Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

How can I turn off auto updates on an Orbi RBR750?

clovehitch
Aspirant

How can I turn off auto updates on an Orbi RBR750?

I'm having random router reboots of my Orbi RBR750 that I suspect is related to auto firmware updates.  Does the router do auto firmware updates?  Any ideas how to turn off auto firmware updates?

Message 1 of 15

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: How can I turn off auto updates on an Orbi RBR750?

I would review this:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WiFi-6-AX-and-WiFi-6E-AXE/New-RBR750-RBS750-Firmware-Version-v...

Current released FW has known problems for lots of users. This pre-release seems to have helped get better results.

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 15

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Something Orbi doesn't support. 

Message 2 of 15
CrimpOn
Guru

@clovehitch wrote:

I'm having random router reboots of my Orbi RBR750 that I suspect is related to auto firmware updates.  Does the router do auto firmware updates?  Any ideas how to turn off auto firmware updates?

Could you please provide more detail.  Orbi routers check for firmware update at regular intervals (multiple times per day for some models).  Have you observed that the firmware version actually changes when there is a random reboot. Or, do you suspect that the process of looking for firmware updates itself is causing the router to reboot?  If that were the case, then every Orbi router would be rebooting multiple times per day.

Message 3 of 15
clovehitch
Aspirant

I have an RBS750 and 3 RBK750 satellites. I know it is not updating firmware because the version is current. However, the router reboots randomly, as often as once a day. Sometimes while I’m working and sometimes in the evening. There is no pattern. Sometimes I go weeks without an interruption, sometimes I am interrupted daily.

The log file just indicates a restart from what I can tell.

Hope this helps.
Message 4 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite 📡

Message 5 of 15
CrimpOn
Guru

@clovehitch wrote:
The log file just indicates a restart from what I can tell.
Hope this helps.

Well, it helps indicate (to me) that firmware update is not the cause of the spontaneous reboots.  There are other posts in the forum describing issues with the 750 product. (I do not own one, and thus have not watched those posts closely, but I have an impression that there might be a test version of firmware that is being tried by some users. Perhaps that might be a more useful direction than trying to block firmware updates.)

Message 6 of 15
clovehitch
Aspirant

- Firmware version: V4.6.5.14_2.0.54

- I have Verzion FIOS 1000↓/1000↑ service with their modem/ONT but I do not have access to the device to get the model # 

- Building is 80' long and narrow.  Router is located 1//3 distance from one end on main floor

- Distance between routers and satellites are at least 30'

- One router is in the basement

- One router is upstairs

- One router is at other end of house connected via ethernet cable because it is too far from the router or other satellites to get a decent signal

- 42 devices connected

It is possible that the firmware update checks are not th eproblem, but I am at my wits end as to what it might be.

Message 7 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

I would review this:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WiFi-6-AX-and-WiFi-6E-AXE/New-RBR750-RBS750-Firmware-Version-v...

Current released FW has known problems for lots of users. This pre-release seems to have helped get better results.

Message 8 of 15
clovehitch
Aspirant

Many thanks for the link!  I have upgraded my FW to that version.  Fingers crossed it will address the random reboot issue and not introduce others I care about 😉

Message 9 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

👍

Message 10 of 15
clovehitch
Aspirant

My Orbi is now sending me logs. This is from last night. Note the date time stamps. First one is Sat morning. Next 2 are in the past. The last one is correct again. Is the Orbi rebooting?

[Time synchronized with NTP server] Saturday, Feb 05,2022 10:03:16
[Internet connected] IP address: 96.227.94.181, Tuesday, Dec 07,2021 02:45:41
[Initialized, firmware version: V4.6.7.5_2.1.7] Tuesday, Dec 07,2021 02:45:37
[DHCP IP: (192.168.xx.xx)] to MAC address 24:F5:A2:xx:xx:xx, Saturday, Feb 05,2022 10:03:54
Message 11 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Is NTP configured correctly and time zone set? 

I would  clear the router logs then take a look again in a few days or if you notice something. 

Have you noticed  anything since the  FW update? 

Message 12 of 15
clovehitch
Aspirant

- NTP was configured as default to Netgear NTP server.  I've switched to NIST-a.

- TZ was set correctly

- I had not encountered any other issues

- Will clear logs and review periodically

Message 13 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System

Message 14 of 15
clovehitch
Aspirant

👍🏻

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7