Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

How to manually update RBS50 firmware without orbilogin.com

PSone
Tutor

How to manually update RBS50 firmware without orbilogin.com

I have an Orbi Router RBR40 (firmware V2.3.5.32) with 2 satellite RBW30 (firmware V2.3.5.6), and I bought RBS50 and I want to add it as a new satellite, but I have never been able to successfully add RBS50 to Orbi RBR40 .

I read that most likely RBS50 has a different firmware version (I don't know what version of the RBS50, because it can't be added yet), so I have to update the RBS50 firmware first, but how do I update the RBS50 firmware, while the RBS50 isn't listed in the existing configuration .

Is there a way to update the satellite firmware without going through Orbilogin.com?

thank you

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router, RBS50Y|High Performance AC3000 Outdoor WiFi Mesh Extender and Add-on Satellite, RBW30|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Add-on Satellite
Message 1 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: How to manually update RBS50 firmware without orbilogin.com

Already have the most current FW version files downloaded on to this PC. 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/RBR50-RBS50-Firmware-2-5-1-16-Update/m-p/1897955/highlight/tru...

Wire connect 1 PC to the back of the RBS. Factory reset the RBS, wait about 5 minute. The PC will get a IP address from the satellite. it will be 192.168.1.250. Use this IP address in a web browser to log in to the satellites web page. Log in as admin and password. Use the satellites web page FW update feature to select the FW update file that was unpacked from the .zip file. Then factory reset and then re-sync the satellites to the RBR

Message 2 of 12
PSone
Tutor

Hi FURRYe38

Thanks for fast advised, and I have done what you are saying, but when I reset and had wait untul 2 minutes, and never get amber, instead it has slowly white flashing.

Then I tried to connect RBS50 to PC and found the IP address is 169.254.41.210, when I type on the browser, it says "Site can't be reached"

Can you suggest other method?

Thanks.

Message 3 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Did you wait a full 5 minutes before checking the IP address status on the PC? DHCP on the RBS doesn't enable till about 5 minutes in after you reset the RBS by pressing the back reset button for 15 seconds then release. 

Message 4 of 12
PSone
Tutor

Yes, I have wait around 5 min, and the IP address has found on the network, on systems pref on macos.

When I press the reset button around 10-15 second, the LED turn flashing RED, after I released, the LED turn solid Green.

This RBS50 is never connected from the beginning I bought, I bought this item on ebay, I dont think the RBS50 is working when I got it.

If you have any other suggestion, please advise.

Message 5 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Ya if you don't see a 192.168.1.something address on your PCs LAN adapter when directly connected to the RBS after the reset and waiting 5 minutes, then the RBS is bad. 

Not sure if this method will work to try to recover it or not:

https://kb.netgear.com/000059633/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-TFTP-client

If this all fails, I would return the unit to the seller if possible. 

Message 6 of 12
PSone
Tutor

My problem is exactly the same with these guys, please see attached.

Message 7 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

If this all fails, I would return the unit to the seller if possible.

Message 8 of 12
PSone
Tutor

Thanks for the advise, I will try to update firmware via TFTP client.

Will update the progress.

Thanks, its late at night here.

Message 9 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Smiley Wink

Message 10 of 12
PSone
Tutor

Hi, I've try to update via FTP, but no luck, the RBS50 dont have any IP address, so I couldnt update even via FTP or direct connect from PC to RBS50, and I assume the unit was defect.

Thank you so much for your advise, if the unit is working, your two advised should work.

Once again, thank you so much.

Message 11 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Ya seems like the RBS is just bad. Send it back and try another RBS. 

Good Luck. 

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7