Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Direct connection to Orbi very high, WiFi download speed slow

kminor7
Aspirant

Direct connection to Orbi very high, WiFi download speed slow

Hi,

I used to get 230+M downloads and 11M upload via WiFi connected devices.

Because I upgraded my internet to Gigabyte service, I replaced my Motorola modem to a Netgear CM1200. 

When I'm hard wired connect to the modem and to the Orbi, I'm getting 950M speeds download and 40M up.

But via WiFi connected devices, I'm getting 30-70M down and 30-40M up.

So there is something affecting my WiFi download speeds only. What should I check for?

I know my devices were able to get better WiFi speeds before and I'm getting great speeds when hard wire connected.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 12
vajim
Master

Re: Direct connection to Orbi very high, WiFi download speed slow

wifi is always going to be slower than a direct connect

you may want to do a search in this forum for there are lots of discussions on the subject.

stand by for zillions of questions

Message 2 of 12
kminor7
Aspirant

I understand WiFi is slower than direct connect. Please read my original post. My wifi download is 25% of what it was before I switched modems. It can't be the modem because both the modem and Orbi unit is getting close to a Gig when directly connected.

The minimum I should be getting is 250+M like I was getting before, but I expected 500-750M if I'm getting a Gig when direct connected.

I believe the R50 is capable of that. I know it's capable of 250+M because I was getting it before. 40M isn't acceptable and must be something that needs to be reset or configuration updated.
Message 3 of 12
vajim
Master

did you let your ISP know you have a different modem?

Message 4 of 12
alokeprasad
Mentor

Try working your way outwards from the Orbi router.

Shut off all satellites.  Power cycle the Orbi router so that it re-acquires the cable modem.  After things settle down (the light on the Orbi goes off), be near the router, power cycle your mobile device, let it connect to the Orbi router, and see what wifi speeds you get.  Hopefully, your mobile device supports 5 GHz connections and connects using that frequency.

If it is still slow, factory reset the orbi router and try again.

If it is all good, then you know that the router is working as expected. Now, power-on one satellite, let it settle down, be close to it, and test with the mobile device.

You can use the web-interface to the Orbi router and check connection speeds. http://orbilogin.com

What-do-the-LEDs-on-my-Orbi-router-and-satellite-mean 

How-do-I-reset-my-Orbi-system-to-factory-default-settings 

Message 5 of 12
vajim
Master

one other tip....do a search in this forum on your new modem....lots of chatter

Message 6 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

What devices are you using to speed test wirelessly? Results depend on design and support on these devices. You'll not see anyting near 900Mbps on 5Ghz AC. Wired you should. I use the CM1200 mode and it's a good modem. Zero problems with it. 

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
Is the Orbi system operating in Router or AP mode? 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?
https://kb.netgear.com/19668/Link-Rate-and-Transfer-Speed

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or may not be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

One User Experience/Configuration:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Most-Stable-Orbi-Configuration/m-p/1941087/highlight/true#M970...

You can find other speed diagnosis steps in the community faq: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/Community-FAQ-My-Orbi-speeds-are-slow-inconsistent-and-don-...

@kminor7 wrote:

Hi,

Because I upgraded my internet to Gigabyte service, I replaced my Motorola modem to a Netgear CM1200. 

When I'm hard wired connect to the modem and to the Orbi, I'm getting 950M speeds download and 40M up.

So there is something affecting my WiFi download speeds only. What should I check for?

I know my devices were able to get better WiFi speeds before and I'm getting great speeds when hard wire connected.

Message 7 of 12
vajim
Master

@FURRYe38 wrote:

What devices are you using to speed test wirelessly? Results depend on design and support on these devices. You'll not see anyting near 900Mbps on 5Ghz AC. Wired you should. I use the CM1200 mode and it's a good modem. Zero problems with it. 

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
Is the Orbi system operating in Router or AP mode? 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?
https://kb.netgear.com/19668/Link-Rate-and-Transfer-Speed

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or may not be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Most-Stable-Orbi-Configuration/m-p/1941087/highlight/true#M970...

You can find other speed diagnosis steps in the community faq: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/Community-FAQ-My-Orbi-speeds-are-slow-inconsistent-and-don-...

@kminor7 wrote:

Hi,

He's already stated he understands how WiFi works

Message 8 of 12
kminor7
Aspirant

Hi, I'm using cell phone, laptops and iPad. Same devices that got me 250M downloads before I switched modems. Distance or interference isn't the issue. I'm in the same place where I was getting 250M an hour before the modem swap. It's like the fact the the R50 is getting a Gig down is causing it to be overloaded and it can't pass on the packets as fast anymore.

All F/W is updated to latest versions. Again this isn't a new install. The Orbi and all WiFi devices are in the same places as and hour prior to the modem swap. 
'The modem and Orbi are giving me Gig speeds when direct connected via Ethernet.

'The WiFi is the part that's comparatively slower than it was before and that part hasn't changed.

Message 9 of 12
vajim
Master

@kminor7 wrote:

Hi, I'm using cell phone, laptops and iPad. Same devices that got me 250M downloads before I switched modems. Distance or interference isn't the issue. I'm in the same place where I was getting 250M an hour before the modem swap. It's like the fact the the R50 is getting a Gig down is causing it to be overloaded and it can't pass on the packets as fast anymore.

All F/W is updated to latest versions. Again this isn't a new install. The Orbi and all WiFi devices are in the same places as and hour prior to the modem swap. 
'The modem and Orbi are giving me Gig speeds when direct connected via Ethernet.

'The WiFi is the part that's comparatively slower than it was before and that part hasn't changed.

OK...and your ISP is?

and....the search engine has lots of folks talking about this same modem.  Good luck

Message 10 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Depending upon wifi design and support, most devices will not have same speed as wired LAN cable. 

@kminor7 wrote:

Message 11 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

@kminor7 wrote:

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7