IP addresses to my Satellites and other devices. My Orbi IP addresses are main 192.168.1.1, satellite 192.168.1.16, satellite 192.168.1.17. I can log into each one separately, as well as log into other devices that have GUI interfaces.

The issue is that it's worked for two years in the exact same configuration with no problems.  I've tried accessing the IP and I cannot access it.  

Message 17 of 18
Mstrbig
Master

I suggest reading how to disable DHCP on your ISP modem and only have it distribute 1 IP address, (usually 192.168.1.1), to your Orbi. After setting up your ISP modem, factory reset the Orbi and perform a new setup, following the App's instructions. Your Orbi should connect to the ISP modem and configure itself as a DHCP Router, which will then allow you to manage everything from the App and the Web GUI.

Message 18 of 18
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7