Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Armor vs BitDefender box2

AR247
Follower

Armor vs BitDefender box2

First - when will Amor be available for Orbi (in the Jan 2018 press release it was promised before the Nighthawks) ?

Second, what is the difference in feature set between Armor and the Bitdefender Box2?

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 1 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Armor vs BitDefender box2

Message 2 of 13
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello @AR247

As stated in the press release:

"To be first introduced on the Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi router (R7000P) later this quarter, NETGEAR Armor will be made available for the Orbi Whole Home WiFi system and the popular Nighthawk performance routers later in the year via firmware updates."

You may find more information on NETGEAR Armor in the link below: 

https://www.netgear.com/landings/armor/

~Christian 

Message 3 of 13
Clevelandius
Tutor

The difference is the Box 2 exists. Much better security than the non-existent Armor for Orbi.
Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 4 of 13
loomis1975
Luminary

Bitdefender box 2 makes you put your wireless router into access point mode (bridged).  Goodbye advanced router features.

Message 5 of 13
Clevelandius
Tutor

At this point I no longer believe this product is actually going to be released so I'm going to live with the reduced functionality. It seems like a good trade-off for me, reduced functionality and a security product that exists, vs waiting for something that will never be released.
Message 6 of 13
Clevelandius
Tutor

In another post a Netgear mod stated that Armor is only supported  on Nighthawk routers so it looks like Armor will  not be  released  for Orbi after all. Glad I went with the  Box 2 for security. 

Message 7 of 13
Einrich
Star

Armor works like a charm on ORBI RBK50 (March 2019). Still interested in an ARMOR vs Box 2 comparison from someone.

Message 8 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Reminder to post here in the Armor forums:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/NETGEAR-Armor/bd-p/en-home-armor

Enjoy. 

Message 9 of 13
Chuck_M
Mentor

@Einrich wrote:

Armor works like a charm on ORBI RBK50 (March 2019). Still interested in an ARMOR vs Box 2 comparison from someone.

I think that may be one person's perception. 

Armor, in my view, is a shipwreck with no value added on Orbi.  In fact, Armor reports Orbi and all satellites as a significant network threat (of course without any additional information). 

Armor also reports other devices as a threat but also indicates those devices have never been scanned.   So which one is it?  

When considering the other devices that it reports as threats -- also without explaination or remediation recommendations, it is more scareware than anything else.  My recommendation is to save your $.

Just one guy's opinion.

Message 10 of 13
Clevelandius
Tutor

It's moot for me, the firmware that allows Armor broke logging in from the app so I can't enable Armor anyway. Nice work Netgear.
Message 11 of 13
Einrich
Star

Well the firmware took twice to work and was updated a day later... Whatever... Could have been smoother.

The Armor went in and told me that none of my machines had any vulnerability issue. I find that surprising. My Mag256 is ok? What about the two samsung tvs? Quid the ps4?

This said... What I m interested in is knowing if the armor monitors traffic on my network? Does it scan packets like an antivirus or is it just a phishing url prevention tool. That I can get for free from a dns provider.

Does it add something to the router's firewall?

Message 12 of 13
Chuck_M
Mentor

An excellent series of questions you will never get answers to....   

And then again, this is the Orbi community not the Armor community....

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7