Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Device shown as "blocked" in Access Control but can still connect to Orbi and Internet

ChuckieCheese
Luminary

Device shown as "blocked" in Access Control but can still connect to Orbi and Internet

Model: RBK50 with 2 satellites

Firmware: v2.2.1.210

Under Advanced --> Access Control, I have turned on

- Turn On Access Control

Block all new devices from connecting.

This has been working just fine for years. After updating to firmware v2.2.1.210, I added a Raspberry Pi (Linux) and a wi-fi controlled robotic vacuum. As usual, I added the MAC addresses to the Access Control section and both devices can connect to the Internet.

However, under Access Control, both devices are shown as "Blocked". I have edited each device and selected "Allow", rebooted the router and it is still shown as "Blocked".

Going to Basic --> Attached Devices, I noted that both devices are shown as "Blocked" from connecting to either the Satellite or the Router.

Is this just a bug in the UI?

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 16
ekhalil
Master

Re: Device shown as "blocked" in Access Control but can still connect to Orbi and Internet

The UI in the Orbi web interface still has few issues. 

Examples are wireless devices that show as wired, line rates not shown for Router or Satellites, .... etc. I think that this is another UI issue if you can verify that the device access is not really blocked but only shown as blocked in the UI.

Message 2 of 16
ChuckieCheese
Luminary

Re: Device shown as "blocked" in Access Control but can still connect to Orbi and Internet

@ekhalil

Sorry for the delay in responding. I didn't get an email when someone replied, so not sure what happened.

I confirm that when the UI show "blocked" for some devices, it indeed block those devices from connecting. Pretty much ANY new devices (Mac, iPad, IoT, Raspberry Pi, etc.) got blocked with the firmware 2.2.1.210.

All devices that were added PRIOR to firmware 2.2.1.210 are still connecting just fine.

EDIT: this is strange, but after allowing the device to connect, Orbi UI will show the device is now allowed. I logged out from Orbi and re-login and now that same device is shown as "Blocked" again. Here's what happened:

1). Advanced --> Security --> Access Control

2). A bunch of new devices are shown as "blocked"

3). Click on each "blocked" device and select "Allow"

4). UI refreshing and show the device is "Allowed"

5). Log out OR click on other areas within the UI (Administration, Advanced Setup, etc.)

6). Go back to no. 1

7). The same devices that I had allowed to connect is now blocked again (?!).

Another case:

3). Click on "blocked" Device1 and select "Allow"

4). UI refreshing and show Device1 is "Allowed"

5). Click on "blocked" Device2 and select "Allow"

6). UI refreshing and show the Device2 is "Allowed". However, Device1 is now shown as "Blocked"

Message 3 of 16
ekhalil
Master

I think I saw this when I used Access Control previously. A way to recover this is to decativate access control and then -if you want it- activate it again.

I would do the following:

- Go to ADVANCED >> Security >> Access Control

- Select all devices and click on Allow

- Click on Apply

- Unselect "Turn on Access Control" and select "Allow all new devices to connect" and then click on Apply

- Now you have Access Contol deactivated. Please go to another menu or log out an in and make sure that all is still Allowed.

- Now iff you want Access Control then select it and click Apply.

Message 4 of 16
ChuckieCheese
Luminary

I tried the steps above and the problem still exists. As soon as I enabled Access Control again, the new devices are blocked again (?!).

Just for testing, I downgraded to V2.1.4.16 and it worked as before, so I am sticking with this firmware for now.

PS: how do I disable firmware auto-update?

Message 5 of 16
ekhalil
Master

Message 6 of 16
ekhalil
Master

Also please have a look at this workaround for the access control issue from another user, please test if this can help:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-refuses-to-change-status-for-blocked-devices/m-p/1670534/...
Message 7 of 16
sf49er
Aspirant

I think they are have some coding quality issues with their web developers.  I had your experience and no matter what I did short of logging out of the app or web app then logging back, in the system would show my devices as blocked even though I turned off Access Control.  The same is true in the LAN setup where you change the IP address for your router.  The advanced page shows the proper/new IP sequence but the basic page continues to display and incorrect ip address 10.0.0.3  It's hard to find adequate talent out there.  Oh, they could also use some better QA engineers to trap this stuff before it gets out in the wild.   

Model: RBK52W| Orbi Router + 2 Wall-Plugs Orbi WiFi System
Message 8 of 16
dbrown440
Aspirant

I have been having that exact same issue. Did you ever find the cause or fix. I like having access control on, and really dont want to "run around" with it off.

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 9 of 16
ekhalil
Master

@dbrown440 wrote:

I have been having that exact same issue. Did you ever find the cause or fix. I like having access control on, and really dont want to "run around" with it off.

This’s a known issue in the current software (2.2.1.210). 
There’s an ongoing beta software that is being tested now and it seems that the access control issue -among other things- has improvements in the new beta software, so hang on, hopefully a fix is coming soon! 🙂

Message 10 of 16
ChuckieCheese
Luminary

@dbrown440 Unfortunately, not resolution yet. Since this is a firmware issue, we have to wait for Netgear to come up with a new firmware that fixed this.

The issue has been open since November 2018, so I'd recommend downgrading to older firmware and disable auto-update.

Message 11 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Just wondering, before you enabled AC and added devices, did you set up IP address reservations ON the router for your devices before you started adding devices to the control list? 

@ChuckieCheese wrote:

Sorry for the delay in responding. I didn't get an email when someone replied, so not sure what happened.

I confirm that when the UI show "blocked" for some devices, it indeed block those devices from connecting. Pretty much ANY new devices (Mac, iPad, IoT, Raspberry Pi, etc.) got blocked with the firmware 2.2.1.210.

All devices that were added PRIOR to firmware 2.2.1.210 are still connecting just fine.

EDIT: this is strange, but after allowing the device to connect, Orbi UI will show the device is now allowed. I logged out from Orbi and re-login and now that same device is shown as "Blocked" again. Here's what happened:

3). Click on each "blocked" device and select "Allow"

4). UI refreshing and show the device is "Allowed"

5). Log out OR click on other areas within the UI (Administration, Advanced Setup, etc.)

6). Go back to no. 1

7). The same devices that I had allowed to connect is now blocked again (?!).

Another case:

3). Click on "blocked" Device1 and select "Allow"

4). UI refreshing and show Device1 is "Allowed"

5). Click on "blocked" Device2 and select "Allow"

6). UI refreshing and show the Device2 is "Allowed". However, Device1 is now shown as "Blocked"

Message 12 of 16
ChuckieCheese
Luminary

@FURRYe38 no, I added all devices, then setup IP address reservation.

This sholdn't mattered, though, since access control blocking has been working with older firmware for years.

Message 13 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

You might try adding IP addresses first, then adding devices to the AC list. 

If your on v210, you also might ask for the new beta FW thats available aswell:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Looking-for-a-select-group-of-Orbi-Community-members-that-are/...

@ChuckieCheese wrote:

@FURRYe38 no, I added all devices, then setup IP address reservation.

This sholdn't mattered, though, since access control blocking has been working with older firmware for years.

Message 14 of 16
Chettut
Aspirant

The issue is still happening, only half of my devices are allowed and half are blocked.  I bought this item in part for the security this is a HUGE disappointment.  ORBI is not cheap but your competition has this feature working without these issues.

As a software developer, I'd like to offer to provide a fix for this issue, Is there an email address I can send the code to or perhaps a git repository?

Thank you,

Chet

Message 15 of 16
ChuckieCheese
Luminary

It's disheartening that issue still exists since I reported it back in 2018.

For now, I disabled the firmware update and still using the old version, which does not have this issue.

Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7