Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Double NAT troubles with XBox One

ClonedVarient
Aspirant

Double NAT troubles with XBox One

So, Ive got an Orbi Router and 1 Satellite for my internet. Ive called up my ISP and asked if there was any other router between my Orbi and the Internet, theyve already told me no.

My setup has the satellite roughly 20-25 feet away from the main Router and i connect all my devices to the satellite. Im running into a "Double NAT Type" with my XBox One which is causing a strict NAT and preventing me from playing any online games.

Im wondering if the Satellite might be causing the issue, ive spent hours trying to find info on this and ive yet to find anything useful. Currently a wired connection to the main router is not possible and a wired connection to the Satellite would require renovation work to where im living and im hoping to avoid that. If someone could help me resolve this I would be most appreciative.
Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Double NAT troubles with XBox One

Nice of the ISP to comment, but what if they mistaken? 

1. What IP address does the Orbi have on the WAN interface?
    From the Orbi web interface, on the "Internet" screen, what IP address does it say under "Get dynamically from ISP"?
    If the Orbi is the only router, then the IP address should not begin with 192.168 or 10.  Those are "private" IP addresses.
  2. Another method is to open a Windows command window and type "tracert 8.8.8.8" (no quotes.  that happens to be the Google DNS server address).  If tracert has more than one line that shows 192.168.x.x or 10.x.x.x before it shows a "public" IP address, then there are two routers.

Message 2 of 5
ClonedVarient
Aspirant

The IP starts with 192.168 so the ISP guys lied to me or there is something another router..... Im going to have to call them up and see what exactly the installed. Because its just a dish outside with a wire leading inside, which leads to a little black box, which said wire connects to and the Orbi connects to. I had asked them about that little box too, they said it wasnt a router. After I call them up and get a thorough run down of my equipment i will give an update.
Much thanks!
Message 3 of 5

What about the modem in front of the Orbi? What is it?

@ClonedVarient wrote:
The IP starts with 192.168 so the ISP guys lied to me or there is something another router.....

More likely ignorance rather than a deliberate lie.

Message 4 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

@ClonedVarient wrote:
The IP starts with 192.168 so the ISP guys lied to me or there is something another router..... Im going to have to call them up and see what exactly the installed. Because its just a dish outside with a wire leading inside, which leads to a little black box, which said wire connects to and the Orbi connects to. I had asked them about that little box too, they said it wasnt a router. After I call them up and get a thorough run down of my equipment i will give an update.
Much thanks!

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7