Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Iphone wont re-establish wifi connection & iphone mostly stays in 2.4ghz instead of 5.0ghz

steeve725
Guide

Iphone wont re-establish wifi connection & iphone mostly stays in 2.4ghz instead of 5.0ghz

Hi, Everyone.

I got my Orbi RBK33 yesterday. It came with the Orbi Router RBR40 and 2 plug in satellite RBW30 units.I set it up and it updated its firmware from version 2.0.0.56 to firmware 2.2.1.210

I'm having an issue with devices not reconnecting to wifi if they dropped the wifi

I'm not tech savy, I simply know how to do a couple things, like Change the SSID (Like I did), password, hide the network, and a couple other things.

I don't know if this is a known issue with the Orbi, or a setting I have.

Today, my I noticed my ecobee 3 thermostat was not connected. I tried several times to connect to wifi, it wouldn't. I then remembered I hid the ssid and just for curiousity I un-hid my network name and I was able to reconnect the ecobee first try.

I then hid my network name again.

I left the house and came back and I noticed my Iphone 7 (ios version 12.1.4) was not connected to wifi. I tried to get it to connect and it wouldn't connect, just like the ecobee. I un-hid my network and just like before I was able to get it connected 1st try to wifi.

I've left the name visible and haven't had a problem since.

Also, I noticed a few times that when I come home my phone will automatically connect to 2.4 instead of 5.0. Is there a setting to keep that from happeneing?

My home is a 2 story 2122 sq ft home.

Thanks.

Model: RBK33| Orbi Plug-In WiFi System
Message 1 of 3
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Iphone wont re-establish wifi connection & iphone mostly stays in 2.4ghz instead of 5.0ghz

Hiding the Wi-Fi SSID is not typical.  Some devices have documented problems connecting to a Wi-Fi network that does not broadcast the SSID.  Since the Orbi Wi-Fi requires a password to connect, most people see "no problem" broadcasting the SSID.  I recommend leaving it alone.

Individual devices connect to whichever Orbi channel "seems best" at the time.  5G signal does not carry as far as 2.4G. There is a good chance that the iPhone detected the 2.4G band first and connected before the 5G band became strong enough.  Over time, the Orbi and iPhone will realize that 5G offers a better connection, and the iPhone will switch bands without you doing anything.  That is what all of the mesh Wi-Fi systems with a single SSID for both 2.4G and 5G attempt to make seamless to the user.

Message 2 of 3
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Iphone wont re-establish wifi connection & iphone mostly stays in 2.4ghz instead of 5.0ghz

I would update the RBR40 and satellites:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/New-NetGear-Orbi-Firmware-Version-2-3-0-32-now-available/td-p/...

Update the satellites first then the RBR. 

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enableding Beamforming and MIMO.

Forget the wireless network on the iphones then re-connect the iphones to the wireless SSID again.

@steeve725 wrote:

Hi, Everyone.

I got my Orbi RBK33 yesterday. It came with the Orbi Router RBR40 and 2 plug in satellite RBW30 units.I set it up and it updated its firmware from version 2.0.0.56 to firmware 2.2.1.210

I'm having an issue with devices not reconnecting to wifi if they dropped the wifi

I'm not tech savy, I simply know how to do a couple things, like Change the SSID (Like I did), password, hide the network, and a couple other things.

I don't know if this is a known issue with the Orbi, or a setting I have.

Today, my I noticed my ecobee 3 thermostat was not connected. I tried several times to connect to wifi, it wouldn't. I then remembered I hid the ssid and just for curiousity I un-hid my network name and I was able to reconnect the ecobee first try.

I then hid my network name again.

I left the house and came back and I noticed my Iphone 7 (ios version 12.1.4) was not connected to wifi. I tried to get it to connect and it wouldn't connect, just like the ecobee. I un-hid my network and just like before I was able to get it connected 1st try to wifi.

I've left the name visible and haven't had a problem since.

Also, I noticed a few times that when I come home my phone will automatically connect to 2.4 instead of 5.0. Is there a setting to keep that from happeneing?

My home is a 2 story 2122 sq ft home.

Thanks.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7