Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Using Orbi RBK20W with AT&T BGW210

CI34
Aspirant

Using Orbi RBK20W with AT&T BGW210

I just purchased the Orbi RBK20W for my home.  I currently have AT&T internet but the speed and signal in my house stinks.  I have the BGW210 modem/router.  I originally was going to buy a Netgear mesh extender but the guy at Best Buy told me the Orbi system would work better.  Here is my question.  I have seen posts about disabling wifi on the router.  I can figure that out.  But what I do not want to do is change the network name and password for the dozens of devices that are currently connected to the wifi in my home.  If I use the BGW210 just as a modem and use the Orbi as my router...does that mean that I will have to manually reconnect all my devices to a new wifi network/password in my home?  Let me also say I'm not tech savvy.  I'm in my 50's so didn't grow up with this stuff like younger folks.  So, if returning the Orbi and getting a Netgear mesh extender is not quite as optimal, but technologically easier....I would probably prefer to do that.  Would appreciate any guidance the community can offer me.  Thanks.  

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 4
tomschmidt
Virtuoso

Re: Using Orbi RBK20W with AT&T BGW210

@CI34, once you disable the WiFi on your old router, also set it up to passthrough to your Orbi.  On the Orbi, set the SSID and its password and security settings like you had on your old router, then all of your devices will reconnect to the Orbi using your SSID.

Example: Old router had SSID "MyWiFi" and SSID password "1234" with WPA2-PSK security.

Once you disable the WiFi on the old router, set the SSID on the Orbi to "MyWiFi" and password to "1234" with WPA2-PSK security.  Now your WiFi clients will find the new WiFi network being supplied by the Orbi.

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 2 of 4
CI34
Aspirant

Thanks so much Tom

Message 3 of 4
CI34
Aspirant

Need some more help.  During setup, I changed the network SSID to my old network name and SSID password to my old password.  But somehow the Orbi app keeps trying to connect to the original Orbi14 SSID that it came out of the box with.  And when I disabled the wifi on my BGW210, we could not reach any websites.  Any suggestions?  Is there a way to change the Orbi SSID and SSID password back to what it came out of the box with temporarily?  I fear I may have changed the name & password too early in the setup process.  Thanks.  

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7