Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Use as router only

Rudy69
Tutor

Use as router only

I have a CBR750 modem router and had cable, but recently switched to fiber. Can I use this as router only?
Message 1 of 7
plemans
Guru

Re: Use as router only

Not as far as I'm aware. 

some of the older modem/router combo devices could be put in a sort of "access point" mode. 

I don't have one to test it on but the CAX series hasn't been able to follow the same procedure. They end up in a boot loop. 

I know @FURRYe38 had/has one and might be able to tell you if it ends up in the same boot loop. 

Message 2 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

You can only use the CBR750 as a gateway modem/router or as wired AP device, not a router. To do this you would need to disable the DHCP service on the CBR750, set the CBR750 IP address to something different or to what you use on a host router system. Diable any Armor features. Then connect the CBR750 to the host router using one of the LAN ports in back. 

@Rudy69 wrote:
I have a CBR750 modem router and had cable, but recently switched to fiber. Can I use this as router only?

Message 3 of 7
jtw1979
Aspirant

So I am moving to a place that offers free internet via Ethernet in the rooms. Can you confirm and explain how I might use my CBR750 as a wireless AP so I can have all my wireless devices connect through that and create a home network? Thank you!

Message 4 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru
jtw1979
Aspirant

I literally just disable DHCP and assign it an IP address? (I don’t use Armor.)
Do I put it in Bridge mode?
Message 6 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Correct, give the CBR a IP address thats with in the domain of your host router. And usually outside of the default DCHP IP address pool. I would use 192.168.#.75. Disable DHCP server on the CBR, apply the change and let the CBR reboot. Connect the CBR to the host router using one of the LAN ports in back. 

Only think to know is that the front LED on the down will always blink. I suggest using a postit note over the LEDs to hid them. 

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7