Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi AX6000 RBK852 Slow Wireless performance

slane01
Tutor

Orbi AX6000 RBK852 Slow Wireless performance

I just picked up an Orbi RBK852 AX6000 Mesh system with 1 satellite to replace my 2 year old Linksys WRT3200.

Our home recently connected to a brand new Spectrum/Charter Fiber buildout.  Our service is a 1gig up/down fiber plan.

My old Linksys router would only hit speeds of 200-300 mbps in my house.  After reading multiple reviews it really seemed the Orbi was the logical upgrade.

The Orbi firmware was 3.6 something out of the box.  After the system was configured, the Orbi App speed Test would hit 900mbps plus, but the Ookala speed test app would only hit 200-300, same as my old linksys.

I upgraded firmware, first with using the online firmware upgrade tool.  It did upgrade the router, but failed on the Satellite.  I then downloaded the firmware updates manually, performed an Erase function on the Orbi thru the Administrative function on the router.

Once it was erased, the router and satellite were both unplugged and power cycled.  After the power cycle, the firmware was installed on the Satellite, then installed on the router.  Upon completion, the Satellite, Router and Modem were all power cycled again.

Once everything came back online, the speed was checked again with both the Orbi App which measured 900mbps+ and thru the Speedtest app which once again was 200-300mbps.

I live in a rural area with not many houses or wireless devices around me.  However, I did change channels on the 2.4ghz and tried channels 1, 6, and 11 with no change is speeds.  In addition, I tried changing the 5ghz channels to 36, 40 and 48 with no real change in wifi speeds

I am currently running on channels 11 & 48.

It should be noted that the main level of my home where wifi is a focus is 2300 sqft.  The router and satellite is spaced about 40 ft apart.  My speedtest app measurements don't change much from room to room, they typically measure between 200-300 with 250 probably being on par.

So far other than having a little better wifi coverage in my house, this $700 Mesh system doesnt seem to have done much for wifi performance.

I did place a call with Netgear, the tech looked at several setting and then indicated this needs to be elevated to 2nd level support.

Does anyone have any suggestions of what to try in efforts to get better wifi performance?  Are there a recommended set of Advanced Functions to change/enable/disable?

As of right now, my first impressions are not that great for the price.  

Message 1 of 11
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Orbi AX6000 RBK852 Slow Wireless performance

The Orbi app reports the results of a version of Ookla SpeedTest that Netgear has included in the router firmware.  As the router is connected directly to the ISP device, this is the "best speed possible."

What device was being used to run SpeedTest for the tests with the Linksys and Orbi?

• A computer connected to the router with an ethernet cable?
  • Some device connected to the router over WiFi?
    If so, what does the Orbi app Device Manager say about the 'Link Rate' of the device?
    Many devices have a Network Settings feature that will report the 'Link Rate'. (My Android phone, for example, reports separate Link Rates for Transmit and Receive).
Message 2 of 11
slane01
Tutor

I have used multiple devices for speed tests.  - 3 different android phones, a Dell laptop and an HP laptop.  I did not connect anything hardwired to the router as I don't have an external ethernet port on my PC's   May need to look at an USB to Ethernet adapter.

I have checked speeds with Ookala app and on the speedtest.net website.  All are pretty comparable across multiple devices.

I have not ever looked or checked into Link rate.  I guess I need to check into that too.  Is the link rate the connection rate between the wireless device & router, by itself?

Thanks

Steve

Message 3 of 11
CrimpOn
Guru

Is the link rate the connection rate between the wireless device & router, by itself?

Yes, the Link Rate is for the specific WiFi connection between device and whatever it is connected to. (router or satellite).

For example, as I sit here my Android phone is reporting that I am

• Connected at 5G
  • Transmit Link Rate is 351Mbps
  • Receive Link Rate is 585Mbps
  • oops... now they changed to 526 and 650.

At any one instant it is categorically impossible for SpeedTest to measure more than the actual Link Rate.

(There is not much use reporting SpeedTest because my Spectrum link is a measly 200Mbps.)

Message 4 of 11
slane01
Tutor

Gotcha,

My link rate on my phone to my wifi connection is 866, while my speed tests are coming back at 250-270.

I would think the actually speed test would be at least 50-60% of link rate.

This just doesn't seem right.
Message 5 of 11
CrimpOn
Guru

I agree. This does not seem right.  WiFi performance drops off the farther away the device is from the access point, but if the link rate is reported as 866Mbps and the ISP connection is 1Gbps, SpeedTest should be higher than 270Mbps.

Message 6 of 11
plemans
Guru

You didn't put what device you were testing on. 

When you test on the orbi app, it hosts the test on the router. 

when you test with the speedtest app, it hosts the test on your wireless device. 

And usually the bottleneck in testing isn't the router, but the wireless device you're testing on. 

Message 7 of 11
CrimpOn
Guru

I believe post #2 mentioned 3 Android phones, Dell laptop, HP laptop.

Post #5 mentioned a Link Rate of 866Mbps.

I'm stumped.

Message 8 of 11
slane01
Tutor

I have tested this on 3 different Android phones, 2 laptops - Dell & HP and now one Fire Tablet.  Link speed runs 800+ on all devices expect 1 laptop where its running 500ish.

Speed Test Speeds from app/device are running 250-270ish consistently across multiple test servers.

I also just changed the CTS/RTS Threshold for both 2.4 & 5g from the default of 64 to 2347.

I will state that one the initial firmware upgrade was done thru the online update, the update didnt take and was unsuccessful on the Satellite.  After a power cycle it did show updated, but it wasnt the same version as the Router.

After that I downloaded the manual update files from Netgear.  I performed an Erase thru the Router Login page.  When the erase was complete, the firmware did not revert back to the original factory installed firmware.

However, I did manually update firmware on the Satellite first, then re-installed the firmware on the router & power cycled everything again.

I think I should have done a hard reset on both the Router and the Satellite.  I may try doing that tomorrow.

Lastly, when the Router package was received (shipped from Amazon), the actual Netgear box was beat to hell.  It was pacakged inside a much larger Amazon box with no packing materials in it.

The router contents appeared undamaged and new, but the actual box looked very well used.

One concern was that was there any possible damage done due to bouncing around during shipping.

I am kinda at a loss.  I am gonna wait for Netgear 2nd level support to call back to see if they have any idea.  If that comes up blank, then I'll likely return this unit and possibly try another Orbi or look a different route.

The last new Netgear router I bought was a Nitehawk about 4 years ago.  It lasted 13 months and died.  Really hoping the Orbi isnt in that same category.

Message 9 of 11
plemans
Guru

@CrimpOn (not trying to be an a**) the OP did say multiple android phones. I also have probably a dozen android phones sitting around in boxes. they all perform different. Some are cheap junk while others are blazing fast. Android phones isn't very specific. Same with the Laptop statement. Details are key. Reason I say that is the WRT3200 is a pretty high performing router. I've actually tested one before and it can hit 400+ speeds over 5ghz. Its a pretty rock solid device. it even supports 160hz wide channels. (not really that beneficial in 160hz wide with that device. 

And the OP is stating they're connecting at 866mbps link speed which is an AC spec and not AX. So their devices aren't AX (from what I've read so far). So if it wasn't maxing out the capabilities of the old router, upgrading to a newer/faster router isn't necessarily going to make them faster if the router wasn't the bottleneck.

I'm not saying its the devices, but if they already weren't performing at peak speeds on a solid router, then I'm second guessing how much they'll improve. Its why I'm curious about what actual device with specifics it is. 

Plus I think there's a little confusion on speed expectations for the OP. The 2.4ghz band isn't going to hit 200mbps. Its a slow band and sensitive to interference. I'd worry more about the 5ghz. 

For the op. Have you tested speeds with the satellites turned off? Test the speed directly off the router for both 2.4ghz and 5ghz. 

Also, when you turn the satellites back on, test each one with your laptop hardwired into the satellite (not over wireless) to see how it performs. Without being there its tough to know if your devices are connected to the router or the satellites. Maybe the satellite has a poor backhaul and your some of the devices are connected to it. or maybe one satellites is super sketchy and causing issues. 

Message 10 of 11
slane01
Tutor

I appreciate the feedback. Of the devices I used for tests, there was only one AX device. All others were wifi 5.

Unfortunately at the time, I couldn't connect my AX device (HP Laptop) directly to either satellite or router as It didn't have an Ethernet port.

I did however pickup USB C to ethernet adapter on Sunday.

The router seemed good, the Satellite was not.

The Satellite also had difficulties updating firmware.

This system was purchased new from Amazon, but arrived looking used and not in factory shrink wrap and in a beat up box.

Needless to say, I opted to use the Amazon 30 day return policy and send it back since it really appears as got someone else's return.

I did order another system direct from Netgear which will be here Wednesday.

I ended up getting the RBK853 vs 852 to get an extra Satellite. In addition, Netgear had 10% off, plus free upgrade to pro support & 2 year warranty, along with free 2 day shipping.

Definitely a much better deal than Amazon. Really only cost $200 or so more for the additional satellite, warranty & support.

Looking forward to getting a new Orbi up and running.

The actual broadcast signal range is outstanding.
Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7