Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Link TWO Orbi Routers and TWO Orbi Satellites ?

ConradSchiel
Aspirant

Link TWO Orbi Routers and TWO Orbi Satellites ?

20170326 - The performance of my first Orbi and Satellite is so good, I bought another Orbi and Satellite.

My question is simply, can I connect the new Orbi Router and Satellite to the installed system, or only the Satellite ?   Either way, the result should be absolutely phenominal.   Thanks Team.

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
ConradSchiel
Aspirant

Re: Link TWO Orbi Routers and TWO Orbi Satellites ?

You may wish to try what I did with my two Orbi systems.   I hope this works for you too.

1.  Disconnect original Orbi Router ethernet cable from your internet Router

2.  Disconnect original Orbi Router and Satellite from grid power

3.  Connect Second Orbi Router by ethernet cable to your Internet Router

4.  Complete Setup of Second Router and Satellite as per installation instructions.

5.  Place original Orbi Router at one extreme end of your house and connect via ethernet cable to your internet router

6.  Place original Satellte about a quarter of the width of your house from original Orbi Router

7.  Place second Orbi Router at the opposite extreme end of your house and connect via ethernet cable to your internet router

8.  Place second Orbi Satellite one quarter from the extreme end and from your Second Orbi router

9.  Reconnect grid power, have a cup of tea or coffee, adjust positions slightly as needed.

Enjoy super connectivity all through your house and even outside.

View solution in original post

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 5 of 6

All Replies
onezerosix141
Aspirant

If your planning to run it under the same network, you just need to buy Orbi satellite.
Message 2 of 6

@ConradSchiel wrote:

20170326 - The performance of my first Orbi and Satellite is so good, I bought another Orbi and Satellite.

My question is simply, can I connect the new Orbi Router and Satellite to the installed system, or only the Satellite ?   Either way, the result should be absolutely phenominal.   Thanks Team.

you can connect the new sat to the existing orbi router , if you access the orbi router and select add sat it will connect so you have 2 sats running as well as the orbi router

the orbi router must be in the middle of the 2 sats as thats how it works as its not mesh

the new orbi router cant be used in the above config but can be kept as a spare if the current orbi router fails

however you would want to have a pretty huge house or coverage area as just the orbi router and 1 sat cover 4000 sq feet and you can have a situation where you would have too much wifi running the 3 together in a small house or appartment

location is the key here , you want the sat to be far enough away from the router as to not overlap the wifi signal too much or this will cause roaming issues with your clients

Message 3 of 6

I really think it is sad that you cannot get one router to act as satelite to another Orbi Router.

Especially when no one can buy the damn satelites as single packages 😞

I have been forced to buy two packs of RPK50's for a pretty high amount of money and then I can through router number two into the trash.

@netgear: Is there really not coming a software update later that can support this?

Message 4 of 6
ConradSchiel
Aspirant

You may wish to try what I did with my two Orbi systems.   I hope this works for you too.

1.  Disconnect original Orbi Router ethernet cable from your internet Router

2.  Disconnect original Orbi Router and Satellite from grid power

3.  Connect Second Orbi Router by ethernet cable to your Internet Router

4.  Complete Setup of Second Router and Satellite as per installation instructions.

5.  Place original Orbi Router at one extreme end of your house and connect via ethernet cable to your internet router

6.  Place original Satellte about a quarter of the width of your house from original Orbi Router

7.  Place second Orbi Router at the opposite extreme end of your house and connect via ethernet cable to your internet router

8.  Place second Orbi Satellite one quarter from the extreme end and from your Second Orbi router

9.  Reconnect grid power, have a cup of tea or coffee, adjust positions slightly as needed.

Enjoy super connectivity all through your house and even outside.

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 5 of 6

Hi Conrad,

Thank you for your suggestion.

I will of course try this out.

Many thanks and have a nice day/evening/night whereever you are 🙂

/Lars

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements