Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi CBR40 use as router/ mesh system only (revived)

Beratna
Aspirant

Orbi CBR40 use as router/ mesh system only (revived)

Sorry for being a little dense and that this is a repeat/resurrection of the same post as here https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-with-Built-in-Cable-Modem/bd-p/en-home-orbi-cable, but frankly I didn't understand the solution and have done several searches looking for a relatively simple set of steps to follow to turn the CBR40 into a router (essentially bypass the modem function).

Similar to the other post, xfinity says the CBR40 doesn't support the speeds as which my service now runs, and I've noticed the internet dropping out occaisionally during the work day, usually at very inopportune moments.  I'm hoping to just get a new modem and reuse/repurpose my CBR40 instead of a whole new system ...  Thanks!

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi CBR40 use as router/ mesh system only (revived)

@Beratna wrote:

ok, so to help me better understand your recommendation:

1. set a a new IP address from 192.168.0.1 to a new IP address ...  192.168.0.40 on the CBR - this is in the admin page for the ORBI? Yes. Just make sure the IP address string is same as what the host router is using. The 1st 3 sets of numbers have to match a what the host router is using.
  2. Disabled the DHCP server on the CBR - also in the Orbi admin page. Yes.
  3. and applied the change -- just means reboot the Orbi. The CBR will reboot itself. While the CBR reboots, connect it to the host router here.
  4. My main host routers IP address pool is 192.168.0.100 to .150 - this is the default setting of the modem? This is good. No
  5. And then I'm just connecting an ethernet cable from the cable modem to one of the ethernet portals on the Orbi.  Everything else (besides updating the Orbi's IP address) will basically happen automatically?  Correct There's not DHCP or other setting that needs or should be disabled, adjusted, or reset? No.

I've already scoped out an Arris s33 modem I can pick up today at the local Best Buy.  And tbh I may still just say f*** it and get the AX3000 system 3 pack, too. But thank you for your time and quick responses.  Have a great holiday!

Merry Christmas

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 6

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Your link is malformed and not working. I think the period is messing it up. The link goes to the root of this forum here.

Answer, no the CBR can not work at a router only. Works in full modem/gateway router mode or modem mode only. 

You can configured it for a faux wireless AP mode for use with just the wifi system. 

Message 2 of 6
Beratna
Aspirant

Thank you for answering, and sorry, trying link again, but it has nearly exact same title https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-with-Built-in-Cable-Modem/Orbi-CBR40-use-as-router-mesh-system...

But anyway, as a faux AP system, does that mean I'd still have to have another wireless router connected to the modem, with the CBR40 acting as an AP repeating off of that new wireless router?  Also sorry for some simplistic questions - ordinarily I'd spend a bit of time to learn a lot more detail on my own to speak with some semblance of understanding.  But my own internet load has been creeping up since getting the CBR40, and while I've been able to live with some of the slowness and other connectivity issues, I'm expecting company over the next week (of course) and expect the internet load to be quite a bit more so would like to have this figured out before then.  I'd prefer to keep to an Orbi system, but may have they gotten expensive ... 

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

There we go. 

Ya that link is to a AP mode configuration that you can do on the CBR. Once you do this configuration, you'll not connect the CBR to any ISP Coax line, Just connect one of the CBRs LAN ports to a host router and then the CBR will pass thru internet traffic from the host router thru it's wireless radios in the AP mode configuration. 

Just be aware that the front LEDs will continually blink and the top ring LED will always be on PINK. Since the CBR doesn't actually support AP mode, I call it a faux AP mode as this configuration works mostly as a work around. I've tired my self and it works. 

Message 4 of 6
Beratna
Aspirant

1. set a a new IP address from 192.168.0.1 to a new IP address ...  192.168.0.40 on the CBR - this is in the admin page for the ORBI?
  2. Disabled the DHCP server on the CBR - also in the Orbi admin page
  3. and applied the change -- just means reboot the Orbi
  4. My main host routers IP address pool is 192.168.0.100 to .150 - this is the default setting of the modem? 
  5. And then I'm just connecting an ethernet cable from the cable modem to one of the ethernet portals on the Orbi.  Everything else (besides updating the Orbi's IP address) will basically happen automatically?  There's not DHCP or other setting that needs or should be disabled, adjusted, or reset?

I've already scoped out an Arris s33 modem I can pick up today at the local Best Buy.  And tbh I may still just say f*** it and get the AX3000 system 3 pack, too. But thank you for your time and quick responses.  Have a great holiday!

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

@Beratna wrote:

1. set a a new IP address from 192.168.0.1 to a new IP address ...  192.168.0.40 on the CBR - this is in the admin page for the ORBI? Yes. Just make sure the IP address string is same as what the host router is using. The 1st 3 sets of numbers have to match a what the host router is using.
  2. Disabled the DHCP server on the CBR - also in the Orbi admin page. Yes.
  3. and applied the change -- just means reboot the Orbi. The CBR will reboot itself. While the CBR reboots, connect it to the host router here.
  4. My main host routers IP address pool is 192.168.0.100 to .150 - this is the default setting of the modem? This is good. No
  5. And then I'm just connecting an ethernet cable from the cable modem to one of the ethernet portals on the Orbi.  Everything else (besides updating the Orbi's IP address) will basically happen automatically?  Correct There's not DHCP or other setting that needs or should be disabled, adjusted, or reset? No.

Merry Christmas

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7