Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Chrome OS won't connect to Orbi RBR50

ebch
Aspirant

Chrome OS won't connect to Orbi RBR50

I have an Orbi RBR50 running in router mode with a single satellite. Other than the router needing a reboot every few days (annoying, but no online solution seems to work), all 20+ devices on the network connect without an issue.

I recently bought a Lenovo C330 Chromebook and after adding it to the network, it connected without a problem but the speeds were poor to non-existent (0 - 140kbps). I enabled the modem/router's (Arris BGW210-700 - AT&T) wifi radios and connected to those, and had solid speeds.

I tried switching on/off the usual suspects (20/40MHz coexistence, daisy-chain topology, beamforcing, MU-MIMO, fast roaming, etc.) but no luck. 

I couldn't find any threads with with Chrome OS or Lenovo C330 issues. The C330 can connect to both 2.4 and 5.0GHz (and connects w/o a problem to the Arris), so this has to be something specific to the C330's wifi card that isn't syncing with the Orbi settings.

Would love to get any feedback/thoughts/suggestions. Netgear's chat/phone support drops after 90 days, and of course the Chromebook was added  after that.

Thanks.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Chrome OS won't connect to Orbi RBR50

What Firmware is currently loaded?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Modem Combo Units:
This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

Message 2 of 17
CrimpOn
Guru

@ebch wrote:

I recently bought a Lenovo C330 Chromebook and after adding it to the network, it connected without a problem but the speeds were poor to non-existent (0 - 140kbps). I enabled the modem/router's (Arris BGW210-700 - AT&T) wifi radios and connected to those, and had solid speeds.

Bummer that the C330 has no ethernet jack.  When the Lenovo is connected to the Orbi, what does the "Connected Devices" display say about the connection?  i.e. Does it say 5G or 2.4G?  If you have the Orbi "app", what does it say about the C330 "Link Rate"?

Are there any other laptops connected to the Orbi WiFi?  How do they perform?

@FURRYe38is correct that operating two routers back-to-back creates a "Double NAT" situation that causes problems in specific situations. Which Arris port is the Orbi connected to?

Message 3 of 17
ebch
Aspirant

Thanks for your reply:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

What Firmware is currently loaded?

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

15-20 feet

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.

1. 2.4GHz Auto: all devices are fine except Chromebook C330.

2. 2.4GHz Channel 1: all devices are fine except Chromebook C330.

3. 2.4GHz Channel 6: all devices are fine except Chromebook C330.

4. 2.4GHz Channel 11: all devices are fine except Chromebook C330.

5. 5GHz Channel 48: all devices are fine except Chromebook C330.

6. 5GHz Channel 44: all devices are fine except Chromebook C330.

7. 5GHz Channel 40: all devices are fine except Chromebook C330.

Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

10 neighbors with relatively strong signals (3-4 bars out of 4). Only the Chromebook C330 is impacted.

Try enabling Beamforming and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

1. Both enabled. Only the Chromebook C330 is impacted.

2. Neither enabled. Only the Chromebook C330 is impacted.

1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.

The Arris doesn't support true bridge mode. Use passthrough.

2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.

This was the setup I had in place prior to getting the Chromebook. All devices worked except Chromebook C330.

3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

This is the setup I currently have in place. All devices work except Chromebook 330. When I enable the Arris radios (and thereby enable the double NAT), all devices except the Chromebook C330 work when connected to the Orbi. When connected directly to the Arris, the Chromebook works, which gets back to the original question: why does everything have strong performance *except* the Chromebook C330 when connected to the Orbi?

Message 4 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

I would presume if all other devices work with Orbi and the Chromebook doesn't, kind of leads me to think there maybe an issue with the Chromebook.

15-20 feet is too close between the RBR and RBS, 30 feet is starting distances. 

Message 5 of 17
ebch
Aspirant

Thanks for your reply:

@CrimpOn wrote:
Bummer that the C330 has no ethernet jack.  When the Lenovo is connected to the Orbi, what does the "Connected Devices" display say about the connection?  i.e. Does it say 5G or 2.4G?  If you have the Orbi "app", what does it say about the C330 "Link Rate"?

Tell me about it. 🙂 I've debated getting an adapter to test, and/or a third-party wifi card, but it kind of defeats the purpose. When the C330 is connected to either the Orbi in IP passthrough (router) or AP, it connects at 5GHz. Link rate showed 526mbps.

Are there any other laptops connected to the Orbi WiFi?  How do they perform?

Every other device on the network (laptops, desktops, iOS devices) gets 35-50mbps depending on where they are in the house. The C330, by contrast, gets 60kbps (not mbps) unless it's connected to the Arris, where it gets 35-50mpbs.

@FURRYe38is correct that operating two routers back-to-back creates a "Double NAT" situation that causes problems in specific situations. Which Arris port is the Orbi connected to?

The Orbi is connected to port 4 (4-port router/modem). No other devices are hardwired to it.

Message 6 of 17
ebch
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 wrote:

I would presume if all other devices work with Orbi and the Chromebook doesn't, kind of leads me to think there maybe an issue with the Chromebook.

The problem isn't that the Chromebook C330 can't connect; it connects fine to the Arris. So it's specifically a combination of this Chromebook (or probably more specifically, this wifi card) and the Orbi.

I could try another network (e.g., Starbucks) and see if there are any issues. If not, then something specific to the Orbi is probably preventing this card from connecting, which is what I'm trying to get at. I could also try a third-party wifi card instead of the internal one, and if that connects to the Orbi, then it's something specific to the card being unable to connect to the Orbi.

In either case, it's somehow this combination that's causing the problem. I was hoping to be able to troubleshoot a specific setting/config on the Orbi that's causing this card to fail to connect.

Message 7 of 17
CrimpOn
Guru

@ebch wrote:

When the C330 is connected to either the Orbi in IP passthrough (router) or AP, it connects at 5GHz. Link rate showed 526mbps.

Every other device on the network (laptops, desktops, iOS devices) gets 35-50mbps depending on where they are in the house. The C330, by contrast, gets 60kbps (not mbps) unless it's connected to the Arris, where it gets 35-50mpbs.

The C330 connects at 5G.  The Link Rate shows as 526mbps.  The 60kbps is measured using (speedtest.com?  fast.com?)

Is IPV6 enabled on the Orbi?  (Advanced Tab->Advanced Setup->IPV6)

Message 8 of 17
ebch
Aspirant

@CrimpOn wrote:

The C330 connects at 5G.  The Link Rate shows as 526mbps.  The 60kbps is measured using (speedtest.com?  fast.com?)

Is IPV6 enabled on the Orbi?  (Advanced Tab->Advanced Setup->IPV6)

60kbps was measured using fast.net and google speed test... IPv6 is disabled...

Message 9 of 17
CrimpOn
Guru

Not that it will help, but have you tried disabling Bluetooth on the Chromebook?

Message 10 of 17
ebch
Aspirant

@CrimpOn wrote:

Not that it will help, but have you tried disabling Bluetooth on the Chromebook?

Thanks for the suggestion... yep, I've tested with Bluetooth both enabled and disabled, no difference...

Message 11 of 17
MJ0743
Aspirant

I had the same issue with my Acer Chromebook and my new Orbi 6 w/ one satellite. In any event, after running through every configuration I could with no luck, I tried a different spot in the house and it connected fine. I believe my satellite was too close to my router, and I was right in the middle trying to connect. I have 20 other devices without any issue, so it took a while to actually try a different location in the house. Hope this helps others!
Message 12 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

Someting to keep in mind. 

@MJ0743 wrote:
I had the same issue with my Acer Chromebook and my new Orbi 6 w/ one satellite. In any event, after running through every configuration I could with no luck, I tried a different spot in the house and it connected fine. I believe my satellite was too close to my router, and I was right in the middle trying to connect. I have 20 other devices without any issue, so it took a while to actually try a different location in the house. Hope this helps others!

Message 13 of 17
LameGoose
Tutor

Were you ever able to resolve your issue?

I just configured my new WiFi 6 Orbi AX6000 (RBR850 + RBS850), and I’m seeing the same behavior with a couple Lenovo C330 units on my network. All of my other devices connect and perform without issue (mostly Apple devices, HomeKit accessories, and NestCams); unfortunately, these Chromebooks are the outliers.

When I attempt to join my network, I get a generic “unknown” error from Chrome OS, and connection fails.

Things I’ve tried:
-Power-cycling the network (modem and Orbi)
-Wired and wireless configuration of the satellite
-Removing the satellite entirely
-Changing encryption to WPA/WPA2 from WPA2 only

My Chromebooks had no issues with my previous mesh setup (Amplifi HD), and I can currently connect them to my phone’s personal hotspot (workaround so the kids can complete their school assignments).
Message 14 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Please start a new post and post about this over in the Orbi AX forum:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/bd-p/en-home-orbi-ax

Thank you. 

@LameGoose wrote:
Were you ever able to resolve your issue?

I just configured my new WiFi 6 Orbi AX6000 (RBR850 + RBS850), and I’m seeing the same behavior with a couple Lenovo C330 units on my network. All of my other devices connect and perform without issue (mostly Apple devices, HomeKit accessories, and NestCams); unfortunately, these Chromebooks are the outliers.

When I attempt to join my network, I get a generic “unknown” error from Chrome OS, and connection fails.

Things I’ve tried:
-Power-cycling the network (modem and Orbi)
-Wired and wireless configuration of the satellite
-Removing the satellite entirely
-Changing encryption to WPA/WPA2 from WPA2 only

My Chromebooks had no issues with my previous mesh setup (Amplifi HD), and I can currently connect them to my phone’s personal hotspot (workaround so the kids can complete their school assignments).

Message 15 of 17
LameGoose
Tutor

Message 16 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Thank you. 

Message 17 of 17
Top Contributors
Discussion stats