Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Factory reset my Orbi in bridge mode, now can't connect

CaptainHook0
Tutor

Factory reset my Orbi in bridge mode, now can't connect

My RBK53 system was working great--for about a week and a half and then became a disaster.  It was dropping about 7% of packets and wreaking havoc on working from home.  After several troubleshooting steps didn't resolve it, I decided to try downgrading firmware as I read it may help and it seemed to fail and I could no longer connect to the network.  I decided no problem, I kept a backup of the config (even though it was very simple) so I'll just factory reset it.  I went through the process on the router and then the two satellites.  The router never came back online and I've tried resetting it multiple times.  I did have it in bridge/AP mode and now see in the troubleshooting section of the app that this is not supported by the app.

The two satellites came back up and are broadcasting an SSID called ORBI57 and I can connect to the internet using the password printed on the sticker on the bottom of them and they are working fine.  However, I cannot configure them without being able to access the router.  

I've tried resetting the router multiple times, it is not requesting an IP address from my DHCP server, it won't respon its previously issued IP, connecting directly to its switch I cannot access it on any subnet (192.168.x.x), and it is not broadcasting any SSID.  How can I access the router to reset the configuration?  It doesn't seem to be bricked as all LEDs behave as expected when resetting and powering up.  Is there anything else I can try?

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Factory reset my Orbi in bridge mode, now can't connect

Do you mean AP mode? Orbi doesn't support actual bridge or wireless bridge modes. 

AP mode info:

https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop
https://kb.netgear.com/26765/Disabled-Features-on-the-Router-when-set-to-AP-Mode

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT or host router that the NG router is connected too?

Message 2 of 14
CaptainHook0
Tutor

Yes, I meant AP mode. Orbi calls it “bridge mode” in the troubleshooting part of the app.

It is connected to a gigabit network switch which is wired into my network. I did connect it straight into the cable modem as well just to try it but no luck there either.

I found some sftp instructions to push the firmware on this forum but it doesn’t respond to the default IP anyway. The firmware was the latest, I tried rolling back to the previous version which worked fine on the satellites but not the router.
Message 3 of 14
CrimpOn
Guru

@CaptainHook0 wrote:

The two satellites came back up and are broadcasting an SSID called ORBI57 and I can connect to the internet using the password printed on the sticker on the bottom of them and they are working fine.  However, I cannot configure them without being able to access the router.  

This is a bit difficult to interpret.  (a) satellites are not "configured".  The Router is configured and passes settings to the satellites. (b) if the satellites are broadcasting an SSID that is printed on the label, devices can connect to the satellites using the WiFi password printed on the label, and devices can connect to the internet, then the router IS working.  Without the router working, there can be no internet connection.

Assuming (a) that the Orbi has been "Reset to Factory", and (b) is broadcasting the SSID/password printed on the product label, then (c) the Orbi should be in "router" mode (that's the default).  Any device successfully connected to the Orbi WiFi should show a "gateway" IP and DNS IP's which will be the IP address of the Orbi router.

Message 4 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT or host router that the NG router is connected too?

What is the Mfr and model# of the ethernet switch in the configuration?

Be sure there is a main host router upstream from the Orbi RBR in AP mode. Be sure to configure the RBR for AP mode using the following information:

https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

@CaptainHook0 wrote:
Yes, I meant AP mode. Orbi calls it “bridge mode” in the troubleshooting part of the app.

It is connected to a gigabit network switch which is wired into my network. I did connect it straight into the cable modem as well just to try it but no luck there either.

I found some sftp instructions to push the firmware on this forum but it doesn’t respond to the default IP anyway. The firmware was the latest, I tried rolling back to the previous version which worked fine on the satellites but not the router.

Message 5 of 14
CaptainHook0
Tutor

I agree it is a bit baffling and I have more information since yesterday.  

Thus far here is what is going on:

• Router -- flashing white as if it is waiting to be configured after multiple unsuccessful (though appearing to be successful) factory resets, no SSID broadcast, will not respond to any IP (even plugged into its switch and using a 192.168.1.X static subnet on my laptop) and not receiving an IP from my external DHCP server.  ICMP/TFTP/etc. unsuccessful to any IP I can think of it may be using.
  • Satellite 1 -- factory reset successful, broadcasting "ORBI57" SSID, wired into my network (and thus the internet), serving internet and working fine.  Responds on web config, but no configuration possible (expected) due to no connection to the router.
  • Satellite 2 -- factory reset successful, broadcasting "ORBI57" SSID, using wireless backhaul to the other satellite, serving internet and works sfine.  Responds on web config, but no configuration possible (expected) due to no connection to the router.  Unplugging satellite 1 causes satellite 2's LED to turn purple and stop working.

Any device connected to this wireless network does show a gateway, but it's my firewall's (pfsense) gateway and no IP address information is provided by the Orbi.  The satellites are receiving an IP address from my DHCP server (Windows Server 2016).

Message 6 of 14
CaptainHook0
Tutor

@FURRYe38 the router was already configured using those instructions.  The problem is the factory reset seems to be failing and since the Orbi is in AP mode, the app will not connect to it.  I cannot access the config of the router at all through any means.

Message 7 of 14
CrimpOn
Guru

@CaptainHook0 wrote:

@FURRYe38 the router was already configured using those instructions.  The problem is the factory reset seems to be failing and since the Orbi is in AP mode, the app will not connect to it.  I cannot access the config of the router at all through any means.

I'm no expert (but cannot help butting in), I would do my very best to stay away from the "app".  It has so few capabilities and lacks access to any of the advanced Orbi configuration options.

Thanks for providing an interesting observation.  Orbi satellites will function as Access Points (AP) even when there is no Orbi router.  My guess is they will not allow devices to "roam" and will not provide any of the advanced Orbi functions, such as controlling acces by MAC address, "naming" devices, etc.  But, what an amazing find!

Have you tried the 30-30-30 Factory Refresh trick?

If the regular factory reset process doesn't work, @michaelkenward described an undocumented way to get an Orbi to factory reset:

Press paperclip in reset hole for 30 seconds
Keep pressing paperclip while removing power
Keep pressing paperclip for another 30 seconds while apply power

Message 8 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

So try a 15 second press of the reset button then release. The top ring LED should flast WHITE then slowly pulsate WHITE. 

Access the RBR at 192.168.1.1 using a wired PC or laptop and web browser. 

If this fails, try @CrimpOns suggestion as well.

@CaptainHook0 wrote:

Message 9 of 14
CaptainHook0
Tutor

Thanks for the 30-30-30 trick, I tried that and it didn't work either.  The power LED does turn to amber and flash as expected, but it never seems to factory reset.  I cannot access it on any IP and it still isn't getting an IP address from my DHCP server.

Message 10 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Seems like the RBR is bad...

Message 11 of 14
CaptainHook0
Tutor

I think I agree.

Just for kicks, I tried to repair one of the satellites to the router.  Pressing the pair button on the router seemed to do nothing and it continued to pulse white on the top LED ring.  The satellite seemed to operate correctly and attempted to pair, but the pair process fair and the LED ring turned magenta indicating the process failed.  

I'm still within the return policy so time to go that route.  Thanks for the suggestions.

Message 12 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes, get it returne and try another. Good Luck. 

Message 13 of 14
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Did you ever mention the firmware version?

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7