Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

DHCP - How to release IP on RBS50 satellite?

ryanaroha
Star

DHCP - How to release IP on RBS50 satellite?

My satellite connects to the base router via wireless backhaul. Base router has DHCP enabled. First time I turned them on, the satellite requested and received a DHCP address.

I wanted to change the IP addr of the satellite (to an address at the top of the DHCP range, but of course not outside it), so I logged into the the router web-ui from my laptop and created an address reservation to map the satellite's MAC addr to the IP addr I wanted. Next problem: how do I get the satellite to release its DHCP lease and request a new one?

I tried rebooting the satellite. Nope. (Still got original IP.)

I tried removing and re-adding the satellite. Nope. (Same.)

I tried a hardware reset of the satellite and then of course re-added it. Nope. (Same address.)

I was planning to do a firmware downgrade anyway, so finally did that on the satellite, but guess what? ..... It STILL held on to the old IP, ignoring my address reservation.

I then turned off the satellite and left it off for a couple hours, but when I brought it back up, it still got the original IP still.

So I see 3 possible ways to approach this:

1. I could shut down the satellite and just leave it off for a day and hope that the leases the RBR hands out expire in less than a day.
  2. I could find some hidden setting/control on the RBR to trigger the satellite to force a release/renew.
  3. I could find some way to connect to the RBS and force-trigger a release/renew. (I've checked the web-ui of the satellite. It of course doesn't have this.)

Any hints?

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: DHCP - How to release IP on RBS50 satellite?

Go in under Advanced Tab/Setup/LAN setup on the RBRs web page. Select ADD, this will show a list of connected devices. Find the RBS and it's IP address. Select it. Scroll down the page and you find a IP/MAC and Device name entry boxes. You can change the IP address here. Select Save. This will take you back to the Device list. Select Apply, this will reboot the RBR. Power OFF the RBS then back on. The RBS should have the new IP address you configured. 

Message 2 of 6
ryanaroha
Star

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Go in under Advanced Tab/Setup/LAN setup on the RBRs web page. Select ADD, this will show a list of connected devices. Find the RBS and it's IP address. Select it. Scroll down the page and you find a IP/MAC and Device name entry boxes. You can change the IP address here. Select Save. This will take you back to the Device list. Select Apply, this will reboot the RBR. Power OFF the RBS then back on. The RBS should have the new IP address you configured. 

Well, if you read my post, you'll know that I already did this. But okay. I tried again, by which, I mean I browsed to Advanced/Setup/LAN Setup, selected the previous reservation I had made, clicked "DELETE", and then recreated it again.

And this time after a few minutes, yes, it came back up with the correct address. So that's good. Yay.

But also: sigh. I've lost all confidence in Orbi.

Message 3 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

I had a similar problem back in 2017, where an IP camera kept an IP despite having a different IP in the LAN setup table:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/How-to-Force-New-IP-Through-DHCP/td-p/1327677 

Solving it was cumbersome and frustrating.  What I did was create an IP assignment giving the offending number to a different device.  Powered off the camera, then powered on the new device.  Orbi said, "Hello there.  I see you are supposed to have this IP address." and gave it out to the new device.  Than, I powered on the camera.  Orbii said, "Hello there.  I see you want an IP that someone already has, so I will give you the one assigned to you in the table."

I was never confident that (a) I understand how DHCP is "supposed" to work, and (b) that my solution was even close to appropriate.

But, it worked.

Message 4 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

p.s. I know that the Orbi does not "speak".  My imagination runs away with me at times.

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

It should work. It has for me. You do have to power OFF then back ON the RBS once you configure the new IP address. I always use the same configuration when I'm setting up my RBS. Thus I always know what IP address the RBS is using when needed for UI and Debug web page access. 

@ryanaroha wrote:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Well, if you read my post, you'll know that I already did this. But okay. I tried again, by which, I mean I browsed to Advanced/Setup/LAN Setup, selected the previous reservation I had made, clicked "DELETE", and then recreated it again.

And this time after a few minutes, yes, it came back up with the correct address. So that's good. Yay.

But also: sigh. I've lost all confidence in Orbi.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7